Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

It's funny. I have mixed feelings about the evolution of the (North) Stars uniforms. I love the original green and gold but I also like when black was added in. The black primaries were the weakest but I felt it worked once they moved to Dallas. It gave the Dallas Stars their own look, even if the franchise wore them in Minnesota. 

The North Stars green and gold set was the best they ever had. I do like the white jersey with black in it, but not more than the only green and gold. The green jersey with black was just awful. And then they got worse, and then finally the team skipped town... 

I don't understand how people can love the North Stars with black, and yet hate the Flames with black. (Ironically, I think that the opposite is true... The black on the N-Stars clutters their already busy look, while at least the second set of the Flames in black, makes the other colors really pop. The yellow no longer gets lost in the white, and the designs were fairly clean and had good balance)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is a fun thread to look through. 

I think by page 12 we'll have covered every jersey change in the last 50 years.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

NBA: The Cavaliers going to the swoosh-sword-cut-thing on the bottom of the jersey and shorts during the late 90s comes to mind.  Conversely, can we give an award in reverse for getting rid of orange and grey Bobcats for the classic Hornets in Charlotte?

NHL: The Ducks for sure.

MLB: The Blue Jays, definitely... also if you ask me, the Rays going to the blue-and-yellow thing is a downgrade.

NFL: The new Bucs uniforms, the new Dolphins logo (don't mind the actual uniforms so much), and the Jaguars weird-stripe era (before the current set).

24 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

The North Stars green and gold set was the best they ever had. I do like the white jersey with black in it, but not more than the only green and gold. The green jersey with black was just awful. And then they got worse, and then finally the team skipped town... 

I don't understand how people can love the North Stars with black, and yet hate the Flames with black. (Ironically, I think that the opposite is true... The black on the N-Stars clutters their already busy look, while at least the second set of the Flames in black, makes the other colors really pop. The yellow no longer gets lost in the white, and the designs were fairly clean and had good balance)

While I prefer the North Stars without black, I thought the black detracted from the Flames look MUCH more than the North Stars look.  I agree that the black clutters the look on the North Stars just a bit.  But I will say that the change in the road (i.e., green) to including black changed the stripe pattern.  I do not love those two thicker stripes on the earlier jersey and I think the thinner stripes was an upgrade (on the other hand I love, love, love the pre-black North Stars white jersey, which is just before my time.  I think the green and yellow looked perfect on that and black sort of muddied it, which is what I think happened to the Flames).  

The Flames, on the other hand, had terrific stripe patterns in the 1980s.  And the black took that away.  And I think it took the "pop" away as well.  If the North Stars were still around in their latest "N-Star" uniform and I could pick either the Flames or the North Stars (my team) to dump black, I'd pick the huge improvement for the Flames over the minor improvement for the North Stars.  But this is just all my personal taste, anyway...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

28 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Mighty Ducks to Ducks was devastating.  The Ducks now are tolerable, but that original set was the pits

On the uniforms, OK (though I never liked the eggplants anyway).

But "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" to "Anaheim Ducks" is the greatest team name UPGRADE ever.  (With the possible exception of the crosstown Angels dropping the "of Anaheim" crap).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

27 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think by page 12 we'll have covered every jersey change in the last 50 years.

Worst change: Yankees traditional uniforms to Little League weekend uniforms.

Best change: Yankees Little League weekend uniforms to traditional uniforms

POTD (Shared)

37 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I actually like both sets with black. The green, black and gold North Stars jersey is one of my all time favourites.

Weirdly with the Flames, I love the red, black and gold scheme on the dark jersey, and yet I don't like it so much on the white uniform. I don't know why, but something about it always seemed off and I can't quite put my finger on it.

34 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Mighty Ducks to Ducks was devastating.  The Ducks now are tolerable, but that original set was the pits

Nothing says "Brian Burke is embarassed about our past" like going to an extremely minimalist black and white look and having almost no visual connection to the thing they share their name with. Their branding at the time consisted entirely of wordmarks. They've gotten better since introducing actual logos into the identity, and while the uniforms are certainly more colourful than what came before, they're still not particularly good.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

40 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

On the uniforms, OK (though I never liked the eggplants anyway).

But "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" to "Anaheim Ducks" is the greatest team name UPGRADE ever.  (With the possible exception of the crosstown Angels dropping the "of Anaheim" crap).

True, but I'll be honest I never called them that.  Until you just reminded me, I thought they were the Anaheim Mighty Ducks

90758391980.gif

12 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

True, but I'll be honest I never called them that.  Until you just reminded me, I thought they were the Anaheim Mighty Ducks

That's what everyone else called them too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

kevin-quakenbush-of-the-san-diego-padrestyson-ross-of-the-san-diego-padres-poses

For the one year the Padres went with Yellow in their scheme (ASG) was honestly the best they've looked in my eyes. Why they didn't keep it was beyond me. 

Archived