This Is The Alliance Of American Football

M4One

Another new football league, called the Alliance Of American Football,  being created to compete with the XFL.  Supposedly will start in Feb 2019.  Has some big names behind it like Charlie Ebersol, Bill Polian, and  Troy Polamalu, and unlike the XFL, already has a TV deal with CBS to show the games on CBS Sports Network.  Eight teams will be announced in the next 3 months.  

I know that its hard to come up with an original name for the league since there's been a couple failed leagues, but Alliance of American Football is a terrible name.  Logo is not bad.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, M4One said:

Another new football league, called the Alliance Of American Football,  being created to compete with the XFL.  Supposedly will start in Feb 2019.  Has some big names behind it like Charlie Ebersol, Bill Polian, and  Troy Polamalu, and unlike the XFL, already has a TV deal with CBS to show the games on CBS Sports Network.  Eight teams will be announced in the next 3 months.  

I know that its hard to come up with an original name for the league since there's been a couple failed leagues, but Alliance of American Football is a terrible name.  Logo is not bad.

American Football Alliance would have been a better name.  AoAF is almost as awkward as the WLoAF was.

For the logo - the football is part is not iconic enough to stand on its own - especially since the league has absolutely no recognition.  Even the NFL's stand-alone logo has its letters in it.  

It's also a poor logo because the outer part doesn't match the curves of the football - it's more diamond like.

As I'm typing this, I just noticed the A in the logo.  I guess that's clever, except that it implies that the bottom part is a letter too, which it's obviously not.  Not a fan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like that they're sort of trying to break the tired three-letter acronym moniker pattern, but what a clumsy, try-hard way to do it... besides, the name will just boil down to "AAF."

I wish one of these startups would shift the paradigm and embrace their small-fry status with some kitsch, localized, minor-league baseball-style branding... or even some weird, modern nonsense like "HIKE United"... anything different! 3-to-1 odds some old, oil-fracking millionaire coot founds another "Renegades."

18 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Or, God help us, "Outlaws."

I'd love to see something different, like Wildcatters. Imagine the old Chicago Bruisers logo but an oilworker instead of a bulldog.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd love to see something different ...

But no singulars or weird hybrids or bad spelling, and nothing using Zs for plurals. 

No "Attack," "RiverHawks," "Dawgs" or "Bomberz," in other words.

6 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

But no singulars or weird hybrids or bad spelling, and nothing using Zs for plurals. 

No "Attack," "RiverHawks," "Dawgs" or "Bomberz," in other words.

I second that emotion.   If this league's first game is the Denver MountainSharkz  against the Strong Island Xtreme Krunk it will be cancelled before halftime. 

So, a uniform question for those of us already trying to imagine the AAF uniform options. 

Can a league with only 8 teams do away with having 2 different uniforms and play with color v. color?   Sure.

Team 1:  Burgundy helmet, Burgundy jersey, white pants

Team 2: Navy helmet, navy jersey, silver pants

Team 3: Gold helmet, greenjersey, gold pants

Team 4: black helmet, white jersey, black pants

Team 5: Silver helmet, purple jersey, silver pants

Team 6: Yellow helmet, royal jersey, yellow pants

Team 7: Copper helmet, Red jersey, copper pants

Team 8: White helmet, light blue jersey, white pants

No need for 2 uniforms when a single-entity league creates all the identities for the teams. 

22 minutes ago, WideRight said:

So, a uniform question for those of us already trying to imagine the AAF uniform options. 

Can a league with only 8 teams do away with having 2 different uniforms and play with color v. color?   Sure.

Team 1:  Burgundy helmet, Burgundy jersey, white pants

Team 2: Navy helmet, navy jersey, silver pants

Team 3: Gold helmet, greenjersey, gold pants

Team 4: black helmet, white jersey, black pants

Team 5: Silver helmet, purple jersey, silver pants

Team 6: Yellow helmet, royal jersey, yellow pants

Team 7: Copper helmet, Red jersey, copper pants

Team 8: White helmet, light blue jersey, white pants

No need for 2 uniforms when a single-entity league creates all the identities for the teams. 

You'll still need to account for color blindness and the ability of coaches to distinguish between teams during film study. While that wouldn't occur with most combos it should still be considered. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

American Football Alliance would have been a better name.  AoAF is almost as awkward as the WLoAF was.

For the logo - the football is part is not iconic enough to stand on its own - especially since the league has absolutely no recognition.  Even the NFL's stand-alone logo has its letters in it.  

It's also a poor logo because the outer part doesn't match the curves of the football - it's more diamond like.

As I'm typing this, I just noticed the A in the logo.  I guess that's clever, except that it implies that the bottom part is a letter too, which it's obviously not.  Not a fan.

Joe Bosack did at least the typeset, if not also the logo, per his Twitter.

I shocked that Ebersol et al. did this - would love to know if this was the original plan for the XFL until he split off from McMahon.

I’m just curious about brand partners - will UA jump at this, or the XFL?  What about Riddell, Schutt, Xenith or Vicis?  Have to think these companies and leagues are looking for exclusive partners for branding purposes.  Adidas partnered with the league popping up in California so it seems they’d be out.

Yeah. Every time I see the logo with the "A" at the top, I see the V at the bottom. It doesn't work. It's a horrible logo. Also, a very poor name.  Unfortunately, in the US, we have two or three basic naming conventions for leagues. And this isn't one of them. <something> <sport> League, <something> <sport> Association, Major League <sport>.... this is even worse than things like the PGA or ATP. It just feels so incomplete. Like they were trying to beat McMahon to the field they had to throw the first three words together they could.

It also sounds like there's other 'football' out there. This would be a fine name for a league in England. But, not in the U.S. We know it's American Football. And it's an association OF American Football.... what? Teams? Clubs? Leagues? Players?

12 hours ago, Volt said:

Joe Bosack did at least the typeset, if not also the logo, per his Twitter.

I shocked that Ebersol et al. did this - would love to know if this was the original plan for the XFL until he split off from McMahon.

I’m just curious about brand partners - will UA jump at this, or the XFL?  What about Riddell, Schutt, Xenith or Vicis?  Have to think these companies and leagues are looking for exclusive partners for branding purposes.  Adidas partnered with the league popping up in California so it seems they’d be out.

My gut says these leagues will merge before playing a down. It wouldn't shock me to find they purposely played divide and conquer with shells of separate leagues with the purpose of merging in the first place.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

My gut says these leagues will merge before playing a down. It wouldn't shock me to find they purposely played divide and conquer with shells of separate leagues with the purpose of merging in the first place.

So AAF pulls a "we'll wait a year" then turns into XFL2.0? Sounds possible. Aren't both leagues planning 8 teams?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

I feel as if these logo's won't be memorable what so ever

Jo Bosack did the league logo, I believe. If he somehow worked it into his deal that he gets to do the inaugural team logos too...then I respectfully disagree with you.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

Jo Bosack did the league logo, I believe. If he somehow worked it into his deal that he gets to do the inaugural team logos too...then I respectfully disagree with you.

He obviously has a great portfolio (I am literally wearing a t-shirt with one of his designs as I type this), but I have downgraded my expectations to cautious optimism after seeing the league logo.

35 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

He obviously has a great portfolio (I am literally wearing a t-shirt with one of his designs as I type this), but I have downgraded my expectations to cautious optimism after seeing the league logo.

To be fair, he most likely gave them multiple options and that was what they picked. Hopefully they are more open with team logo options than they were with the league logo. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived