Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

What I could see happening:

-AAF survives it's inaugural 2019 season.

-Before their 2020 seasons the AAF & XFL announce that their champions will play each other in a minor league super bowl.

-Leagues merge for 2021.

-New league folds before 2022 season.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Mac. 

Will Salt Lake do well? I hope so. They love RSL.  They supported the AFL franchise ok. But Memphis? Southmen...Showboats...possible WLAF team...Mad Dogs...Maniaxx. Orlando gets a pass. Different time, different place now but consider...a couple of NFL preseason games....Blazers...Renegades....Thunder...Rage...Tuskers. And for some reason, if the Carolina Panthers decide to move, they will certainly look at Orlando. I know they love Orlando City and the Magic. They supported the AFL Predators for many years. Birmingham would be stupid. San Antonio would be stupid. San Diego, not so sure. Don't forget the USFL originally granted a franchise to SD only to wind up in a bizarre Phoenix-LA-Oakland swap. Yes, I know, SD USFL had stadium issues. St. Louis? I think they would support. Are they going northeast? I think they have to for CBS's sake. 

Yes...it is about marketing, marketing, marketing....all franchises should have been named at once. The name the team contest? How many people will respond? That is the key.

6 hours ago, NYC Cosmos said:

I agree with Mac. 

Will Salt Lake do well? I hope so. They love RSL.  They supported the AFL franchise ok. But Memphis? Southmen...Showboats...possible WLAF team...Mad Dogs...Maniaxx. Orlando gets a pass. Different time, different place now but consider...a couple of NFL preseason games....Blazers...Renegades....Thunder...Rage...Tuskers. And for some reason, if the Carolina Panthers decide to move, they will certainly look at Orlando. I know they love Orlando City and the Magic. They supported the AFL Predators for many years. Birmingham would be stupid. San Antonio would be stupid. San Diego, not so sure. Don't forget the USFL originally granted a franchise to SD only to wind up in a bizarre Phoenix-LA-Oakland swap. Yes, I know, SD USFL had stadium issues. St. Louis? I think they would support. Are they going northeast? I think they have to for CBS's sake. 

Yes...it is about marketing, marketing, marketing....all franchises should have been named at once. The name the team contest? How many people will respond? That is the key.

With CBS only airing week 1 and the championship game on terrestrial TV, I doubt they care much. 

Their "game of the week" is on unrated CBSSN, so AAF will have to pick up a portion of the cost of production, like CUSA does for their games airing on that network. This seems more and more like a brokered deal than CBS writing checks.

Yeah, the CBS connection is being way, way overblown by anyone who's looking at this objectively.  CBS is covering production costs on these broadcasts and maybe - maybe - splitting advertising revenue with the league on a 50/50 basis.  They literally have nothing invested in this yet, and what they will put into it will be maybe - maybe - $100,000 a game in production costs.  That's covered by five, maybe six :30 ads on CBS Sports Network.

nav-logo.png

On 5/16/2018 at 12:10 PM, NYC Cosmos said:

Re: SLC: Sorry folks, I don't do Twitter. Hate the damn thing. 

I always think about joining Twitter, but because of the catch-22 where you need likes to get follows and follows to get likes, I could never get the validation I crave. All I can do is sit back and behold as some account called @thatfeelwhen posts something like

her: come over

me: uh i'm playing fortnite
her: you can put it in my ass
me: principalskinnerclimbingoutthewindowinthesteamedhamssketch.jpg

and gets 122,000 likes in a day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Personally I think it’s a smart move to have instantly recognizable names coaching the teams. They are all certainly proven commodities to one extant or the other as head coaches and if nothing else the name recognition could serve to pique the interest of potential fans that may be on the fence. It definitely makes more sense than naming a bunch of nobodies as the head coaches. In my opinion, a start up league doesn’t have the luxury at this point to name “the next great up and coming coordinator” as a head coach.

3 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Personally I think it’s a smart move to have instantly recognizable names coaching the teams. They are all certainly proven commodities to one extant or the other as head coaches and if nothing else the name recognition could serve to pique the interest of potential fans that may be on the fence. It definitely makes more sense than naming a bunch of nobodies as the head coaches. In my opinion, a start up league doesn’t have the luxury at this point to name “the next great up and coming coordinator” as a head coach.

The next up and coming coordinator wants nothing to do with a start up league, so the AAF doesn't really need to worry about that :-)

It's where I sit.

15 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The next up and coming coordinator wants nothing to do with a start up league, so the AAF doesn't really need to worry about that :-)

If he's been on a staff for a while and needs a shot,this is a way to take it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Personally I think it’s a smart move to have instantly recognizable names coaching the teams. They are all certainly proven commodities to one extant or the other as head coaches and if nothing else the name recognition could serve to pique the interest of potential fans that may be on the fence. It definitely makes more sense than naming a bunch of nobodies as the head coaches.

Sure worked in every attempt before, right?

They're just there for the check since most aren't getting one now.

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

And then you're out of the queue for an additional 4 to 16 months due to the hiring process for NCAA and NFL. With NCAA assistant coaches getting multiyear deals in greater volumes, you search for some stability and take it.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

And then you're out of the queue for an additional 4 to 16 months due to the hiring process for NCAA and NFL. With NCAA assistant coaches getting multiyear deals in greater volumes, you search for some stability and take it.

Most assistant coaches that aren't in the top 25 programs rarely stay put more than three to four years if even that long. Especially if the money is better at the AAF level than say Kent State. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If he's been on a staff for a while and needs a shot, he's not an up and coming coordinator.

It's where I sit.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:10 AM, NYC Cosmos said:

Re: SLC: Sorry folks, I don't do Twitter. Hate the damn thing. 

Don't have to join it to read it*.

*-Unless the account is Private.

Hate all you want, but that's how they appear to communicate with the public.

It wasn’t the “retread” and “waiting to retire” coaches that killed the USFL, the on the field product was pretty stinking good. It was the escalating salaries trying to steal NFL talent away without the deep pockets or incoming revenue to sustain the bidding war and finally Trump running roughshod and wanting to move to the fall.

I’ve said this to many of friend that have ribbed me about watching the CFL...they tell me that it’s an inferior and bush league or minor league product, not worth watching because it’s not a NFL level professional league. I always counter by asking if they enjoy a high schoo game or a lower level college game now and then and of course they do. It’s not only about the level of talent of the players, but is the level of talent between teams on a fairly equatable enough level to produce a fun and exciting product to watch.

I firmly believe there is enough “almost good enough” players out there to have and sustain a viable and fun to watch on the field product if the management and direction of the league is handled well enough.

Once again though, time will tell...

18 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

1. Your name stops being mentioned, and you're no longer a "hot" coordinator.

2. You're almost guaranteed to fail, and even if you do a great job, it's practically impossible for an NFL GM to rate you because the league's talent level is generally low and all over the place, so who the hell knows how much you had to do with anything?

3. Your pay would likely be less than half of what you're making as an NFL coordinator.  Maybe less than 1/4.

4. What DFWabel said - if you need to go to the AAF for a shot, then you're not an up-and-coming coordinator.

If you're an assistant DB coach and want to have at least one HC position to put on your resume, in hopes of maybe returning to the league as a higher-level assistant?  Then sure.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

It wasn’t the “retread” and “waiting to retire” coaches that killed the USFL, the on the field product was pretty stinking good. It was the escalating salaries trying to steal NFL talent away without the deep pockets or incoming revenue to sustain the bidding war and finally Trump running roughshod and wanting to move to the fall.

I’ve said this to many of friend that have ribbed me about watching the CFL...they tell me that it’s an inferior and bush league or minor league product, not worth watching because it’s not a NFL level professional league. I always counter by asking if they enjoy a high schoo game or a lower level college game now and then and of course they do. It’s not only about the level of talent of the players, but is the level of talent between teams on a fairly equatable enough level to produce a fun and exciting product to watch.

I firmly believe there is enough “almost good enough” players out there to have and sustain a viable and fun to watch on the field product if the management and direction of the league is handled well enough.

Once again though, time will tell...

Paragraph 1: Please tell us about the retreads since in the XFL, UFL, and the FXFL when they tried to play.

Paragraph 2: The reason why I don't go to HS games is that I'm not in HS and unless you've got a kid playing or in the  band, it's really not for you. 

Paragraph 3: You sound like an agent since there are 830 agents certified. Only 2,880 (90 x 32) players will be invited to camp under contract. And of those 2880, only about 1,696 (53 x 32) will make a regular season roster and another 320 will make a practice squad.

The 400+ injury replacement dudes on these AAF rosters aren't good enough, but for possibly 4 to 5%.

Season 1 will likely be called a "success" by CBS/CBSSN, but a true failure at the box office as they'll struggle to average 15K/game.

Archived