Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

sabby_piscitelli_2010_01_03.jpg

64a93d9fda409444a0e6ec647630a22e.jpg?148

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the name of the thread.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

The blue and gold was actually pretty good, not gonna lie. I mean it was unnecessary, sure, but it was still a decent look with plenty of appeal. But Jesus Christ the railroad look makes me want to die.

I agree on the late ninety's set. By itself its a good look. But in the lineage of the Astros, its out of place. When Drayton McLane bought the team he took their identity and threw it in the trash. Then he set the trash on fire when he wanted them to look like the G-D-yankees. I'll take the old navy/orange/rainbow looks over all else any day of the week.

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Unique doesn’t necessarily equal good. The Lightning came out of that redesign with better, more versatile marks and a stronger overall brand based on how they’ve built around it. They’re two or three minor changes/additions from excellence, which wasn’t always true of their previous looks.

The brand though is bland and boring. The logo looks like clip art and the uniforms are uninspired, unless being inspired by the Maple Leafs was the goal.

As someone else stated the numbers on the front of the EDGE jerseys weren't great, but the logo had depth, the uniforms kept the "victory stripes" Phil Esposito created, and they got rid of all of that. Then they placated the upset fans with minor additions of black and the Lightning bolts on the pants.

The jerseys need black and/or silver and that will be fine. Blue should not be the main color. The logo needs to be trashed and they need something new unless they want to add some colors to create depth on the current one.

6 minutes ago, bigtex said:

I agree on the late ninety's set. By itself its a good look. But in the lineage of the Astros, its out of place. When Drayton McLane bought the team he took their identity and threw it in the trash. Then he set the trash on fire when he wanted them to look like the G-D-yankees. I'll take the old navy/orange/rainbow looks over all else any day of the week.

Fair.

also,

Eagles_Randall_Cunningham_-_AANW215_500x

to

donovan-mcnabb-332825a44e7204f8.jpg

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The Lightning came out of that redesign with better, more versatile marks and a stronger overall brand based on how they’ve built around it. They’re two or three minor changes/additions from excellence, which wasn’t always true of their previous looks.

4 hours ago, tigers said:

I'd say that Lightning was an upgrade.

Right, the Lightning's change was definitely an upgrade.  The idea that a non-original-six team should not have a dignified uniform is a little perverse.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right, the Lightning's change was definitely an upgrade.  The idea that a non-original-six team should not have a dignified uniform is a little perverse.

I don’t mind it if the Lightning want to have a dignified look. 

I would just rather they not have my team’s dignified look :P 

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the name of the thread.

Me too...I believe the Buccaneers had the best look in the NFL and then went to the worst look with the change. 

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Connie Mack with a few of his shrewd advisors.

connie-mack-stooges-082616.JPG

You’re being too kind to the Mack/Shibe families. They were the Spanoses of the 1940s-‘50s, albeit placing the growing senility of their patriarch at the forefront rather than hiding him away.

As for baseball-related downgrades:

1969SDP_SDP_NL_W.gif

nl_1972_sandiego.gif

The first step in a long line of terrible decisions.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, ColeJ said:

i actually really like the brown and orange padres (love the hat and the wordmark)... someone point me in the direction of the unpopular opinion thread?

I'm with you on that.  I think it was an upgrade.  Brown/Orange/Yellow was a bit too much.  Brown/orange nailed it.  That was my favorite look they've ever had.

Off the top of my head, by sport:

• NHL: The Oilers original "Reebok Edge" look.  I actually liked their 1990s look.  This kept the color scheme and made a formerly really sharp jersey set look like ratty old practice jerseys.  There were several downgrades that year, but I could understand how someone may like most of them (like the Islanders).  I just can't believe anyone could have thought that the Oilers were an upgrade.  Others include the Sabres to black and red, the flames adding black, the Whalers move, the last two years of the North Stars, and of course the Devils departure from green.
  • NBA: Rockets championship uniforms of the mid-1990s to the cartoon angry rocket.  Others include the Cavs most recent change (because those primaries were just so nice and clean), Sonics to Thunder, Timberwolves inagural to KG era, Bucks losing the Irish rainbow, Pistons to the teal, Clippers to Cliparts, Mavs to their current soul-less look, hawks to blue and red.
  • MLB: Angels going to periwinkle.  Others: Blue Jays going to black (after another downgrade from original look), Mets/Royals adding black, Phillies to current look, Brewers to current look, Orioles going back to Happy Bird, Twins to current look, Rangers to current look, Everything the Padres have done since dropping brown, Astros going to blue/gold (such a blah look; I actually prefer the earth-tone look)
  • NFL: The Bucs to their current look.  Almost like the Oilers in terms of "how could anyone not think this is garbage?"  Others: Eagles darker green, Vikings dumping the 1990s, Seahawks to current look, Lions adding black, Jets dumping black, Rams being the interim Rams, Bills goofy look after dumping the Super Bowl era unis, Jags to current look, Bengals ruining themselves below the neck.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, nuordr said:

From this: 

2682853.jpg running-back-jamel-white-of-the-clevelan

To the dreaded gray facemask and the removal of the orange pants: 

n4fHOp.jpg

and then the addition of the ugly brown pants: 

Cleveland+Browns+v+Green+Bay+Packers+q9M

It's interesting that you don't include the more obvious downgrade of their current look.

The plain brown pants were bad, but I think they look better with white pants easily. Especially with the shiny pants, gross. But the look can work (especially with the white jersey) and is preferable to the current duds.

Archived