Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

43 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Why not?

I'll link it again, for what seems to be the ninth time in the last six months

https://news.berkeley.edu/2010/04/08/stadium/

The AAF would fall under this specific, court approved term:

Subject to further review under the California Environmental Quality Act, a cap on “capacity” events — programs attended by more than 10,000 spectators, exclusive of Cal Bears games and graduation events — of nine such events in any three-year period, with no more than four occurring in any one-year time frame, of which no more than two may exceed 30,000 spectators, through 2025.

Now go tell whomever in your office this fact.

Berkeley also has had a 10% professional sports tax on the books since 1974. It's 10% of gross receipts. The code number is 9.04.175.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I watched most of their coverage from this past weekend and the main thing they said was basically, “we’re definitely the minors and everybody here wants to get the hell out and into the NFL AND THAT’S OKAY.” 

Absolutely.  

There’s nothing wrong with being a minor league.  I don’t use the term as an insult or slur but as the only description that fits.

The AAF is minor league football.  And that’s totally okay, they should aim to be the best minor league football they can be. 

Really, that’s the difference with the AAF and USFL. The USFL tried to be a “big league” competitor to the NFL, which worked... for about a year. The AAF knows they’re a minor league, and instead of trying to compete with the NFL (which would be a death sentence) they’re doing all they can to work with it. This could end as the AAF becoming the “D-League” of the NFL, which I think everyone would be ok with.

ExJworW.png

18 hours ago, GFB said:

I love the concept of Arizona State students going on spring break. You go to Arizona State... every day is spring break if you want it to be. 

But it’s not Lake Havasu City. That’s basically the choice for ASU students. Also 58 school districts are basically divided within the cities and most of them divide the high schools and elementary school districts

48 minutes ago, Gary. said:

But it’s not Lake Havasu City. That’s basically the choice for ASU students. Also 58 school districts are basically divided within the cities and most of them divide the high schools and elementary school districts

Wait, 58 school districts? Is it common in Arizona for cities to have that many? Because in Florida, every county only has one, except for a few cases where there’s two (I believe that Ft Lauderdale and Miami schools are separate districts, as are Tampa and St Pete). The bulk of the entire Orlando metro area is only covered by one - Orange County Public Schools.

ExJworW.png

2 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Wait, 58 school districts? Is it common in Arizona for cities to have that many? Because in Florida, every county only has one, except for a few cases where there’s two (I believe that Ft Lauderdale and Miami schools are separate districts, as are Tampa and St Pete). The bulk of the entire Orlando metro area is only covered by one - Orange County Public Schools.

You realize Ft. Lauderdale (Broward) and Miami (Dade) are in different counties, as are Tampa (Hillsborough) and St. Petersburg (Pinellas), right?

Most Deep South states have county-run school districts.

43 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

You realize Ft. Lauderdale (Broward) and Miami (Dade) are in different counties, as are Tampa (Hillsborough) and St. Petersburg (Pinellas), right?

Most Deep South states have county-run school districts.

I didn’t, actually - I thought they were in the same counties. But that makes sense that they aren’t. I guess, like you said, it’s just a Southern thing.

ExJworW.png

On 2/6/2019 at 5:58 PM, dfwabel said:

Reports are that Head Coaches earn $500K and the salary pool for assistants is $750K total.

Coaching salaries/expenses might be 60% higher.

In conversations with sources around the league, FootballScoop has learned that AAF head coaching salaries break out roughly as follows:

— $500,000 for head coaches
— $200-250,000 for coordinators
— $75-150,000 for position coaches

A review of publicly-available AAF rosters found each staff employs between 11 and 13 total coaches, putting a ballpark figure for coaching staff expenditures at $2 million per staff and $16 million for the entire league. Polian favored established names — Steve Spurrier, Mike Riley, Mike Singletary — to serve as its inaugural roster of head coaches but, moving forward, a half-million dollar salary would be a tempting offer not only for lower-division coaches, but even active Group of 5 coordinators.

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Really, that’s the difference with the AAF and USFL. The USFL tried to be a “big league” competitor to the NFL, which worked... for about a year. The AAF knows they’re a minor league, and instead of trying to compete with the NFL (which would be a death sentence) they’re doing all they can to work with it. This could end as the AAF becoming the “D-League” of the NFL, which I think everyone would be ok with.

Hopefully this is what makes the AAF last, especially since the XFL seems to be doing the opposite....again.

No rights fee now confirmed.

Ebersol on Week 1

The league is not receiving rights fees from networks. Ebersol described the league’s relationships not as time-buys, but as “partnerships that extend beyond just broadcasts.”

While not earning TV revenue and to save face, he also added:

“What we are looking to do is create a structure that is equitable for the network,” Ebersol said. “People paying for media rights are losing money. In the modern tech world, you want to get people engaged in the product and there is an enterprise value. CBS has been buying into technology companies and Turner bought Bleacher Report a couple years ago.”

3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Its definitely a regional thing.  My family in Michigan outside of Detroit the districts are much more localized, with a few high schools (sometimes just one) branching out to the feeder middle and elementary schools.

5 hours ago, mkg74 said:

For now, a minor league. 

For now, and for a long time in the future.

They have a lot of work to do, maybe even decades’ worth, before they can even think about taking on the NFL.   Better learn to crawl before you can mountain-climb. 

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

For now, and for a long time in the future.

They have a lot of work to do, maybe even decades’ worth, before they can even think about taking on the NFL.   Better learn to crawl before you can mountain-climb. 

I don't think the intention of the AAF was to ever compete against the NFL.  Quite the opposite in fact as the likely long term goal of the AAF is to be the NFL's D-League. 

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I don't think the intention of the AAF was to ever compete against the NFL.  Quite the opposite in fact as the likely long term goal of the AAF is to be the NFL's D-League. 

I agree.  And that's a sensible goal.  They're obviously comfortable with being a minor league, even if some of their fans aren't.

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I agree.  And that's a sensible goal.  They're obviously comfortable with being a minor league, even if some of their fans aren't.

Yep.  The signs are there, and Bill Polian even said as much on the pre-show last weekend when asked about the league's goals in 5 years, which is to have the NFL say to the AAF "can you train these players, coaches and referees?"

4 hours ago, raysox said:

"Steve Spurrier says Tim Tebow is focused on MLB career despite offer to play in AAF"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/steve-spurrier-says-tim-tebow-is-focused-on-mlb-career-despite-offer-to-play-in-aaf/

Why are people so enthralled with this guy? His last NFL down was 7-8 years ago? the championship game vs Pats in 2012..right? 

Out of the 3 prima donnas(Kaperrnick,Tebow and Manziel) maybe the AAF should push for Manziel since he's the only playng any actual football SMFH!

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

At the very worst this league could be viewed as WLAF pt 2..Not a bad thing in my mind. I actually rate WLAF 2nd only behind the USFL in alternative leagues giving the public something close to presentable on the field. 

My alternative league ratings (FATC)] (original AFL does not count due to merger)

USFL

WLAF

CFL-USA

WFL(ok before my time and knowledge is limited to You/Tube footage)

UFL

AAF (by seasons end,this league will better than the xfl)

XFL

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

19 hours ago, DG_Now said:

We're eventually working toward an XFL/AAF merger, aren't we?

There will be no merger. My assumption is that McMahon would not be part of something that he is not unilaterally in charge of.  The experience with the first version of the league, when NBC pulled out after a season, would only harden his position of not relying on partners for anything.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived