Bruins

Biggest Downgrades in History

Recently mildly triggered by the Lincoln Saltdogs headscratcher of a logo change, whose spiffy new dog enjoys maniacally staring into my soul, I got to wondering what some of the worst brand changes ever have been. And watching the Sox play the lowly Marlins I was reminded of this now infamous downgrade:

IoObB3D.gif

What are some of your (least) favorites?

168672560-phoenix-suns-v-golden-state-wa

84140179-phoenix-suns-v-oklahoma-city-th

Never understood why they decided to add so much grey to their identity. 

Brenden_Morrow_Dallas_Stars.jpgbrenden+morrow.jpg

The downgrade that defines the phenomenon:

97-47382Fr.jpg  8570-4Fr.jpg

A crisp and brilliant look full of character was traded for an awkward and unsightly mess. Nothing was left undamaged, as the colours, the wordmark, the numbers, and the cap logo all got significantly worse. 

The tragic part is that this happened right after the team's high point, its first appearance on the national stage, an achievement which should have cemented the basic elements of the team's identity for all time. Their look has never recovered.

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The downgrade that defines the phenomenon:

97-47382Fr.jpg  8570-4Fr.jpg

A crisp and brilliant look full of character was traded for an awkward and unsightly mess. Nothing was left undamaged, as the colours, the wordmark, the numbers, and the cap logo all got significantly worse. 

The tragic part is that this happened right after the team's high point, its first appearance on the national stage, an achievement which should have cemented the basic elements of the team's identity for all time. Their look has never recovered.

Yep, it was all downhill from there with each subsequent look being more bland than the previous. 

i actually really like the brown and orange padres (love the hat and the wordmark)... someone point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

I am preparing for some heat, but first thing that comes to mind:

goaltender-mike-smith-of-the-tampa-bay-l

To:

AR-151219787.jpg

Take a 90's team with a unique identity and strip it of everything unique and attempt to create an ugly marriage of Leafs and Red Wings.

24082621284_aeb791cda6_o.jpg22153217601_3898057509_o.jpg

1953-54, when the Athletics just... gave up their traditional design in favor of a script that had no ties to their "classic" identity. At least the 1955-present scripts have used an Old English "A" as the capital letter. Fitting for a team that got screwed over by Connie Mack's senility and family squabbles, as well as a bunch of AL dickery. Here's an article explaining how it went down.

steve-christie-autographed-8x10-photo-bu

drew-bledsoe.jpg

5462_los_angeles_clippers-primary-2016.p

From this...

1200px-Toronto_Old_Logo.jpg

To this...

2005.jpg