Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

At the very worst this league could be viewed as WLAF pt 2..Not a bad thing in my mind. I actually rate WLAF 2nd only behind the USFL in alternative leagues giving the public something close to presentable on the field. 

My alternative league ratings (FATC)] (original AFL does not count due to merger)

USFL

WLAF

UFL

WFL(ok before my time and knowledge is limited to You/Tube footage)

CFL-USA

AAF (by seasons end,this league will better than the xfl)

XFL

I'd put the CFL's US expansion much higher-maybe above the UFL.  (Baltimore's performance should be seen as a boost here.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

We desperately need a downvote button. 

Am I the first person on earth to call those 3 prima donnas?  Please dude. But it makes you feel better to do so then go ahead. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Since there are no rights fees, I found this from AdAge earlier in the week.  It seems to give us more into the rates charged and potential revenues split with the networks.

Excerpts:

By AdAge's count, only 14 national ads aired during Saturday night's broadcast—by way of contrast, the average NFL game carries a paid spot load of approximately 85 units—and nearly all of those commercials were featured in split-screen executions. That is, rather than cutting away from the action, CBS kept a camera trained on the field while the paid spot ran in the adjacent box. After 30 seconds elapsed, full-screen game coverage resumed.

Buyers estimate that each 30-second unit in the CBS broadcast fetched around $75,000. The standalone spots were reinforced by call-outs from the broadcast booth and on-screen bugs.

Discounting local breaks and in-house promotions for CBS and the AAF's gaming app, full-screen paid ads appeared in only one pod. Shortly after the halftime show began, CBS cut to a 60-second break featuring a standard MGM Resorts spot, followed by an Air National Guard ad. An investor in and exclusive in-game gambling sponsor of the AAF, MGM Resorts aired three spots in Saturday's game. The other advertisers were the Navy Federal Credit Union, Buffalo Wild Wings and the private aviation service Wheels Up, which thrice aired an ad starring NFL heavyweights Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and J.J. Watt. Wheels Up is also the sponsor of the AAF's Skycam coverage.

With an estimated subscriber count of 67.4 million households, NFL Network reaches just 56 percent of all U.S. TV homes. As such, the AAF's future deliveries won't come anywhere near the league's opening numbers. In-game ad inventory is priced accordingly. (Case in point: Sunday night's Arizona-Salt Lake game, which aired on NFL Network opposite CBS's presentation of the Grammy Awards, eked out a 0.4 overnight rating.)

14 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Since there are no rights fees, I found this from AdAge earlier in the week.  It seems to give us more into the rates charged and potential revenues split with the networks.

Fascinating, thanks!

I really wouldn’t be concerned about terrible ratings opposite an event like the Grammys.  But it’s worth pointing out again that even at its best the NFL Network is a niche channel with limited reach. It may bestow some prestige in that it allows the AAF to positon itself as the NFL’s official minor league, but I’m not sure it’ll ever deliver them a significant number of eyeballs.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Fascinating, thanks!

I really wouldn’t be concerned about terrible ratings opposite an event like the Grammys.  But it’s worth pointing out again that even at its best the NFL Network is a niche channel with limited reach. It may bestow some prestige in that it allows the AAF to positon itself as the NFL’s official minor league, but I’m not sure it’ll ever deliver them a significant number of eyeballs.

I get the AdAge morning email, but the AAF wasn't mentioned in the main headline on Tuesday or Wednesday, so I didn't bother opening it.  I happened to search, "AAF sponsor + Navy Federal" to get that link available.

I also took a look at the AAF home page tonight and there aren't any advertisers/sponsors there either.  No banner ads, nor a list of official sponsors, not even MGM International.

Well i could call those 3 guys much worse to be honest, honestly can we put Kaepernick and Tebow to rest. They both sucked and were overrated. On the other hand Manziel is making a go of it but he's been no great shakes in the weak ass CFL to date...He'll just be another Hackenberg in the AAF if he were to go there but I don’t think he’ll play for that kind of money and uh he’ll actually get hit there. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

So that bum who played collegiately at Nevada-Reno apparently wanted $20 miilion to play in the AAF. Did this guy like roll out of bed yesterday after being under a rock for 4 or 5 years still thinking the USFL was around?? SMDH

Well the end result of their little meeting had an obvious outcome. 

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

If the AAF only wants to be the NFL's pet, I wonder how San Diego fans feel about supporting it.

San Diegans will have to chime in on this one, but the ones I know are more anti-Spanos than they are anti-NFL.  They hated him before the move, and I think would be glad to have a team back in town (so long as he wasn’t associated with it).

Same with St. Louis, which is looking more and more like an unhinged ex, lashing out for attention and something, anything, that would get them back together with the NFL. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

If the AAF only wants to be the NFL's pet, I wonder how San Diego fans feel about supporting it. 

I think they'd view the NFL like Crew fans view MLS. Not the dance partner you want but everyone else's card is full and you still want to salsa.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

So that bum who played collegiately at Nevada-Reno apparently wanted $20 miilion to play in the AAF. Did this guy like roll out of bed yesterday after being under a rock for 4 or 5 years still thinking the USFL was around?? SMDH

Well the end result of their little meeting had an obvious outcome. 

What is the endgame of talking publicly about a meeting from last summer?  He may not have sold $2M more in tickets per week, but he would have sold tickets.

I think the AAF is trying to create some more publicity for themselves as tomorrow is the last game they'll have on major cable (TNT) for two months and to keep eyes away from the other news about the league which came out on Wednesday in which they admitted they're not getting any TV rights fees.

More from Polian via The Athletic's Lindsay Jones:

6 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

What is the endgame of talking publicly about a meeting from last summer?

I think the AAF is trying to create some more publicity for themselves as tomorrow is the last game they'll have on major cable (TNT) for two months and to keep eyes away from the other news about the league which came out on Wednesday in which they admitted they're not getting any TV rights fees.

I heard this story on sports radio this morning! ESPN wrote up an article on this only a fw hours ago.

If this isnt fresh off the press news then my bad

Anyways, this league cant afford him needs to stick to their Dixon plan

6 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

I heard this story on sports radio this morning! ESPN wrote up an article on this only a fw hours ago.

If this isnt fresh off the press news then my bad

Anyways, this league cant afford him needs to stick to their Dixon plan

OK, you did. So ESPN just reported on this because Polian talked to Lindsay Jones.

Regardless of the timing of your knowledge, I'll repeat, what is their endgame in putting this public half a year after the original conversation?

Again, I think they need the media exposure first and foremost, because Kaepernick and Nike reach agreement in September, so that would likely be AFTER his agent approached Ebersol.  AAF looks worse and worse every day this week.

Archived