Buccaneers Concept Revision (Cannon Ball Set Update 5/12/18)

BucsBoy02

Alright here is a small update to the previous set I posted. I'm going to be referring to this concept as the cannon ball set (I know pretty original huh :D). As for the changed I've made to start I recolored the smoke and motion lines on the secondary logo. I felt that the silver colors I had used looked to light and drew your attention away from the skull, swords and football which IMO should be the focal point. With that in mind I dropped the cream color in favor of white as to make the skull, swords and football pop better on the dark background. As for the primary logo, looking at the previous version it kind of bugs me that it looks like the flag is floating behind the sword (But IMO it could be just fine as is). So I had the idea to "shackle" the flag to the sword. I feel it doesn't add to much but I may be bordering on to much detail. Also it looks like I'm using a huge amount of colors but IMO I see it as 3 primary colors, white, and 2 secondary colors but of varying shades. So far this has turned into my absolute favorite concept that I've come up with to date. But anyways here is version 2 of the cannon ball set. 

Buccaneers%20CB%20Logos%20Revision%202_z

Here are a few of the color options for the "Shackles". I chose to go with silver, but I really like the subdued look of the pewter. 

Shackle%20color%20options_zpslk8z9hwa.pn

• BucsBoy02 changed the title to Buccaneers Concept Revision (Cannon Ball Set Update 5/10/18)
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to ask this: How would the font look without the "awkward looking curves"? I get what you were going for, but I feel the if a font is going to sharp angles in it, all the lines should be straight.... having some be straight and other be curved makes it look off to me. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Guest darkpiranha

The shading on the cannonball makes it look too much like a hockey puck at this point.  

On 5/11/2018 at 8:04 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

Have to ask this: How would the font look without the "awkward looking curves"? I get what you were going for, but I feel the if a font is going to sharp angles in it, all the lines should be straight.... having some be straight and other be curved makes it look off to me. 

Good question, when I first started working on this concept I had started tinkering with using all angles but couldn't get it to look right. Well I went back and worked on it some more and finished it and here it is. I still prefer the original version though, IMO it has a lot in common with the logos, sweeping curves and sharp points.

Replaced all the curves with angles.

Numbers%20angled_zpsytpnxub6.png

Here is the Home uniform with the angled numbers and updated cannonball logo. 

Jersey%20Angle%20Numbers_zpsf7uvrg2w.png

On 5/11/2018 at 10:51 AM, darkpiranha said:

The shading on the cannonball makes it look too much like a hockey puck at this point.  

Right on, I don't see it but hey I can't stop myself from tweaking things. lol I added some lighter shading toward the top right to try to make it look more rounded and ball shaped. Also while I was at it added an outline to the tail of the logo. 

Cannon%20Ball%20V3_zpspl0hk6ru.png 

• BucsBoy02 changed the title to Buccaneers Concept Revision (Cannon Ball Set Update 5/12/18)
On 5/12/2018 at 11:18 PM, BucsBoy02 said:

Good question, when I first started working on this concept I had started tinkering with using all angles but couldn't get it to look right. Well I went back and worked on it some more and finished it and here it is. I still prefer the original version though, IMO it has a lot in common with the logos, sweeping curves and sharp points.

Replaced all the curves with angles.

Numbers%20angled_zpsytpnxub6.png

Here is the Home uniform with the angled numbers and updated cannonball logo. 

Jersey%20Angle%20Numbers_zpsf7uvrg2w.png

Right on, I don't see it but hey I can't stop myself from tweaking things. lol I added some lighter shading toward the top right to try to make it look more rounded and ball shaped. Also while I was at it added an outline to the tail of the logo. 

That's definitely the number font they should be using (maybe with one or two minor tweaks). I really like it.

I'd say maybe just have one outline on the numbers (I say orange outlines), The double outline kind of weakens the whole look. And the pirate ship logo is too good not to put on the sleeves...I like the cannonball idea, but the ship is better, IMO.

And I've always like pewter helmets, so anything other than pewter helmets seems like a miss to me. I do like the updated old logo with the more weathered flag and a better since of gusting winds...looks great.

The orange and red wordmark without the drop-shadow is excellent as well.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived