The Hockey Project

waj287

I don't really know why I'm doing this.

I have planned to create an entire hockey "association" with a North American major league, minor and junior leagues, European leagues, national teams, and an entire website on Google for the North American league.

I know that this is a HUGE undertaking for just myself, but I do have plans to try and mitigate this that I will fully reveal at a later time. 

Here's the game plan:

• 36 teams in a North American league (names, logos, uniforms, and a history for the league and its teams)
    • This league will get its own site in the near future that will receive constant updates as I complete teams
  • 200+ teams in a minor league system (a large pool of affiliates that affiliated teams will be able to call up and send down; think the current MiLB) (names only; with a smaller history than the major league)
  • An as-of-yet undetermined junior league with an as-of-yet unknown amount of teams (likely cities only plus a rundown of how the junior leagues work in relation to the minors and majors)
  • 6 or 7 European leagues; with one large primary league (like the KHL) with the rest being national/regional leagues (names, logos, and jerseys)
  • National teams; don"t quite know how many countries I will do and which of those I will pick (logos and jerseys)

The first team of the major league will ideally be up tomorrow, and I hope to have the site done over the weekend.

Hope you'll enjoy this massive project!

"Hi, everybody!" - Dr. Nick Riviera

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

I decided to go ahead and get the first team up on here.

This is the Vancouver Seabirds:

m4Cq3DL.png

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

Ambitious project! Kudos. Nice start here. I think the tan and gray are too similar on the color wheel. If you don't want to darken the primary color, then it looks good where you have the logo stroked in black, I would bring that motif throughout the rest of the design for contrast. The dark red on the eye is cool and fierce-- I think you there's an opportunity to use that elsewhere to tie it all together. I would either make the wing feathers on the alternate black or also stroke them. They get lost imo.

Looking forward to the rest of the project.

18 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Ambitious project! Kudos. Nice start here. I think the tan and gray are too similar on the color wheel. If you don't want to darken the primary color, then it looks good where you have the logo stroked in black, I would bring that motif throughout the rest of the design for contrast. The dark red on the eye is cool and fierce-- I think you there's an opportunity to use that elsewhere to tie it all together. I would either make the wing feathers on the alternate black or also stroke them. They get lost imo.

Me too. And by the way, I’ve got a request for waj287, the Calgary Razors.

33 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Thanks! I'll make the adjustments.

12 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

Me too. And by the way, I’ve got a request for waj287, the Calgary Razors.

Thanks as well! Thank you for suggestion, but I do have pretty much every name of the major league created by now. I'll keep the Razors name for the minors, though. Thanks again!

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

5 minutes ago, waj287 said:

Thanks as well! Thank you for suggestion, but I do have pretty much every name of the major league created by now. I'll keep the Razors name for the minors, though. Thanks again!

Okay, I understand. BTW, I have some other requests for team nicknames:

Wheels

Yard Dogs

IceCats

Whales

Braves

9 hours ago, RightGuard said:

How frequently do you hope to reveal more teams?

About one a day, with maybe some skips here and there. Not frequent, though.

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

21 minutes ago, gwl144 said:

I fully expect this to be the greatest thing to ever happen to this website. I'm not saying it will be, but based on what it is, it seems like it.

I think that is somewhat of an overestimation, but thanks for the positive feedback!

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

The colors for the seabirds are terrible. There's no way that you'd be able to see the stripes from the upper deck on the dark jersey, and the names and numbers on the road would not be seen by anyone. They'd basically be playing in practice jerseys. 

I mean this could be a super cool series on the forum, but it's not starting off so good...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

13 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The colors for the seabirds are terrible. There's no way that you'd be able to see the stripes from the upper deck on the dark jersey, and the names and numbers on the road would not be seen by anyone. They'd basically be playing in practice jerseys. 

I mean this could be a super cool series on the forum, but it's not starting off so good...

Seconded. Your palette needs contrast. Also, I'd look at some photos of bird's heads to guide your drawing. What you have now looks like a weird cross between a hawk and a flamingo.

rATMcmK.png

I actually like what you tried to do. I like the colors, but the stripe on the bottom, I don't know what it is, but it just looks really awkward. Maybe add some blue to make it pop a little more and to go better with the "sea" part of the Seabirds theme. Not even a lot. Changing the bird head might also work. Not bad but can be better. Where subtle blue can go is in the eye instead of the red. Maybe the collar too, but I actually really like the sand color. It's different.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, waj287 said:

About one a day, with maybe some skips here and there. Not frequent, though.

This concerns me. To post at this rate, with a project this size, means you don't really have any time to revise or improve your designs.

rATMcmK.png

Hi everyone! Sorry about my extended absence—I was on Spring Break and I was unable to get WiFi working on my laptop, and I had little time to work on concepts. (BTW, I was still able to access the site because my phone had data)

I plan to upload the updates to Vancouver and the next team tomorrow, but I will postpone the site until I have more teams made. 

Thanks for your patience!

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

And I'm back...well, sort of. I am currently getting the next team done and it will be on here in about half an hour, but I wanted to get the new Seabirds on here first.

L15XLDQ.png

CHANGES:

• Gold brightened and silver darkened to improve contrast between colors
  • Maroon added as a tertiary color
  • Wordmark updated
  • Alternate logos cleaned up a bit
  • Primary changed to make it look more like a "seabird"

See you back here in half an hour, I guess.

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

YicLOFM.png

And this is the second team, the Calgary Mavericks!

Also, per request from @Whittier S, I will, from now on, upload a new team 3 times a week, with updates once a week to all the teams that need them.

Thanks!

hLykCVo.png

0CCuMRY.png

vgiUIL2.png

These jerseys are really lacking, especially with color balance. Vancouver really needs some grey on the away, and Calgary needs some gold on their away, and both teams need white on their home jerseys. These designs also need more complex designs and more stripes, especially Calgary. Try to avoid having yellow and white touch, since they bleed into each other. 

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Archived