MLB Launches Hashtag Emojis for All 30 Teams

5 hours ago, kroywen said:

It would be a hell of a lot easier and more straightfoward just to use each team's name. For instance, I often use the #Yankees hashtag when tweeting about the Yankees; I never have (and never would) use #PinstripePride. I can guarantee you that the #Yankees hashtag gets a hell of a lot more usage.

For the Cardinals, Rangers, and Giants, since they have team names used in other leagues as well, just make it #STLCardinals, #SFGiants (already done, in fact), and I don't know... the #TexasTexas? Whatever those fanbases have naturally adopted as their chosen hashtags already.

The Cardinals and their fans on Twitter adopted #stlcards years ago. Twitter's character limit had a lot to do with that. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Is that any dumber, though?

Just longer we have to put up with the silly nonsense.. The official stuff handed down by the league should be top notch professional.. The fun, quirky stuff should be intimately handed out by each club to its fans, if at all

9 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Just longer we have to put up with the silly nonsense.. The official stuff handed down by the league should be top notch professional.. The fun, quirky stuff should be intimately handed out by each club to its fans, if at all

How would it be any different, though, if each club did this as opposed to a league-wide effort?

And do you feel the same about the NFL, who also engages in the same promotional campaign with Twitter?

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How would it be any different, though, if each club did this as opposed to a league-wide effort?

And do you feel the same about the NFL, who also engages in the same promotional campaign with Twitter?

It would be different because it would be a more intimate relationship between the club and its fanbase, and also result in a more standard/professional set of hashtags from the league for normal use..

For example, I'm an Orioles fan.. If I were to tweet at a game, it should look something like this:

"Excited to be in #Birdland watching my #Orioles take on the #RedSox !!!"

Instead of:

"Excited to watch #Birdland take on #DirtyWater !!!"

The second one there looks really silly and if I had not seen the complete list, I'd have no idea how to hashtag the Red Sox.. That's something only Red Sox fans should know and use.. 

14 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It would be different because it would be a more intimate relationship between the club and its fanbase, and also result in a more standard/professional set of hashtags from the league for normal use..

For example, I'm an Orioles fan.. If I were to tweet at a game, it should look something like this:

"Excited to be in #Birdland watching my #Orioles take on the #RedSox !!!"

Instead of:

"Excited to watch #Birdland take on #DirtyWater !!!"

The second one there looks really silly and if I had not seen the complete list, I'd have no idea how to hashtag the Red Sox.. That's something only Red Sox fans should know and use.. 

How would that be any different in practice?  The clubs choose their own hashtags now, and Boston chose #DirtyWater.  You're hardly forced to use it; they haven't outlawed #RedSox yet.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

How would that be any different in practice?  The clubs choose their own hashtags now, and Boston chose #DirtyWater.  You're hardly forced to use it; they haven't outlawed #RedSox yet.

I just don't like that it's put out by the league in a manner that makes it look like it's the league's doing.. The end result is the same, but the method of getting there is not my preferred one.. That's all

44 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I just don't like that it's put out by the league in a manner that makes it look like it's the league's doing.. The end result is the same, but the method of getting there is not my preferred one.. That's all

Okay, I guess.  But that seems a little odd, considering we're talking about emojis approved by corporate behemoth Twitter for exclusive use on its platform.

Archived