Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Oh, we still are very skeptical of this league. Along with those four you mentioned, we also had the Tuskers of the UFL for a year. Most people don't think it'll be around in two years, just from previous experience. If it becomes evident that the AAF is here to stay, attendance will go up.

Also, playing at UCF isn't helping matters. While it's nice for me, because I live 10-15 minutes away, the university is 30 minutes out of town without traffic. With rush hour traffic, it's around an hour out. Some people won't be willing to go because of that, especially if they're on the west side of the city.

I followed the UFL. The Tuskers existed for 2 seasons before relocating and becoming the Virginia Destroyers. From what I remember the Tuskers' attendance numbers were at the bottom of the UFL. Believe only the Vegas team had worse attendance.

It's probably cheaper to rent UCF's stadium than the Citrus Bowl (or whatever it's called now). No way in hell Orlando City SC allows football to be played in their stadium through April. Outside of those 3 venues I don't know of anywhere in Orlando that could possibly host pro football.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am cautiously optimistic about the AAF.  I think the AAF can truly benefit from being a D-League to the NFL in many ways.....and a domestic one at that.  The deal with the NFL Network does help.  The games from week one have been fun to watch, although sloppy at times but that is expected from a new league.  It should be better as the season goes on.  Them wanting to work with the NFL and not against it is a good thing.  I like the new rules the AAF has, and it's still football to the core.  The games are faster with no TV timeouts and I like that. 

On the other hand, the AAF went into Orlando, Memphis, Birmingham and San Antonio, four cities known for being in failed football leagues (along with Sacramento, who is not in the league and Las Vegas, who will be getting a very bad football team to call their own very soon, but they are in the NFL now, so that honeymoon period may last a while).  

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I am cautiously optimistic about the AAF.  I think the AAF can truly benefit from being a D-League to the NFL in many ways.....and a domestic one at that.  The deal with the NFL Network does help.  The games from week one have been fun to watch, although sloppy at times but that is expected from a new league.  It should be better as the season goes on.  Them wanting to work with the NFL and not against it is a good thing.  I like the new rules the AAF has, and it's still football to the core.  The games are faster with no TV timeouts and I like that. 

On the other hand, the AAF went into Orlando, Memphis, Birmingham and San Antonio, four cities known for being in failed football leagues (along with Sacramento, who is not in the league and Las Vegas, who will be getting a very bad football team to call their own very soon, but they are in the NFL now, so that honeymoon period may last a while).  

I think if they want to be the NFL's farm system they will have to slide the start back to late March to early April to take on players on active rosters or practice squads. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Another packed house at Legion Field!

Good God that's awful.

It looks like a scrimmage on TV.

Why does Birmingham keep on getting minor league pro football franchises?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Is it the same attendance for Birmingham as last week?

The non-TV side doesn't look bad, but it is worse than last week.  Not much, though.  But then, who wants to kill a Sunday watching two football teams punt it to eachother?

It's not surprising the defense has been better than the offense so far given the preparation time teams had, but the league really should have figured out a way to make this league more offense-centric because watching second-rate players play to a 9-0 halftime score isn't going to make people want to watch.

IUe6Hvh.png

9 minutes ago, See Red said:

The non-TV side doesn't look bad, but it is worse than last week.  Not much, though.  But then, who wants to kill a Sunday watching two football teams punt it to eachother?

It's not surprising the defense has been better than the offense so far given the preparation time teams had, but the league really should have figured out a way to make this league more offense-centric because watching second-rate players play to a 9-0 halftime score isn't going to make people want to watch.

The stadium's just huge for the size of crowds AAF is expecting.

They'll never have 40k+ crowds. Playing in a 70k+ stadium is going to look ridiculous. And their pricing structure spreads people out all over. And the bulk of the fans are on the side the cameras generally aren't going to show. Which makes it look even worse.

Was playing the app game in the first half. Basically you pick run or pass, then direction, then if it goes for a touchdown or first down. Each has points associated with what percentage of people pick the options you're going for. Really cool to see play out if you wanted to get t he app and try it out.

30 minutes ago, See Red said:

Polian asked the teams not to blitz. He wasn't happy with all the "Illegal Defense" penalties from Week 1. 

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I really hope you’re kidding.

If the central office is dictating the types of plays run, this league is a bigger joke than I could have imagined.  That’s XFL-level nonsense. 

He said it to Lindsay Jones of The Athletic when also discussing Kaepernick on Thursday.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I really hope you’re kidding.

If the central office is dictating the types of plays run, this league is a bigger joke than I could have imagined.  That’s XFL-level nonsense. 

The league telling teams to play within the rules doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.  The rules dictate the types of plays run, the central office is telling teams to figure it out because the resulting penalties make the game less watchable.

I'm sure you're looking for an excuse to trash the league but this doesn't seem like it.

IUe6Hvh.png

6 minutes ago, See Red said:

The league telling teams to play within the rules doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.  The rules dictate the types of plays run, the central office is telling teams to figure it out because the resulting penalties make the game less watchable.

I'm sure you're looking for an excuse to trash the league but this doesn't seem like it.

That’s all they’re here for. To put down this league. I haven’t seen one positive post from either guy to date. It’s kinda like if they don’t like it. Why are they here ? But they keep on poking and poking.  I’m ignoring them from here on out. It’s not worth getting pissed about it anymore. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

1 minute ago, mkg74 said:

That’s all they’re here for. To put down this league. I haven’t seen one positive post from either guy to date. It’s kinda like if they don’t like it. Why are they here ? But they keep on poking and poking.  I’m ignoring them from here on out. It’s not worth getting pissed about it anymore. 

Ignoring is what the people of Birmingham are doing in terms of attendance.

Just now, dfwabel said:

Ignoring is what the people of Birmingham are doing in terms of attendance.

Was there ever any indication that AAF was trying to sell out the stadium?

I just don't get this "Oh MY GOD, There's empty seats. They're horrible" and yet I can show you photos from NFL games that would make you cringe. Yet somehow that's overlooked.

4 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Was there ever any indication that AAF was trying to sell out the stadium?

I just don't get this "Oh MY GOD, There's empty seats. They're horrible" and yet I can show you photos from NFL games that would make you cringe. Yet somehow that's overlooked.

They cannot survive with these gates. 

Don't worry, this is trash football too. If they really wanted better quality, the training camp should have been longer than four weeks.  If they learned from the XFL1.0 is that four weeks is not long enough.  Might help too if you announce all teams at once and give each city same amount of time to sell f#cking tickets, then actually have staff in the area to sell to folks.

Archived