Chicago Sun-Times gets new look

CS85

The S-T I remember from my childhood (well, from newsstands; we were a Tribune family) used Franklin Gothic as I think they're doing here, but not in all caps, and in blue instead of black. So close! I think there are still some honor boxes with that design.

2 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Nice improvement - makes it more unique to Chicago.

But certainly not in it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I used to intern for the Sun-Times back in my college days--to say they have an identity crisis is putting it mildly.

When I worked there (less than a decade ago), they had this logo:

440px-Chicago_Sun-Times_(2007-08-08).svg

...then some new owners came in, fired all the photographers, and switched to this:

chicago-sun-times.png

...now the owners who fired the photogs are gone, they moved their headquarters for the 3rd time in 20 years, and I suppose this new logo represents a new era.

Honestly, I like it...although it takes away the punchline I had about the Sun-Times being literal yellow journalism.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

what's the difference between the new stacked version and the old?  Look exactly the same to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gotcha.  That one looks more like an alt-weekly or daily free paper.  

I love the new one, but need to see it on a paper.  I associate sans-serif "designed" marks like that with tabloid-style newspapers, vs the old-English or serif fonts you see on a lot of the older and/or prestigious papers.

This one would probably look really good on the web tho.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gotcha.  That one looks more like an alt-weekly or daily free paper.

Definitely. Very close to their sister publication, the Reader, Chicago's leading source for longform investigative journalism and gay phone sex ads.

chicago-reader-old-logo.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived