Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

18 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

The CFL will always be weak ass. Put that league down here in the states it would’ve folded long ago. 

lololololol the CFL has been around in some form since the 1930s. There are multiple CFL teams older than the oldest NFL team and unlike the AAF? People in locales with CFL teams seem to care. Also the Grey Cup does monster ratings so you know. It’s actually in a very stable position. 

And the thing is I don’t even dislike the AAF, nor do I want it to fail. From what I’ve seen? It seems fine and if the play can be tightened up? I dare say it’s serviceable for what it aspires to be.

You know what though? All of my positive thoughts about the AAF won’t put butts in seats.

If the AAF is going to remain financially viable long enough to carve out a niche and convince skeptics to support them (ala burnt football fans in Orlando)? They need to sell tickets. Which they are struggling to do.

Meanwhile the CFL’s still alive and kickin’ just fine. 

Go Ti-Cats. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

And yet millions of people watch and attend college and high school football. Interesting. I guess 'trash football' has a market.

The difference between being a local institution and being a live advertisement for a web app.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

26 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They will win via "Alternative Football Leagues" Death Match Battle Royal as a surprise entrant.

“BAH GAWD KING THAT’S JASON THE ARGONAUT BEATIN’ THE AAF WITH A HOCKEY STICK LIKE A GOVERNMENT MULE! STONE COLD STONE COLD!”

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

lololololol the CFL has been around in some form since the 1930s. There are multiple CFL teams older than the oldest NFL team and unlike the AAF? People in locales with CFL teams seem to care. Also the Grey Cup does monster ratings so you know. It’s actually in a very stable position. 

And the thing is I don’t even dislike the AAF, nor do I want it to fail. From what I’ve seen? It seems fine and if the play can be tightened up? I dare say it’s serviceable for what it aspires to be.

You know what though? All of my positive thoughts about the AAF won’t put butts in seats.

If the AAF is going to remain financially viable long enough to carve out a niche and convince skeptics to support them (ala burnt football fans in Orlando)? They need to sell tickets. Which they are struggling to do.

Meanwhile the CFL’s still alive and kickin’ just fine. 

Go Ti-Cats. 

Also, according to Wikipedia, some of the teams are older than the oldest NFL Team, the Arizona Cardinals. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

“BAH GAWD KING THAT’S JASON THE ARGONAUT BEATIN’ THE AAF WITH A HOCKEY STICK LIKE A GOVERNMENT MULE! STONE COLD STONE COLD!”

the CFL is like that monster in those battle royals everyone tries to gang up with in order to eliminate them but are unsuccessful in doing so. 

27 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

The CFL will always be weak ass. Put that league down here in the states it would’ve folded long ago. 

Better to be founded in 1958, considered "weak ass" and still in business than to be founded in 2018 and fail to sell tickets, possess an app which was to air every game (before a Tweet claiming CBSSN contracts prohibits it), and say you're a tech company first. 

Good luck surviving 10% as long as a "weak ass" business. 

11 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Whoever represents the CFL in that Battle Royal will be determined by another Battle Royal, this one a standard over-the-top-rope battle royal. 

Today's crowd has to be viewed as a positive, considering temperatures hovered around 50 degrees under cloudy skies.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/02/how-many-fans-showed-up-for-birmingham-irons-2nd-game.html

EDIT: So what they announce is the PAID attendance and in week 1 Birmingham had 25K, according to their GM.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/birmingham-iron-gm-says-were-compatible-with-the-nfl/26296226

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

Well, the real truth of the matter shown by history is that any pro football league in the United States that is not the NFL appears to be weak ass and die.  I hope for the best for the AAF as I want to see a U.S. pro football league prove history wrong this time and make it.  It is not easy starting as a new league in the U.S. and I still would not bet money on the league having a long run.

The CFL is a different matter altogether and is far from weak ass.  If one is aware of the colourful history of the business of pro football in Canada, the CFL is actually the exact opposite of weak ass considering the creative scratching and clawing basically each team has needed to do to survive at times.  It is greatly strong based on its survival instincts.

The CFL is apart from those other leagues and it is really tough to compare it apples to apples.  It is Canadian football with significant nuances to the game compared to American football.  The result is many U.S football fans have trouble accepting the differences compared to their own football.  It is financially doing fine, a quality professional league and has significant attention where it matters for the league - in Canada.

3 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Well, the real truth of the matter shown by history is that any pro football league in the United States that is not the NFL appears to be weak ass and die.  I hope for the best for the AAF as I want to see a U.S. pro football league prove history wrong this time and make it.  It is not easy starting as a new league in the U.S. and I still would not bet money on the league having a long run.

The CFL is a different matter altogether and is far from weak ass.  If one is aware of the colourful history of the business of pro football in Canada, the CFL is actually the exact opposite of weak ass considering the creative scratching and clawing basically each team has needed to do to survive at times.  It is greatly strong based on its survival instincts.

The CFL is apart from those other leagues and it is really tough to compare it apples to apples.  It is Canadian football with significant nuances to the game compared to American football.  The result is many U.S football fans have trouble accepting the differences compared to their own football.  It is financially doing fine, a quality professional league and has significant attention where it matters for the league - in Canada.

Hell Canadian football as a sport, is actually far from weak ass. It's a more interesting form of football. And one that's got a very interesting history of being independently developed from the same root sport and ended up in a similar, but quite different if you look beyond the surface, sport. And unlike other non-NFL leagues, the CFL will always endure because it's uniquely Canadian and appeals to many north of the border the way the NFL does to its fans south of the border. It's not a supplemental league or an NFL competing league. It's it's own thing, and always has been. 

7 minutes ago, Wings said:

Aaah. Reminds me of those heady days of the Chicago Enforcers. Oh the memories. 

Game time temperature is 39 degrees. They'll use that as an excuse.

I kinda feel sorry for Dan Hellie.  Not only does he have to work this game, but he's also got to work with the very talkative Brian Billick and Mike Smith, who seems to be in Witness Protection with that beard.

Archived