Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Now that the Patriots have made it to their third straight Super Bowl, how many of us are looking forward to the start of the AAF season?

I knew the Chiefs were screwed when they lost the coin toss and alas another Patriots super Bowl yippee. I'm not watching the Super bowl done with the NFL.

We now have 3 leagues coming, if only 1 can make it then great at least its an alternative..this AAF seems to have their heads on straight so far, a team where i live, i'll give it a chance

I just wonder if they are starting the season too early...right after the Super Bowl.

Maybe beginning in March would be better to give football fans a break maybe....guess we'll see. the (original) XFL did this and we all know how things turned out LL

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen to First Look Sponsored by The Clio Awards -- January 21, 2019 by SBJ/SBD #np on #SoundCloud

The XFL and AAF were discussed this morning. Conversation starts at about the 11 minute mark and runs to nearly the podcast end, which was just over 20 minutes.

16 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Now that the Patriots have made it to their third straight Super Bowl, how many of us are looking forward to the start of the AAF season?

I am, after watching the Pats hopefully take home ring number 6!

Charlie Ebersol’s Alliance of American Football kicks off on Feb. 9, six days after the Super Bowl, with games on the broadcast network CBS — which will have just aired the Super Bowl. CBS, which will carry a promo for the AAF on Super Bowl Sunday, also will have the league’s championship game on its broadcast network in April. Its cable channel, CBS Sports Network, is committed to carry at least one AAF game per week.

The AAF also is in talks to have NFL Network carry several of its games. Sources describe an NFL Network deal as likely, adding that one could be finalized over the next several weeks. NFL Network is in more than 65 million homes and has more distribution than CBS Sports Network.

https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/aaf-reportedly-lines-up-distribution-deal-with-cbs-while-the-xfl-is-in-talks-with-fox-and-espn.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Them on NFL Network might actually be pretty big.

45 minutes ago, raysox said:

Just shows more support from the football mothership. Which can’t be a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, raysox said:

This was discussed in the SBJ podcast I embedded above.  In the staff's discussion of the AAF, one of them (Austin Karp) talked about the AAF's inability to sell to advertisers due to the large majority of games airing on CBSSN.  Since the network is not rated, they don't know the ROI when buying ad time.  Terry Lefotn said that while the AAF may have selected the right markets, Karp returned that the markets which typically want more football are in fact markets with NFL teams already. Lefton still added that the overhead is too great for much success. 

50 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It could be a pretty big deal and the NFL Network needs spring programming.

Big deal in increased access only because NFLN is rated.  They'd still be charged airtime.  The combine would easily outrate it, but the AAF would also need it as a lead in on Saturday and Sunday. The flag football league airing on NFLN last year didn't garner 100K viewers. 

There have been a few of these leagues that have come and go, or never even went because they never got off the floor. What have people seen that makes the AAF (or XFL too I guess) seem like this is the league that's going to work? That's not rhetorical, I'm actually asking. 

I see people here and other places talking about the AAF being the next big thing and a competitor to the NFL (I mean, really?). I guess I'll believe it when I see it. 

IbjBaeE.png

On 1/20/2019 at 10:47 PM, neo_prankster said:

I'm with you. How fair is it that the Patriots get a free home playoff game every year? It's not even a challenge to win the AFC East.  It's time for a football "minor league" in the US to flourish.

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

There have been a few of these leagues that have come and go, or never even went because they never got off the floor. What have people seen that makes the AAF (or XFL too I guess) seem like this is the league that's going to work? That's not rhetorical, I'm actually asking. 

I see people here and other places talking about the AAF being the next big thing and a competitor to the NFL (I mean, really?). I guess I'll believe it when I see it. 

Its not going to be a competitor to the NFL. People are just excited because it's more football, and actually a league that has a good plan. They plan to actually work with the behemoth.

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Right now, there's a lot of anger and frustration towards the NFL over its officiating among other things. That's why I'm personally optimistic about the AAF.

Plus I still miss the WLAF.

I thought I heard a few months back that the AAF was going to stream all of their games through their official app or something. Is that still happening? I no longer have CBSN on my DirecTV Now package so the only games I'll be able to see is the two games CBS will be broadcasting.

1 minute ago, Tracy Jordan said:

I thought I heard a few months back that the AAF was going to stream all of their games through their official app or something. Is that still happening? I no longer have CBSN on my DirecTV Now package so the only games I'll be able to see is the two games CBS will be broadcasting.

I do hope full games or at least highlights will be available on the AAF social media pages.

1 minute ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Yes, when launched, the app is supposed to stream games.

More importantly to the AAF, it is, more importantly, a gambling portal, but know for sure there will be lots of disappointed folks who try to bet or play daily fantasy on the app but will find out one of the two is still illegal in the state they reside in. 

8 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Is the AAF app totally free or do you have to pay for certain stuff?

It isn't available yet, so who knows.  They basically have two weeks to get it to the marketplace so people can have it days before kickoff.  And when it goes live, they have little room for errors.

Archived