bkknight95

The 1972 Project: Northern Illinois Huskies

That concept football set for Oregon reminds me of something that I made way back then, though I used dark green instead of their original shade of green. I guess we agree on the thing that the Mariota-era Mach Speed wing pattern is way, way much better than what the Ducks have worn recently and what they have unveiled for the 2018 season. Great work!

On 8/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, Vitalogy26 said:

As a Duck, I love love your concepts! 

That basketball identity is super sharp and something I’d love to see on the court. I also happen to agree with you about thr football unis peaking in 2015ish. If you hsd time, i’d love to see your design in the other Oregon colors (for example: volt and dark grey, grey and black, neon green and black, etc). 

That'll probably be done in a new thread, since I'm trying to focus on the green,yellow and white as their school colors. 

On 8/24/2018 at 9:31 PM, Clintau24 said:

I agree with you that the "sharper wings" look was one of the best. I like the two tone look as well. I think the weakest part is the wings on the pants. Something just doesn't look right there. It honestly reminds me of the tire treads on adidas pants.

But damn, I want that tri-colored Duck baseball hat right now!

4g1swHO.png

I came up with a few pants options to test out. One has a tweaked wing pattern, closer to the spring game uniforms from 2014. One has DUCKS down the side. The other has just the O on the hip. 

On 8/23/2018 at 3:57 PM, dcameronh said:

These are so great!  Nice work!  Do you still plan on doing the Idaho Vandals even though they moved down to FCS?  I would really love seeing those if you still do them.

When I started sketching out these teams, Idaho was still an FBS team, so yes I will do the Vandals. But the BSU fan in me put them at the bottom of the list, so spoiler alert, they're the last team to go 

One of my favorite series on this board. I hope you do some concepts for my Colorado State Rams one day!

sS7uOol.png

I was glad ISU was getting new uniforms. Then they got new uniforms. I like the direction they were trending with the uniforms, but then they added black in the mix and it just ruined the look. The black alternate football uniforms look like something TCU would wear. I'm no expert but I think that looking like a conference opponent is something that should be avoided at all costs. I think the new basketball uniforms are a good place to start, especially with the shorts cyclone pattern 

reIn9VA.png Hdpihrx.jpg 

krkuCJH.png o9Mg93Z.png

Football - I mentioned above that I wasn't a huge fan of the new uniforms, so there isn't much kept from those if anything at all. ISU needs one helmet. Cardinal helmet with a cardinal facemask. I-State logo on the side. Jerseys have a Browns-esque stripe that terminates at an angle on the chest. Kept the ISU number font. Home collar is yellow, road and alternate are cardinal. On the cardinal uniform, I used the darker red in some places, which started out as being accidental but in the end I liked the way it looked so I kept it. On the road uniform, used cardinal and yellow on the stripes and the cyclone on the pants. Yellow alt returns with just yellow and cardinal. 

Hockey - Hockey was a little tough. I tried to get the stripe to work as best I could on the jerseys and I think I did. I think that the pants turned out super slick with the cyclone design down the side. I-State logo on the front of all three jerseys. Not a whole lot more to say here. 

Baseball - I didn't realize that ISU had a baseball program and then had to cut it in the early 2000's and that they're one of 4 Power 5 teams to not have a varsity baseball team. Anyways, one hat, cardinal/cardinal with the I-State logo on the front. For the home jersey and alternate yellow, Cyclones on the front. On the blood clot uniforms, Iowa State. Did the same cut off stripe style on all three uniforms. Cyclone pattern on the pants which as I write this and look at it more, looks a little big but I'll let you guys look at it at and see what you think. Striped socks as well. 

Basketball - Finally for basketball where half the look originates, I didn't change much. I changed the tops which had the cyclone pattern going up the sides in line with the shorts which i changed to match the striping on everything else

My MLB series is finally winding down which means I can devote more time to this series, but school is also in gear again so we'll see how it goes. C&C welcome!

HlqidCR.png

It's Fun Belt time! Georgia State isn't a team we see on the boards every day, but they're on the list and they happen be up next, so here we go! Georgia State hasn't had a bad uniform in my opinion, and that's a compliment given that most of their uniforms have come straight outta the catalog. I wanted to give the Panthers a bit of a more unique identity, without sacrificing the simplicity that has been established by the Panthers. I found the best way to achieve this goal was to introduce red to the uniforms, even in just a trim style setting. 

o78PkrW.png gElpOtN.jpg 

HujfdgV.png 71p3jz3.png

Football - As I mentioned above, red was introduced into the uniform color scheme after previously being limited to the logos. That being said, I strove to keep a simple look about the uniforms while still making it feel unique to GSU. Helmets, there are 2 main helmets: white and blue. I developed a stripe that I felt worked with previous stripes the Panthers have worn and one that fits their scheme. Panther head on the side of both helmets. Jerseys have the same stripes on the sleeves as on the helmet. I also went back to their number font from before the Under Armour switch because I simply like the way that it looks. GSU "giants" looking logo just under the base of the collar. Pants are easy and have the stripe down the side. Now the alternates. I went against my better judgement and used black as the alternate color. Red as a major color didn't look right to me, and they didn't look bad IMO in black. So to do that, I eliminated red from the black uniform(s). 

Hockey - Forgive the terrible pun, but based on my Google research, the GSU Ice Panthers team has been put on ice for some time now. Nevertheless, no team left behind. The hockey uniforms almost took on a Rangers esque vibe to them with the way the striping and colors worked out. Panther head on the front of the home and away uniforms, w/GSU logo on the shoulders. Pants are striped, socks match of course. Black uniform has GSU on the front, Panthers on the shoulders and no red. 

Baseball - As baseball tends to be in most of these cases, these are a bit more reserved than the rest but still match up with everyone else. One hat for the home and road and that's blue. The white hat didn't look good to me. Unforms are simple, underlined Panthers on the chests, stripes on the sleeves and pants. I left the socks blank because it also just looked better than striped socks did. Alternate is all black because that's the thing that's been established. Biggest and only difference is GSU on the chest rather than Panthers. 

Basketball - Basketball jumped the shark a little bit. I didn't like straight up and down stripes on these uniforms, and of course I wanted to keep these uniforms looking like they're still in the same family. The uniform design on these started in the shorts. I liked the template UA put the Panthers on, namely in the shorts design which worked well with the Nike template which resulted in the different heights of the stripes. Once I had that, the jerseys got a collar to shoulders design that i felt worked well with the shorts. Panthers on the home and away, GSU on the alt. 

C&C welcome!

For GSU, I think the black uniforms (but not head to toe black) look better than the blue.

Beautiful 

Got lucky with a quick turnaround on the next team up: 

Db5Wblo.png

They were once heralded as the "next Boise State". them and a long list of teams that somehow keeps growing. Football opinion aside, Adidas hasn't ruined the Huskies. they even had a pretty snazzy throwback a couple years ago. But they aren't one of Adidas "premier" programs lets call them, so they don't get the most attention and they don't have a signature look to build off of which is a shame because they have a great set of logos to work with. So to combat that, I created a stripe that was partly based off the beveling in the logos. I also wanted to make sure that I separated NIU from their other red/black conference mates. 

xOPWTLv.png PQH9ceU.jpg

uU9nSfL.png hRLT8mL.png

Similarly to Georgia, the stripe is actually the same across all the uniforms, just one color is lost on the colored uniforms and all of them are present on the white uniforms. 

Football - Beginning with football, stuck with the black helmets as the main helmet. I liked the silver facemask from these uniforms so I used it on both the white and black helmets.  Went with the Huskie - NIU logo on both helmets. Jerseys all have the stripe in some capacity. Black and red uniforms make their respective colors disappear whereas on the white uniform I made it into more or less a sleeve cap design. Changed the number font to something closer to the wordmark font. Stripes work the same ways on the pants with the vanishing colors and whatnot. 

Hockey - NIU hockey currently wears Ottawa Senators uniforms which has to go. So their new digs match the new design with the stripes on the sleeves and the hem. Huskie-NIU logo on the chests, Away and Alternate uniforms have a black shoulder yoke. Pants have the stripes and the socks sensibly match their jerseys. Interlocking NIU logo on the pant legs. 

Baseball - Not a lot different from the rest of the uniforms. Black hat with the Huskie-NIU logo, Red with the interlocking NIU and helmets to match both. On the white jersey, I did what I did on the football uniform and filled the sleeves with the stripes. Other uniforms lose the color that matches the base color. HUSKIES on the front of the home and away, Huskie and number on the red alternate. Pants have the stripe down the side, striped red and black socks.

Basketball - I had a tough time with these which happens a lot more than I wish it would with the basketball uniforms. The Huskies have worn/still wear(?) Bulls inspired uniforms which doesn't look bad but doesn't match the new scheme I'm trying to implement. So I kept the relative simplicity of the Bulls uniforms and tweaked them to match the new striping. Otherwise its HUSKIES on the home and away, NIU on the alt with the new stripe found throughout.

C&C welcome!

For NIU, I'd work to maintain the three-stripe pattern across all colors. What I'd do is put a red stripe where the large upper black stripe would be on the black jerseys.

For the baseball jerseys, I think it makes more sense to put the interlocking NI on the black hats and the NIU logo on the red hats.  You can either do that or recolor the logos; as it stands right now, I can't read them. 

On 9/14/2018 at 5:39 PM, stumpygremlin said:

For NIU, I'd work to maintain the three-stripe pattern across all colors. What I'd do is put a red stripe where the large upper black stripe would be on the black jerseys.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:48 PM, scottyeagle said:

For the baseball jerseys, I think it makes more sense to put the interlocking NI on the black hats and the NIU logo on the red hats.  You can either do that or recolor the logos; as it stands right now, I can't read them. 

jHsWRf9.png 0e8IP5E.jpg

0mBHghu.png CTRkAHk.png

something like that? the striping change didn't result in a whole lot of change across the board. Mostly the change happened in the black uniforms. For the baseball hats, I changed the all black hat to the interlocked NI, red to the Huskie-NIU, and added a black and red hat with just the Huskie. 

How come this is the first time I'm looking at these?!? These are amazing @bkknight95!! Keep up the good work!