MiLB’s “Copa de la Diversión” 2018 identities revealed

Gothamite

35 minutes ago, kroywen said:

MiLB wants to move away from using the parent organization's name as minor league team names, so for teams still carrying a parent's name (like the OKC Dodgers), I would guess they're considering rebranding.

Do you have a source for that first statement?  Because the one example you give happens to be a minor league club that just two years ago adopted the parent club’s name and uniform after a half-century of a unique identity. 

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

I would not be surprised if a few of these get translated into English and become permanent identities. MiLB wants to move away from using the parent organization's name as minor league team names, so for teams still carrying a parent's name (like the OKC Dodgers), I would guess they're considering rebranding. I don't think you'd see the Oklahoma City Cielo Azul as a full-time name, but the Oklahoma City Blue Sky? That's possible. Same goes for the Pawtucket Polar Bears (even if Rhode Island is thousands of miles from actual polar bears).

What's funny is the OKC Dodgers identity is only about two years old, and for most of it's existence the franchise was known as the Redhawks. I seem to recall there was a lot of head scratching when the team announced the change, as the execution was pretty lackluster and there is no historical tie between the two organizations or markets. I can only speak for myself, but I hope that branding one-offs like the Cielo Azul will help the organization to see that the OKC Dodgers rebrand was a mistake...and I think they could do much worse than the OKC Blue Skies. 

As for Pawtucket...the team has a lot of history as the Paw Sox, and the Red Sox affiliation is something that carries an immense amount of weight in the market. While I personally prefer having farm teams with unique names, I completely understand why the organization has been the Pawtucket Red Sox since day one, and likely will continue to be so until the team inevitably relocates to a municipality that's willing to shell out $$$ for a new stadium. 

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Do you have a source for that first statement?  Because the one example you give happens to be a minor league club that just two years ago adopted the parent club’s name and uniform after a half-century of a unique identity. 

It's been a source of discussion among the Yankees fanbase for the past few years (see this post from the most prominent Yankees blog as an example). The Yankees definitely want their affiliates to drop the "Yankees" name - hence the rebrands for SWB and Tampa, and perpetually delayed rebrand for Staten Island - but there's been a good amount of talk that the Commissioner's Office is in agreement with the Yankees' position. 

Honestly, I was surprised that the OKC Redhawks rebranded to the Dodgers. Seemed to go in the opposite direction of most MiL clubs these days, and it threw away a recognizable and well-liked identity for the identity of a team thousands of miles away. Maybe the LA Dodgers were trying to gain a foothold in MLB-less OKC, but it was a puzzling branding decision,

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Or it could help pull in people who show up for the Flying Chanclas, see entertaining games and come back to see the Missions. 

yeah i don't think these teams are gonna sell out the rest of their games, but if they can get a few regular customers and lock in a few more season ticket holders then i think this could be considered a success. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived