Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

Re: attendance...it was raining down there earlier--that may be a reason. (Not an excuse, though.)

On a whole 'nother note...this Quentin (?) Patton guy #11 is really making a name for himself on the field. It's only one game, but I hope he can keep this effort up throughout the season. (And yeah, we seen that disputed catch call. Heck, give the man the break--he's been hustling all day out there.)

And did Trent Richardson just score a touchdown AND a 2-pt conversion???? (All of Pensacola just gasped in disbelief!)

I think I'm about to adopt the Iron as my Alliance squad...Lord help me. 🤔

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Wait, is an Orlando team... good? What type of sorcery is going on here?

To be fair, the Orlando based Florida Tuskers of the defunct UFL were pretty good back in 2009-10 lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 hours ago, Quillz said:

Reminds of how the XFL actually did give a few ideas to the NFL. Specifically, the "Sky Cam" was first used by the XFL and later adopted by the NFL.

Actually, SkyCam was first used in college.  NBC brought it to the party, and would have introduced it to the NFL the second they had broadcast rights.  The XFL has nothing to do with it. 

Well...the teams did only get about a month's worth of training camps in (if that), so I personally ain't expecting a crisp product right out the gate. But I will credit the Alliance with this: they at least have a strong vision and have invested heavily into that vision, and that itself speaks volumes. (I think it also helps that the NFL itself is lending it's support, as well.)

I think the on-field play will get better as the weeks pass on. It's a 10-week season (if I heard correctly), so there's still some time to gel. But given what it is, I enjoyed watching the game today between Memphis and Birmingham. 

(And I'm getting one of those dark gray Birmingham Iron hoodies as soon as I can find one.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

39 minutes ago, BengalsJunkie said:

that was some pretty freaking sloppy football. the thing i'm seeing on twitter and other places is that a lot of people are being pretty forgiving of the lack of quality. i guess that's what happens when you don't try to sell yourself as something you're not. 

I wonder how much of this is because of the XFL 30 for 30. A lot of that doc was about how they rushed to get on the field and the teams were terrible, but by all accounts were way better by the end of the season. Problem was that virtually everybody had checked out by then. So I suspect some people have heard that and decided to be a bit more forgiving.

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Actually, SkyCam was first used in college.  NBC brought it to the party, and would have introduced it to the NFL the second they had broadcast rights.  The XFL has nothing to do with it. 

Yeah, but the Jacksonville Jaguars brought back in-stadium hot tubs. Which I guess makes sense considering the Khans are getting into the pro wrestling business.

There's a reason the NFL is so apprehensive about cutting preseason down from 4 to 2 games like players have wanted.

The AAF made the same mistake the XFL did. The same reason the XFL isn't starting this year is it's not enough time to get things situated. And it's tough to make a first impression a second time.

54 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I wonder how much of this is because of the XFL 30 for 30. A lot of that doc was about how they rushed to get on the field and the teams were terrible, but by all accounts were way better by the end of the season

No, they weren’t. They really, really weren’t. 

Watch the documentary on “The Big Game at the End” linked above and then tell me that the quality of football was anything higher than “laughable”. 

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, they weren’t. They really, really weren’t. 

Watch the documentary on “The Big Game at the End” linked above and then tell me that the quality of football was anything higher than “laughable”. 

Having actually watched the entire season. All 30 available regular season games and all three playoff games. Yes, the game play was so much better at the end of the year over the first week of the season. Even Week 2 was so much better. Some would say the Chicago-LA game in Week 2 was the best game of the entire season. Went to OT. But all anyone cares to remember is the generator ran out of fuel and there was dead air for a few minutes before switching to the Orlando game.

The big problem with the XFL was the 'this is real football' rules meant scoring was difficult even for the most potent of offenses. Orlando was the best team in the league but lost their starting QB Brohm and the last couple weeks bumbled into the #1 slot in the East for the playoffs. Where they played, easily, the fourth best team San Francisco. Who beat them because by that point Orlando was a shell of their former selves.

The cross-over playoff was a horrible idea because it meant Chicago, who probably should have been the best team in the east after that QB injury (they won Week 10 over Orlando). So, what should have probably had been the title game was the semifinal. LA won it, but it was a good game. San Francisco just ground Orlando down in a game that wasn't as close as it seemed by the score. Orlando was stymied.

So, you get a team that just lost 24-0 to LA in Week 10 playing two weeks later and lost 38-6. It wasn't a shock or a surprise. Plus, of all the venues to have the title game, LA hosting it at the Coliseum was about the worst possible outcome. The Hell Hole in San Fran would've been good, Orlando, or Las Vegas would have been great crowds.

XFL was talking about neutral site at Las Vegas but decided the higher seed would get it. Assuming Orlando, who was 6-0 at one point, only loss to LA, and then 8-1 before that egg laid against Chicago in Week 10. XFL set themselves up for failure by thinking Orlando was a shoe-in to host. And if they didn't do the crossover, it would've been Chicago-LA, which was 39-32 (OT) and 33-16 in the semifinal.

42 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The big problem with the XFL was the 'this is real football' rules meant scoring was difficult even for the most potent of offenses. Orlando was the best team in the league but lost their starting QB Brohm and the last couple weeks bumbled into the #1 slot in the East for the playoffs. Where they played, easily, the fourth best team San Francisco. Who beat them because by that point Orlando was a shell of their former selves.

The cross-over playoff was a horrible idea because it meant Chicago, who probably should have been the best team in the east after that QB injury (they won Week 10 over Orlando). So, what should have probably had been the title game was the semifinal. LA won it, but it was a good game. San Francisco just ground Orlando down in a game that wasn't as close as it seemed by the score. Orlando was stymied.

So, you get a team that just lost 24-0 to LA in Week 10 playing two weeks later and lost 38-6. It wasn't a shock or a surprise.

Sounds like you agree with me - bad football.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Sounds like you agree with me - bad football. 

Sounds like you didn't read.

The best team's QB, and arguably the best QB in the league, went down late in the season. Because of the cross-over playoff structure, instead of Orlando-Chicago and LA-SF semifinals, Orlando got pitted against SF. After seeing the Chicago Week 10 game, there was no way Orlando's offense was going to put it together against Chicago or San Francisco in Week 11.  But Chicago, despite 5-5 (because with 8 teams, there was a whole group of teams right at 5-5 or 4-6), was the third best team in the league and it wasn't much disputed. LA-Chicago played a great regular season game and the semifinal rematch was a great game. But not as flashy a score (33-16 or whatever). LA still would've won the title against Chicago, but Chicago was the much better team to face LA.

Just poor playoff structure. Orlando with Brohm against LA with Maddox would've been a great title game. Instead, Chicago goes down in the semifinal, and SF had no business winning a semifinal except dumb luck.

You equate 'good football' with competitive football. There is a difference. A 40-8 game can be 'good football'. And bad football can be highly competitive.

They've saved the best game for last this week. Arizona looks to be one of the better teams, same as Birmingham and Orlando.  One thing Neuheisel has been great at doing is working with quarterbacks so it looks like he made the right choice so far. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, See Red said:

Wish this Arizona/Salt Lake game would've been the national game last night.  Would have been a much better first impression for the league.

Salt Lake with some of the worst timeout usage I've seen.

The focus would've been on the attendance, or lack thereof.

Archived