Biggest Downgrades in History

Bruins

One of the first Edge unveilings and an early example of a previously competent uniform getting completely butchered by a horrible template.  The whites in particular looked terrible in action thanks to navy being reduced to razor-thin piping that provided no contrast.

42GlDY1.jpg

IcL1e9S.jpg

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, Lee Noire said:

I get the Titans new look isn’t popular, but that’s far from the worse downgrade EVER.

Maybe you don't know where you are - it's the Chris Creamer Sports Logos Hyperbole Community.  

I think it's a downgrade, but you're right - not even close to qualifying for a "biggest in history" list.  Same with whoever posted about the Steelers.  It's subjective whether you consider that a downgrade (I do not), but it's laughable to consider it one of the "biggest ever".

As with all threads (not complaining, just pointing out) after the initial few posts, it just devolves into "post things".  For example "Legends in the Wrong Uniform" devolved quickly into "post pictures of hockey players without names".  That's just how it works.

IMO, the Bucs are a perfect example of what qualifies here.  I honestly cannot think of a single post on this board that considered it either an upgrade, lateral, or slight downgrade.  There's others too, but that's the archetype.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Morgo said:

The red trim looked classy and attractive when it was used sparingly.  Not so much when it completely over-saturated the jersey.  One of the worst downgrades of the 90's without question.

Rh3clKz.jpg

zGhgCFh.jpg

Yeah that's a popular opinion.  One I don't share, mostly because my roomate had one of these and I loved it, especially the numbering.  One of the few jerseys like this that I really liked.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The black jerseys weren't a downgrade in and of themselves, but making them the primary was definitely a downgrade.  I was big into hockey back then, and hated watching games during the black Lindros era and the early Edge era because it was black and white vs white.  They could have gone with black sleeves like their old Alumni team jerseys.

The other thing about those Flyers photos is that I can't tell if the move to that template pre-black is part of the downgrade or not.  

I think that template was fantastic and I wish the Flyers had kept it.  Those 1970s photos look, well 1970s.  I'm not fond of the current 1970s-inspired look.

In any case, yes, black as a primary was a mistake.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, brycew8 said:

389a71796cf173bd4d9d0e7f51cfda72.jpg AP9410090196.jpg

denver-broncos-defense.jpg nfl_a_broncosts_576.jpg

This one gets a double credit as one of the worst downgrades.  Not only was it bad in its own right, but it started a trend of terrible design, one whose ill effects are still very much with us.  So this is a uniform disaster of historic magnitude.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This one gets a double credit as one of the worst downgrades.  Not only was it bad in its own right, but it started a trend of terrible design, one whose ill effects are still very much with us.  So this is a uniform disaster of historic magnitude.

Well said. And the logo sucks too! Should be a section for logo downgrades.

Archived