Baseball Hall of Fame Retires Chief Wahoo From Plaques

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Wade Boggs requested a Devil Rays hat and they didn’t honor that.

Because it was public knowledge that the Devil Rays were going to pay Boggs if he chose a Devil Rays hat.

Furthermore, this situation is different, as the block C hat is still an Indians hat.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

Because it was public knowledge that the Devil Rays were going to pay Boggs if he chose a Devil Rays hat.

Furthermore, this situation is different, as the block C hat is still an Indians hat.

Indeed - that caused the Hall of Fame to take the choice away from the players, when Boggs sold his to the Devil Rays.  Was really bad form.  

Why does he need a hat at all? Is there a rule about the design of the plaque?  I get that baseball players are usually more recognizeable with their caps on, but in this era of players - even HOF-caliber ones - playing for 9 or 10 teams, it’s too tough to put a label on a guy, and some neutral option should exist. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Why does he need a hat at all? Is there a rule about the design of the plaque?  I get that baseball players are usually more recognizeable with their caps on, but in this era of players - even HOF-caliber ones - playing for 9 or 10 teams, it’s too tough to put a label on a guy, and some neutral option should exist. 

Its not at all unprecedented for a player to go in without a cap. George Sisler’s plaque is cap-less:

George_Sisler-Hall-of-Fame-Plaque.png

It seems like there’s another one without a cap, but I can’t remember whom. Anyways, it’s certainly doable.

EDIT: Just remembered the other one. It’s Mel Ott.

Mel_Ott-Hall-of-Fame-Plaque.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

George_Sisler-Hall-of-Fame-Plaque.png

George Sisler's plaque captures a look of displeasure. Maybe he's predicting how people will constantly forget him when describing the best first basemen to play to the game (he's 21st on baseball-references JAWS scale for first basemen). 

Well then problem solved - this was much ado about nothing.

Jim+Thome+San+Diego+Padres+v+Los+Angeles

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived