neo_prankster

The World (League) According to Neo (P Diddy joins the WLAF!)

WLAFlogo.gif

The 1991 and '92 seasons in the World League went as scheduled. The London Monarchs shut out the Barcelona Dragons 21-0 to win the first World Bowl in front of the London faithful at Wembley. The Sacramento Surge defeated the Orlando Thunder 21-17 in Montreal to win World Bowl '92. There was talk about shelving the World League to retool it without any of the North American teams, but the NFL owners ran in to resistance. The sports talk radio stations in Birmingham, San Antonio, Orlando and the other North American markets were dumbfounded by the amount of angry phone calls. Europe also had its share of angry fans calling to their local radio stations, especially in London where a few passionate Monarch fans express concerns that any time taken off to retool would hurt their team's fan support. After the backlash reached uncomfortable levels, the NFL owners voted 25 to 2 with one abstention to keep the WLAF open for '93.

When the NFL announced it would expand by 2 teams for 1995, Memphis was in the running for a short while until potential owner and FedEx founder Fred Smith picked up the paper one day. The Memphis Commercial Appeal ran a survey that revealed a large number of Memphis fans were unwilling to pay hefty NFL ticket prices. Smith, who was to co-own the Memphis franchise with Elvis Presley Enterprises, offered to drop his NFL expansion bid in exchange for an expansion franchise in the World League. When the NFL owners agreed in August of '92 to keep the World League up and running for '93, Smith paid a handsome, generous expansion fee split among the WLAF teams already in existence. Smith chose the "Hound Dogs" as the team's nickname and the colors chosen were forest green and copper. Bidding is still open for the second expansion team that'll join the Hound Dogs in 1993. Among the bids are Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Paris, Milan, Mexico City, Omaha and a bid from Raleigh-Durham looking to revive the Skyhawks.

DX41ZAjUQAAHjzh.jpg 

WORLD BOWL CHAMPS

1991: London Monarchs

1992: Sacramento Surge

1993: Amsterdam Admirals

1994: Ohio Glory

1995: Amsterdam Admirals

1996: London Monarchs

1997: Amsterdam Admirals

1998: Orlando Thunder

1999: Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks

GREY CUP CHAMPIONS

2000 Memphis Hound Dogs

2001 Montreal Alouettes

2002: Amsterdam Admirals

2003: Ottawa Renegades

2004: London Monarchs

2004 Teams

EUROPEAN
East

Amsterdam Admirals

Frankfurt Galaxy

Rhein Rhythm

Stockholm Aesir

West

Dublin Druids

London Monarchs

Scottish Claymores

Manchester Machine

Central

Barcelona Dragons

Paris Musketeers

Rome Centurions

Milan Vipers

CANADIAN

East

Montreal Alouettes

Ottawa Renegades

Toronto Argonauts

Atlantic Schooners

Central

Hamilton Tiger Cats

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Thunder Bay Muskies

West

BC Lions

Boise Miners

Calgary Stampeders

Edmonton Eskimos

AMERICAN
East

Baltimore Stallions

Ohio Glory

Orlando Thunder

Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks

Central

Birmingham Fire

Memphis Hound Dogs

Oklahoma Wranglers

San Antonio Texans

West

Las Vegas Outlaws

Los Angeles Avengers

Mexico City Aztecs

Sacramento Surge

15 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

Nice reimagination, even though NFL Europa went on until 2007.

Thanks. I hope to make this more entertaining than my Driveball thread that I lost interest in.

Which market do you like for that second expansion slot?

For the second, I would rather choose the Amsterdam Admirals, you know, the team that joined the league during its revival in 1995.

5 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

For the second, I would rather choose the Amsterdam Admirals, you know, the team that joined the league during its revival in 1995.

Just added a poll for everyone to vote on. ;)

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

Just added a poll for everyone to vote on. ;)

Really? Where’s it at?

Just now, Gman13 said:

Really? Where’s it at?

On top of the original post.

Oh, got it! By the way, I just placed my vote. I’m going for Edinburgh. Nickname, the Gladiators.

I really like the looks of this logo, and it is much better than I could do, but I think you maybe need to invest some time into learning about how to run an actual program to create logos. Don’t get me wrong, I like the unis, name and colors, but it just doesn’t really compare to actual renderings of logos.

Not trying to be an ass, but thats a big reason why I stopped following your previous fiction thread, so I am sure it is the same for others. The story was fine, but the logos are what really brings us here. I would love to say otherwise, but anything other than above average logos created on a graphic design program really wont catch on. Thats why the PHL and the AFA are such great threads. Just how I feel. I will be following this for now. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

Oh, got it!

No need to trash up the threads with comments like this.

1 minute ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I really like the looks of this logo, and it is much better than I could do, but I think you maybe need to invest some time into learning about how to run an actual program to create logos. Don’t get me wrong, I like the unis, name and colors, but it just doesn’t really compare to actual renderings of logos.

Not trying to be an ass, but thats a big reason why I stopped following your previous fiction thread, so I am sure it is the same for others. The story was fine, but the logos are what really brings us here. I would love to say otherwise, but anything other than above average logos created on a graphic design program really wont catch on. Thats why the PHL and the AFA are such great threads. Just how I feel. I will be following this for now. Good luck!

No need to trash up the threads with comments like this.

What’s wrong with that?

Bring the Skyhawks back!! 71XLl3xaZuL._SY587_.jpg 

5 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

What’s wrong with that?

Comments liike “oh thanks!” are completely unnecessary. This isn’t like texting, this is a thread. Asking questions because of not paying attention and saying stuff like “oh, cool” is just unnecessary. Add stuff to the thread, don’t junk it up. I’m done putting info with nothing to do with the thread on this page. You can PM me if you have another question.

4 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Bring the Skyhawks back!! 71XLl3xaZuL._SY587_.jpg 

The identity of the Skyhawks is so unique and cool that I would love to see him bring them back. All options are great though.

1 minute ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Comments liike “oh thanks!” are completely unnecessary. This isn’t like texting, this is a thread. Asking questions because of not paying attention and saying stuff like “oh, cool” is just unnecessary. Add stuff to the thread, don’t junk it up. I’m done putting info with nothing to do with the thread on this page. You can PM me if you have another question.

The identity of the Skyhawks is so unique and cool that I would love to see him bring them back. All options are great though.

I also see that the Skyhawks played one season in the league’s inaugural season. They’ll come back from renovations.

How about if I did an expansion in back to back seasons? Yay or nay?

Just now, neo_prankster said:

How about if I did an expansion in back to back seasons? Yay or nay?

Yay it is!

57 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I understand where you come from that hand drawn usually doesn’t garner the looks of rendered graphic design, but as a person who doesn’t have the opportunity to do graphic design at the moment, hand drawing logos and art is something I love to put a lot of time and just as much effort as some graphic design logos, I don’t know if you were saying that but I hope you don’t think we don’t try. 

@neo_prankster A lack consistent templates and preview of the logos themselves and the progressions of the team identities is really what I think drove driveball out, not trying to tell you how to run your threads, but if you wanna keep up with the likes of AFA and PHL, or maybe even Dashball, all of which deserve heavy credit to the great work there, you have to keep up and kind of copy the way they present stuff. Hopefully this one catches on, your drawing are really good and I hope this gets more attention. Sorry for ranting, :PGood luck

Here's a template I whipped up...

DX5bVizVwAAX1DU.jpg:large

All I need is a good helmet graphic to go with it.

Quick bump.

Here are the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, one of the teams bidding for the 1993 expansion. If selected, they'll be a continuation of the original 1991 franchise. This time, the owner group if selected will include names like Bill France, Jr and Felix Sabates.

DX5jgF-VoAAj0GJ.jpg

Just as a reminder: no polls are allowed in the concepts forum.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Quick bump.

Here are the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, one of the teams bidding for the 1993 expansion. If selected, they'll be a continuation of the original 1991 franchise. This time, the owner group if selected will include names like Bill France, Jr and Felix Sabates.

DX5jgF-VoAAj0GJ.jpg

I like how you've had a go at your own template.

I would like to see the shoulder patch either the way you had on your original sketch or bring the template around slightly to show them off properly.