Ranking the NFL/Nike Uniform changes

With the Titans releasing their new uniforms tonight, where do you all on the board rank the Nike/NFL uniform changes? Personally I think the Vikings have the best one out of the handful of teams, and goes as follows:

1. Vikings

2. Seahawks

3. Lions

4. Dolphins (First Change)

5. Tennessee (Based off the leaks)

6. Jaguars (First Change)

7. Browns

8. Tampa Bay

Sorry if this post already exists somewhere or has already been done!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im going to go off of my own grading scale here

A-  Vikings

B-  Lions

D  Dolphins

D  Seahawks

D- Jaguars

F  Browns

F  Buccs

I basically agree with all these, except Jags is also an F for me. Maaaaybe I'd be generous enough to give the Dolphins a C.

Nike and the NFL has been almost a complete disaster in terms of aesthetics. Don't even get me started on Color Rush.

1. Lions

2. Seahawks

3. Vikings (could be higher if the purples matched)

4. Jags (to me the only thing really wrong with it is that awful helmet)

5. Browns (a couple tweaks and it would be good, it's an ok balance of retro and modern)

6. Dolphins (just meh...the old uniform/colors were much better)

7. Bucs (so much really wrong with these uniforms...those alarm clock numbers are the biggest problem)

51 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im going to go off of my own grading scale here

A-  Vikings

B-  Lions

D  Dolphins

D  Seahawks

D- Jaguars

F  Browns

F  Buccs

I just read your scale.  Your ranking of the Packers and Giants as "B" doesn't go with the description of the categories.  By your description, the Packers should be A, and the Giants C.

Employing your scale, here's my rankings of these sets:

A- Seahawks

B+ Vikings

B- Lions

C Dolphins

D--- Jags

F Browns

F Bucs

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Will edit this once we get the Titans and Jags V2.

Vikings (A-)

Lions (B)

Dolphins (C+)

Titans (C)

Seahawks (D+)

Browns (D)

Jaguars 1.0 (D) (would be higher with a normal helmet)

Bucs (F)

if the Titans leaks and Jags mock-up turn out to be true they’ll probably be in that middle tier with Miami.

The annoying thing about almost all of these changes is that they are either one step over, or one step under being really good.

- The Seahawks would look amazing if they used the grey pants with the white/blue jerseys, and not monochrome everything.

- The Browns would look pretty darn good if the contrasting stitching was gone, and they had a pants stripe.

- The Dolphins really just need more orange and it’s a home run.

- The Lions are pretty good as is, but to nitpick, having different logos on each sleeve is silly.

- Even the Jags could’ve been serviceable had the helmet been solid black from day one.

Nike does these things to make each team stand out (and highlight Nike made it) which is fine, but they can’t just leave it at that one thing. They always find a way to tip toe over that line. It’s kinda frustrating especially with the teams above. Vikings nailed it, and there’s no saving the Bucs, 

Looking at these eight teams, the overall bar is quite low.  That fact that I can't even consider putting the Browns last...

• A-  Lions.  I would like a bit more white and not having the letters on the sleeves (different ones on each; even worse).  But going back to a great color scheme and hitting most marks...good stuff.  The only one of these I am 100% certain is an upgrade.
  • C+ Titans (Grading what I know; the helmet or pants could swing it).  I kinda like the "sword yoke."  Number font is tolerable; light blue underarm is stupid.  So far, these are serviceable.
  • C Vikings.  Good look at first glance; like the matte helmet.  The number font tries too hard and it needs a bit more yellow (i.e., outlined numbers). First Vikings uniform where I've prefered the purple jersey to the white, thanks in part to the nearly invisible yellow stripe on the white jersey.
  • C- Dolphins. I'm one of the few people that prefers the new logo.  In fact, I love it.  The sun is better and the campy feel is gone.  But the uniforms are in most other ways a downgrade (at least from Marino era)
  • D+ Seahawks.  I've gotten a bit used to them, but they don't hold an candle to anything else the Seahawks have worn.
  • D Browns.  The pants word mark is terrible.  The dropshadows are terrible.  But unlike the two below teams, they didn't screw up the helmet.  In fact, they improved it with that awesome brown mask.
  • F Jags.  I think we all agree on the helmet.  But I also hold the unpopular opinion that they are terrible below the neck, as well. 
  • F Bucs.  There is no conceivable way that anyone could think this was an upgrade, right?  The oversized helmet logo is undignified and should be used on a college alternate helmet.  The number font is ridiculous.  The two different sleeve patches both stink and that they don't match is even worse.  And what's going on with the shoulders is just blech...they made the worst change and they flat out did not need to change.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I just read your scale.  Your ranking of the Packers and Giants as "B" doesn't go with the description of the categories.  By your description, the Packers should be A, and the Giants C.

Employing your scale, here's my rankings of these sets:

A- Seahawks

B+ Vikings

B- Lions

C Dolphins

D--- Jags

F Browns

F Bucs

I rank thePackers a B because the sleeve stripes are butchered on modern sleeves and they can vary from from cut to cut. That’s a craftsmanship flaw in the design. Similarly, there is variation in the Lions elements of stripes and logos where they don’t match and looks like an oversight in detail. Not sure what I missed on NYG but I made that before their intro of white pants which might drop them

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

A- Vikings: needs white socks with purple pants.

A Lions: The sleeve words could have been done better and silver socks are needed but overall a good update.

B- Seahawks: The other combos make this uniform.

C+ Dolphins: Color change the biggest minus.

C- Browns: Stitching, pants stripes and the numbers on the brown jersey are what brought this down.

D Jags: *insert helmet rant*, the sleeves on the color jerseys and numbers on the teal jerseys what I would change.

D Titans: Some bias towards my team's archrival moving closer to our look, but yeah, downgrade with the slash strips, sword yokes, numbers and dark numbers on the columbia jersey.

F Bucs: Took a BA look that saw a Lombardi win (especially with white pants), turned it into trash and wasted a good logo update in the process.

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Looking at these eight teams, the overall bar is quite low.  That fact that I can't even consider putting the Browns last...

• A-  Lions.  I would like a bit more white and not having the letters on the sleeves (different ones on each; even worse).  But going back to a great color scheme and hitting most marks...good stuff.  The only one of these I am 100% certain is an upgrade.
  • C+ Titans (Grading what I know; the helmet or pants could swing it).  I kinda like the "sword yoke."  Number font is tolerable; light blue underarm is stupid.  So far, these are serviceable.
  • C Vikings.  Good look at first glance; like the matte helmet.  The number font tries too hard and it needs a bit more yellow (i.e., outlined numbers). First Vikings uniform where I've prefered the purple jersey to the white, thanks in part to the nearly invisible yellow stripe on the white jersey.
  • C- Dolphins. I'm one of the few people that prefers the new logo.  In fact, I love it.  The sun is better and the campy feel is gone.  But the uniforms are in most other ways a downgrade (at least from Marino era)
  • D+ Seahawks.  I've gotten a bit used to them, but they don't hold an candle to anything else the Seahawks have worn.
  • D Browns.  The pants word mark is terrible.  The dropshadows are terrible.  But unlike the two below teams, they didn't screw up the helmet.  In fact, they improved it with that awesome brown mask.
  • F Jags.  I think we all agree on the helmet.  But I also hold the unpopular opinion that they are terrible below the neck, as well. 
  • F Bucs.  There is no conceivable way that anyone could think this was an upgrade, right?  The oversized helmet logo is undignified and should be used on a college alternate helmet.  The number font is ridiculous.  The two different sleeve patches both stink and that they don't match is even worse.  And what's going on with the shoulders is just blech...they made the worst change and they flat out did not need to change.

The Vikings look best when yellow is used in small amounts. They have tried yellow outlines in the past and it has never worked. The yellow bleeds into the white, which is the issue you pointed out on the away sleeves. I think the current uniform is the best they have looked. I hope these uniforms are here to stay, and they don’t decide to “update” them in the future. 

A - Vikings: Very, very good. The only thing holding it back is the number font, which should have the serif on both numbers.

A - Lions: Once again, a great effort for a NFC North team. The lack of white isn’t the greatest, as is the blue pants (never was a fan of them)

C - Seahawks: They have some great elements, and I’m one of the few people who doesn’t mind mono-navy, but Nike just tried a little too hard here.

C - Dolphins: I’m one of the people who love the new logo and color scheme, but the uniforms are just too bland.

C - Jaguars (2013): From the neck down, I think they are the best the team ever looked. However, the helmet knocks them down two grades because it is that bad.

- Buccaneers: The helmet is good, but the jersey isn’t. However, they no longer have the worst number font in the league, so I guess that’s something...

D - Jaguars (2018): Big upgrade in the helmet, terrible downgrade everywhere else. Lack of gold is horrifying.

F - Titans: Horrible. Side panels are questionable, number font is the new worst in the league, helmet stripe is bad (although I like the move to navy helmets), and the pant stripe is atrocious.

- Browns: Words cannot describe how terrible these are.

ExJworW.png

17 hours ago, WBeltz said:

With the Titans releasing their new uniforms tonight, where do you all on the board rank the Nike/NFL uniform changes? Personally I think the Vikings have the best one out of the handful of teams, and goes as follows:

1. Vikings

2. Seahawks

3. Lions

4. Dolphins (First Change)

5. Tennessee (Based off the leaks)

6. Jaguars (First Change)

7. Browns

8. Tampa Bay

Sorry if this post already exists somewhere or has already been done!

Vikings: A. Nearly perfect. I always liked the LSU stripes on the road unis but I can see how they wanted to be consistent. Matte helmet was a great choice.

Seahawks: B. The road blue-white-blue combo is incredible. But I still hate monochrome blue at home and I hate the gray numbers on the blue jerseys. The helmet striping is unnecessary.

Lions: B. Not really necessary or an improvement. Actually I lean on it being a slight downgrade.

Dolphins: B-. I like the uniform set ok... but I still hate the removal of the helmet-wearing dolphin. That is more the team’s fault than Nike but it still drives me insane.

Jaguars: C+. Would be in the B range without the idiotic two-toned helmet.

Browns: C-. A middle school student could have come up with this design. Stop putting team names on pants.

Titans: D+. The number font is pure, unadulterated garbage. Especially after the decent 20th anniversary font they developed. Everything else is a gimmick or not all that necessary. Blue helmets are ok, the only thing I like is the sword-like helmet stripe.

Bucs: F. Awful. I’m not going to waste any time breaking it down.

Nike overall: D. Unis are loaded with stupid gimmicks and no real meaningful innovation in design. Most are worse than the previous versions. I was happy when they took over from Reebok, now I’m just disappointed. They appear to overthink EVERYTHING.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I'll just list what I hate for each.

1. Vikings - black facemask, lack of white socks for purple pants. 

2. Seahawks - wolf gray is dumb, monochrome, big shiny sticker applied to a satin finish helmet, a bit overdesigned.

3. Lions - face mask should be blue, numbers could be more legible, maybe more white needed

4. Dolphins (First Change) - too bland, not enough orange

5. Tennessee (Based off the leaks) - too many colors, too much navy, dumb pants stripe(patch), another monochrome navy team

6. Jaguars (First Change) - helmet is garbage, monochrome, dumb pants stripe(patch), teal should be primary 

7. Browns - all of it

8. Tampa Bay - all of it

1) Minnesota (Grade A) 

This was a solid upgrade for the Vikings. I really like everything for the most part. The only changes I would make would be to make the facemask purple and to add stripes to the socks. 

2) Miami (Grade B) 

I do not like the logo! The rest of the uniform looks good. The only changes I would make would be to go back to the previous logo, change the facemask to aqua and to add more orange throughout the uniform.

3) Seattle (Grade B-) 

Overall this was a nice update for the Seahawks. The only changes I would make would be to change the stripe on the pants. 

4) Detroit (Grade C+)

This was another nice update from the previous set. The only changes I would make would be to remove the LIONS script on the shoulders and burn the gray alternate uniform. 

5) Jacksonville (Grade D) 

From the neck down this was a decent modern uniform. The only changes I would make would be to change the color of the helmet to black, make teal the primary jersey, and change the stripes on the pants. 

6) Cleveland (Grade F) 

The only two things I liked were the brown facemask and the addition of orange pants. The changes I would make are: 

• Remove CLEVELAND from the front of the jersey
  • Remove BROWNS on the pants
  • Take the stripe on the pants all the way down to the bottom
  • Add stripes to the socks
  • Remove the colored stitches 
  • Remove the backdrop color on all the jerseys
  • Make brown jersey numbers white
  • Make white jersey numbers brown 
  • The stripes on the jerseys need to be on the shoulders only, they do not need to wrap around the front and back

7) Tennessee (Grade F) 

Navy helmet is okay. The changes I would make are:  

• Add silver pants to the set
  • Change the helmet color to silver
  • Change facemask from silver to navy 
  • Use the 20th Anniversary font instead of the current font
  • Change the stripes on the pants to the previous set stripes (This one alone destroys the overall design for me) 
  • Add a red jersey or color rush uniform to the set
  • Remove the stripe on the helmet

8) Tampa Bay (Grade F) 

There is not one thing I like about this uniform, the changes I would make would be simple.

• Revert back to the previous set 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

After seeing the entire look...

D+. The number font ended up much worse than I thought it would be based on the 8.  The sword yoke loses some appeal when they put the sword on the helmet...it becomes overdone.  I actually think the blue helmet looks sharp (though light blue would have been great).  Not surprised they kept it for the helmet, but I still think the flaming thumb tack is one of the worst helmet logos ever.  Definitely a downgrade.  There were things I did not like about the last set, but given some of the silliness that both Reebok and Nike put out, they aged fairly well and had much better color balance than the new ones.  I still don't think it's Bucs/Jags bad...but it's getting into Browns territory.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived