Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

Just now, Skycast said:

More like the offensive line protection is a problem...they just need a little more time.

I agree.  I suspect a lot of people won't be willing to give them the league that time, but I think once it hits its stride, it'll be a fun league to watch to fill the football void.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Skycast said:

More like the offensive line protection is a problem...they just need a little more time.

Homeboy, the AAF had the same time as the XFL, yet you expected more?

They both had four weeks.

http://www.all-xfl.com/xfl/pressrow/archive/trainingcamps.shtml

They knew OL issues before and that was before the prevalence of the Run/Pass option aka Hal Mumme/AirRaid/Texas/Austin Westlake offense.

The major part of their "development" is for the QB to work under Center, but also for the OL t know how to pass block. Tonight did not illustrate growth in either.

25 minutes ago, BengalsJunkie said:

i don't think the orlando number is "great" but it was raining so it could've been worse.

Alamodome Lower bowl + Mezzanine Level  seats 29,810 + 7,204

Orlando seats about 45K now.

Attendance is one thing, gross sales is another. 

8 hours ago, BengalErnst said:
11 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I wish that we would see the implementation of the most sensible rule, the elimination of offensive pass interference. The offence and defence should not be on equal footing on a pass. It's the offence's ball; so the receiver should be entitled to do whatever he needs to do to catch it, including pushing away the defender.

I’ve heard a lot of dumb things on this board but this is close to the top. How is a defender suppose to have any chance if the receiver is allowed to do whatever they want before catching the ball?  You basically want both teams to just not field a defense?

What an absurd comment.  Though it's a wonderful example of straw-man building.

Of course teams could defend passes.  Clashes between a wide receiver and a defensive back do not occur on every pass.  But, when such clashes do happen, the point is that the restrictions on contact should fall solely on the defensive player.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What an absurd comment.  Though it's a wonderful example of straw-man building.

Of course teams could defend passes.  Clashes between a wide receiver and a defensive back do not occur on every pass.  But, when such clashes do happen, the point is that the restrictions on contact should fall solely on the defensive player.

I don't see a straw-man. Clashes do occur between receivers and db's pretty much every pass and your rule is pretty much allowing the receivers to do whatever they want to a db. You even say as much by saying the receiver should be entitled to do anything, including pushing the receiver.

How could a pass be defended if the receiver is allowed to just shove the db to the ground every time the ball is thrown to them?

IEI5Tg1.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I don't see a straw-man. Clashes do occur between receivers and db's pretty much every pass and your rule is pretty much allowing the receivers to do whatever they want to a db. You even say as much by saying the receiver should be entitled to do anything, including pushing the receiver.

How could a pass be defended if the receiver is allowed to just shove the db to the ground every time the ball is thrown to them?

Here again you are engaging in mischaracterisation. No, the wide receiver obviously should not be able to just shove the defensive back to the ground while the ball is in the air.

But in those instances when both players go up for the ball at the same time, the defensive back has to make sure that his arms and his body don't collide with the receiver. What I am saying is that the receiver should have no such restriction; he should be allowed to put his arms and his body wherever he needs to put them in order to make the reception, or in order to prevent the defensive back from intercepting.

Pass interference on the part of an offensive player should be regarded as a logical impossibility.

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Alamodome Lower bowl + Mezzanine Level  seats 29,810 + 7,204

Orlando seats about 45K now.

Attendance is one thing, gross sales is another. 

Well, here's a relevant blurb from the latest story on the AAF website:

" The entire night felt just like real football, just as The Alliance promised (starting with the tailgating in the parking lot despite chilly weather). The football was competitive and the crowd of 27,857 -- which included 10,000 military guests -- was spirited. The place was rocking, giving the Commanders a decided home-field advantage before their fans could learn all their names."

Emphasis mine. Also, sort of bothered by the whole "I Can't Believe It's Not the NFL" angle they're going after. Of course it isn't, I can tell by the fact that the offenisve lines acted more like a sieve than their supposed role of a protective team of five men. But, as someone who once played as an offensive lineman, I'm not suprised. They need real game experience to properly gel and even NFL offensive line units take a season to really work as a unit rather than five individual players.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Here again you are engaging in mischaracterisation. No, the wide receiver obviously should not be able to just shove the defensive back to the ground while the ball is in the air.

But in those instances when both players go up for the ball at the same time, the defensive back has to make sure that his arms and his body don't collide with the receiver. What I am saying is that the receiver should have no such restriction; he should be allowed to put his arms and his body wherever he needs to put them in order to make the reception, or in order to prevent the defensive back from intercepting.

Pass interference on the part of an offensive player should be regarded as a logical impossibility.

22 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But I wish that we would see the implementation of the most sensible rule, the elimination of offensive pass interference. The offence and defence should not be on equal footing on a pass. It's the offence's ball; so the receiver should be entitled to do whatever he needs to do to catch it, including pushing away the defender.

The receiver should not be able to just push the defender away but instead the receiver should be able to just push the defender away.

A bit of sloppy wording on my part.

To be clear: any pushing of the defensive back should be allowed only when both players are going up for the catch, not before.

A gratuitous push at any other time can be penalised as unnecessary roughness. But to apply the concept of pass interference to a player on the offence makes no sense.

The San Diego-San Antonio game was easily the better of the two games last night only because the game was closer and there was some defense out there... the Commanders sure can play some defense. The best part is that these two teams meet again in two weeks out in San Diego.

8 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Wait, is an Orlando team... good? What type of sorcery is going on here?

Orlando Rage were one of the best in XFL until it lost both of their QBs. Orlando Thunder made World Bowl II with only one loss before losing to Sacramento.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived