Sign in to follow this  
Waffles

New(?) Logos on NBA "Mash Up" hats

I stumbled on these two styles of NBA hats made by '47 Brand, most of which have logos I hadn't seen before (and don't seem to appear on most teams' pages on the mothership):

https://www.lids.com/47-brand/style_nba-mash-up-47-mvp-cap?page=1

https://www.lids.com/47-brand/style_nba-mash-up-47-clean-up-cap

I'm wondering where these logos came from - the league, the teams, the manufacturer? Are they non-canonical? Some of them I kind of like, and they all seem to at least be executed well and with an understanding of the team's overall branding.

They look like they're from the manufacturer. I think I've seen caps like this before?

1 hour ago, Waffles said:

I stumbled on these two styles of NBA hats made by '47 Brand, most of which have logos I hadn't seen before (and don't seem to appear on most teams' pages on the mothership):

https://www.lids.com/47-brand/style_nba-mash-up-47-mvp-cap?page=1

https://www.lids.com/47-brand/style_nba-mash-up-47-clean-up-cap

I'm wondering where these logos came from - the league, the teams, the manufacturer? Are they non-canonical? Some of them I kind of like, and they all seem to at least be executed well and with an understanding of the team's overall branding.

They look to be '47's take on a sort of "ligature" series (and seemingly a homage to the New Era and Nike ligature lines of 15-20 years ago). Not bad.

The NFL and New Era had some decent logos in the 90s; 

il_340x270.1305287270_4548.jpg

Sixers one is pretty nice, with the "P" obviously standing for "Process".  I'd rather it be darker if I was ever going to wear it, though I only wear hats when exercising so it doesn't really matter.  If it was flex fit I'd probably get it.

Those are some sweet logos. If the teams were smart, they'd pick some of 'em up.

Most of these are pretty good, but I have no idea how they came up with the one for the Clippers. It matches nothing in our entire identity.

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

Those are some sweet logos. If the teams were smart, they'd pick some of 'em up.

Bucks & Suns, especially. Loved those designs. 

Speaking of NBA hats I saw some hats with the shorts design on the side.

33 minutes ago, bwburke94 said:

Lots of the hats are "image not available" for some reason.

Yeah same thing happened to me. If you click into them you can see that hat though. 

Tons of great designs here, shame not all 30 teams have a cap done. 

Seeing the Nets hat made me think of the 1941-42 Brooklyn Americans (NHL) jerseys.

hwl?set=sku[20976935],c[2],w[400],h[300]&call=url[file:product] Americans13.png

These hats remind me of when Starter?made alternate logos for their NFL hats and 2004’s Nike made MLB caps. 

3 hours ago, tubby34 said:

These hats remind me of when Starter?made alternate logos for their NFL hats and 2004’s Nike made MLB caps. 

My first thought was of Zephyr's X-Line collection from the early 2000s that made angry, 'roided up versions of college mascots:

notre-dame-dhs-x-line-green-fitted-zephySYRZHS0010_full_2048x2048.jpg?v=14882210

On 3/17/2018 at 11:33 AM, Lights Out said:

Most of these are pretty good, but I have no idea how they came up with the one for the Clippers. It matches nothing in our entire identity.

To me, it looked like the mast and sail on an actual clipper ship.

A lot of these would make for nice secondary logos, except for the Magic's which looks like a 'C' rather than an 'O'.

Atlanta, Portland, and that Golden State W are my personal favorites.

Wish the Pistons one wasn't a hot pile of trash, but just like everything Pistons related lately- namely the team itself- ofcourse, it is.