MLB Players' Weekend Uniform Tweaks (UPDATE: Players' Weekend 2018 Tweaks)

coco1997

On 4/14/2018 at 12:35 PM, Victormrey said:

Once again, great work! Phillies are my fav so far, they have a lovely retro vibe.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support!

Next up we have the San Diego Padres!

Padres_Players_Weekend_2_0.png

The Padres are probably the most radically changed of any team in the series. I decided to go all-in on their early '80s color scheme with brown replacing navy and orange used as an accent color. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for helping reproduce the cap logo. Speaking of which, any Padres fans know the significance of the three stripes on either side of the SD?

C&C appreciated, and the Giants are up next!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The Cardinals look great in baby blue!

You never think about that color as a viable alternate jersey for them (except as a full throwback) but this is a great look.

I confess I have no clue what the Padres lines mean but rendered in brown and orange it looks really nice!

Thanks! Is it possible the three lines have some sort of Naval connection?

Today's team is the San Francisco Giants!

Giants_Players_Weekend.png

Like the Orioles, I decided to make the base of the Giants' jersey black instead of gray. Cream replaces white and I removed the wordmark drop shadows. C&C appreciated!

Only five teams left. The Mariners will be up tomorrow! 

21 hours ago, Victormrey said:

The Giants look great! Much better than their actual grey and orange jersey.

Thanks!

We're down to the final five teams. Let's start today with the Mariners!

Mariners_Players_Weekend.png

The M's had, in my opinion, one of the worst Players' Weekend designs in the league. Like the Astros, they paired one of their actual colors (teal) with a bright shade of blue they've never used before. I considered using teal with a silver cap and sleeves, but in the end I decided to go with their throwback colors of royal blue and yellow. I also used a yellow version of their arched wordmark. C&C appreciated!

The Rays will be up tomorrow!

23 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Love that M's design.

Thanks!

Continuing the series today with the Tampa Bay Rays!

Rays_Weekend_Template.png

I really liked how the Rays' Players Weekend design resembled their '70s fauxbacks. However, I felt the navy wordmark was out of place, so I made it yellow and kept navy as a drop shadow color. Everything else stays the same. C&C appreciated!

Texas is up next! 

Thanks, guys!

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I like the Rays, but I fee the contrast between that blue and yellow isnt enough and that it would just look washed out.

I see your point. What if tried green and powder blue instead?

Next up we have another team in powder blue, the Texas Rangers!

Rangers.png

The Rangers stay the same except that I changed the jersey wordmark from TEXAS to RANGERS.

The Blue Jays are up next!

Up next are the Toronto Blue Jays!

Blue_Jays.png

I changed a few things with Toronto. First, I decided to use their late '90s blue for the sleeves, cap and numbers so they wouldn't look a Cubs/Royals/Dodgers clone. Next, I thought this would be a golden opportunity to resurrect their original-late '80s pullover design with the bird logo on the chest. I also gave them a contrasting cap bill. 

Only one team left. The Nationals will be up tomorrow!

P.S. I've also gone back and fixed the Cubs collar striping, per @Carolingian Steamroller's suggestion. 

The Marlins look good but the teal and orange was never a combo together so they just say "copy of the Dolphins" to me. Is it possible to try them either A) with the classic teal and black Florida Marlins colors or B, keep the color scheme to the Miami rebrand colors and do black with orange or maybe orange with the current light blue as the sleeves?

22 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Cubs update looks great! 

Centering the Blue Jay logo is perfect!

Thanks!

22 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Marlins look good but the teal and orange was never a combo together so they just say "copy of the Dolphins" to me. Is it possible to try them either A) with the classic teal and black Florida Marlins colors or B, keep the color scheme to the Miami rebrand colors and do black with orange or maybe orange with the current light blue as the sleeves?

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't really concerned about using color combos teams haven't actually used, considering the Astros used orange and light blue, for example. However, I'll take your suggestion of trying some different schemes for the Marlins. I think black with teal sleeves/cap would look sharp. 

On to the final team in the series, the Nationals!

Nationals_Players_Weekend.png

Not much was changed with the Nats, except that I dropped the "W" logo on the front of the jersey which looked oddly out of place. I also color corrected the cap logo and used the Expos' shade of red. C&C appreciated!

Thanks to everyone who followed this series! I'll have a few bonus designs on the way, including some tweaks of the Rays and Marlins. 

Thanks, guys!

The first bonus design is the Expos:

Expos_Players_Weekend.png

I figured this is how the Expos would look if they had gotten the Players Weekend treatment. Similar design to the Nationals, except that I used light blue as an accent color. C&C appreciated!

Archived