Ranking the NFL/Nike Uniform changes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to create my own grading scale, so I am just going to evaluate Nike's designs on one point: are they better or worse than the uniform they replaced.

Better: Lions, Vikings, Dolphins.

Worse: Titans, Seahawks, Browns, Jaguars, Buccaneers

The biggest shame is now I don't want teams to update or change that really should.

Like the Bengals, alot of people agree they should change their uniform,  but not me anymore, especially with nike. Hell even the Eagles I used to want an update too, but not anymore. Nike's approach to uniforms is horrible.

Vikings: A- ; The unnecessary number horns and black mask keep them from being great.

Lions: B+ ; Sleeve logos (mismatching ones at that) are stupid, and the number font could be better. 

Dolphins: C+ ; Overall nonoffensive, except for the tramp stamp, washed out colors, and dumb number font. Pick either rounded or angled corners, not both.

Seahawks: D+ ; I like the colors and pants stripe. Everything else is overdesigned garbage.

Jaguars Ver. 1: D- ; An okay jersey and pants keep them from an F.

Titans: F ; An incohesive mess.

Browns: F ; Do I need to explain? 

Buccaneers: F ; See above.

Jaguars Ver. 2 could range from C to A based on what we've heard and seen.

spacer.png

A Vikings: Pretty much perfect.

B Seahawks: I wish they'd balance all three colors on the pants instead of choosing just two (like the lime green on blue needs silver); otherwise a great modern look that makes monochrome work.

B Dolphins: Little plain with the sleeves, but overall very easy on the eyes.

B- Bucs: The numbers are the only element I have a problem with. It's a distinct and consistent look with upgraded logos (tho we could lose the "Bucs").

B- Lions: I loved their previous look so it took some time for me but it's a nice looking set. Needs some more balance with white IMO, especially on the stripes. Don't like the extra gray shade on the number outline either. And the words on the sleeves got to GO. I put them just under Tampa Bay just to see if someone will swing at me, because overall it's a gorgeous set color-wise but has issues when you look close.

C+ Titans: Stated in the other thread but very lateral at best move that emphasizes the wrong colors. But it doesn't look bad at all, time will tell.

C Jags: Helmet keeps it low, otherwise it's an underrated set IMO. I'd prefer more teal emphasis and less monochrome black, but they look good. 

D Browns: Change was dumb in the first place and every element is a downgrade essentially. Some combos look fine and I actually like the orange jersey though.

As a Browns fan, that's the only re-brand I find egregious. I have way more issues with what Nike has done with the NBA than the NFL, but I can understand the flack for their work in either league.

2 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The biggest shame is now I don't want teams to update or change that really should.

Like the Bengals, alot of people agree they should change their uniform,  but not me anymore, especially with nike. Hell even the Eagles I used to want an update too, but not anymore. Nike's approach to uniforms is horrible.

I somewhat agree. The Bengals just need to lose the side-panel and they're perfect to me though... A rebrand will rarely fix old issues and always needs to be fresh and bold or some corporate :censored: and create new issues.

Vikings: B+  Not the biggest fan of the number font, or the matte helmet, but looks like a football team.  Clear updgrade from before.

Dolphins: C+  I couldn't stand the navy blue in the previous set and the drop shadows on the numbers, but don't like the lack of orange and the lighter aqua.  Navy is still hanging around, logo is a downgrade too, but slightly.  Overall, it is a cleaner set than the previous, but I still don't like it.

Seahawks:   I hate these at first, now, they just make me a bit naseaus.  The pattern on the helmet, the mono grey, the mono navy, the extra stripes.  But somehow better than the previous set (hated the drab grey-blue on dark blue look).

Lions: D   I didn't find black to be an abomination on the previous set, but illegible numbers (dark grey on blue, seriously?) on the home blue make this not an upgrade overall.

Titans: D   The jersey's aren't as bad as they could be, but a downgrade.  Nike continues with illegible number fonts.  The navy helmet, puke.  Silver or white would have worked better with the set.  Like the Seahawks, the logo is almost completely lost on the navy, where it popped before on white.  It doesn't balance the set, actually throws everything off.  The last set was dated, but this is a downgrade.

Jaguars Ver. 1: F   I think the helmet being a mockery of everyone's tastes makes it seem like the rest of the uniform is not that bad.  It is that bad.  The leathery shoulders, the shoulder caps, the black numbers on teal "third" jersey, the extra stripes around the neck, the pants, the color combos...  As bland and bad as the previous set was, this was a clear downgrade into misery.

Browns: F  Yeah, there is no saving this mess.  More illegible numbers (Seriously, the reason that players where numbers is so announcers and fans can identify the players, it's not a fashion accessory), the stitching, the stripes coming across the chest, the drop shadow, the giant name across pants and chest.  A mess.  The last set was great, just needed some stripes on those brown pants, and cycle back in the orange pants.  Downgrade, downgrade, downgrade.

Buccaneers: F  This is a catastrophe.  The previous set was awesome.  Everything is a downgrade.  Oversized logo, ridiculous numbers, giant shoulder yokes, color balance thrown into a blender.  Too much pewter (is it even pewter anymore?).  Couldn't have failed worse.

1. Vikings - B+  They drop from and A for me because of the stupid numbers & the satin helmet that does not match. Everything else is really good!

2. Lions - B  I don't like the extra gray outline & the wordmark in the stripes for no reason but the chrome face mask really drops for me because it is "Lit"!

3. Dolphins - C  No orange that you can really see when playing drops this way down for me & I really do not like the aqua either now. Just an average uniform now.

4. Titans - C  Helmet is good. Jerseys are average. The number font is awful. The pants do not look good.

5. Seattle - C  biggest complaint is the lack of color consistency across all jersey pant combos. Also hate the way the seahawk meets in the back of the helmet and the stupid stripe on it..

6. Tampa Bay - F this is really a tie for the three worst the only reason Tampa is first is because I can tolerate this one more than the other two.

7. Browns - F  the only thing they got right is the helmet which looks good.

8. Jacksonville - F  The uniform is bad but might get through for me but the helmet is like having a "C" going into the final & making a zero on it so there is no chance your gonna pass the class. The helmet is less than a zero on the final really.

Using @BrandMooreArt's scale, here is my list:

Vikings: I fully acknowledge my bias, but Minnesota may have my favorite uniform set in the league. It is such an immense improvement over their previous set. I don't mind the numbers or the black facemask much at all, the only thing I would change would be the stripes on the white pants.

B+ Dolphins: I think the simplicity of this look really adds to the cleanness and sleekness that a Dolphins uniform should be. I personally love the new logo, and the only thing I would change would be to make the outlines thicker and go back to the old orange.

B+ Lions: I love this update, the only thing I would do would be to make the home numbers white, put "LIONS" on both sleeves and change all dark gray to the normal silver.

Seahawks: The new color scheme defines them at this point due to their recent success, and I like the patterns and Pacific Northwestern style used throughout. It's a bit busy, but somehow it works pretty well for me.

Browns: I have to be honest, I don't hate this set as much as most people do... Really I would just take "Browns" off the pants (that really is atrocious) and flip the colors on the home and away numbers. Other than that, I really think everything is an improvement.

D+ Jaguars (2013-2017): The increased use of gold immediately makes this an improvement for me over the prior set, it just brings some warmness and life back into it. The helmet is clearly rediculous, but the rest is not bad and the number font is one of the best Nike's done. If only teal was the primary home option.

D+ Titans: This set doesn't have the one clear design flaw that other Nike uniforms tend to, but I don't know... Overall this set just doesn't work for me right now. A lot of the combos seem that they won't go well together at all. It really does manage to be bland and busy at the same time.

Buccaneers: The only flaw to me is the numbers, but boy is that a big flaw. The alarm clock numbers look like they should be for a robotic, futuristic team, the exact opposite of what a pirate-themed team should use. I would also but the pirate ship on both sleeves. I do really like the helmet though.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:23 PM, OnWis97 said:
  • C Vikings.  Good look at first glance; like the matte helmet.  The number font tries too hard and it needs a bit more yellow (i.e., outlined numbers). First Vikings uniform where I've prefered the purple jersey to the white, thanks in part to the nearly invisible yellow stripe on the white jersey.

I gave the Vikings an A- but I agree with some of your points. I've gotten over the number font for the most part but I still think the "Viking ship" serifs should be on both numbers or neither, not just the first one, and I do think a yellow outline, even if it's thin like the Dolphins, would be a good addition. I also agree with you that this is the first time I preferred the Purple jerseys over the White.

Here's my ranking:

1. Vikings

The numbers are kinda silly, the black facemask doesn't fit and the striping on the white pants doesn't match the white jersey, but this is still a solid update. They look how the Vikings should look.

2. Seahawks

I've always liked these more than most on the boards. A modern, well-done set that matches the team and the city.

3. Lions

So close to being great. Still pretty good for a traditional team trying to update.

4. Dolphins

I like the sleek, minimalist look of the jerseys. A little more orange would help.

5. Titans

Meh. Fine. Need to see them on the field.

6. Buccaneers

I've never understood the total hatred for this set. Is it great? No. Is the number font a joke? Yes. But I like the helmet and chrome mask. That said, if Nike cannot do gloss fabric, then the Bucs should have dropped the pewter pants.

7. Jaguars

I used to like the jersey and pants. Then I watched them during the playoffs. What a mess. The helmet is a sick prank on anybody with eyes. Hopefully the font and updated logo (excluding the JAGS shield) are the only elements that jump to the update.

8. Browns

Just an abomination. No respect and understanding of the team's heritage. Unlike the other poor Nike designs, this isn't just a tweak or two away from being serviceable. The colored stitching is a joke, the BROWNS on the pants is a disaster, and the home and road jerseys have numbers with the wrong colors. Everybody involved in creating this set deserved to be fired. Into the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Dolphins 2.0 (A) (would be an A+ but I still hate the Resort/cruise/toothpaste logo)

Vikings (A-)

Lions (B)

Dolphins 1.0 (C+)

Jaguars 2.0 (C+)

Titans (C)

Seahawks (D+)

Browns (D)

Jaguars 1.0 (D) (would be a C/C+ with a normal helmet)

Bucs (F)

On 4/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, hugevolsfan said:

1. Vikings - B+  They drop from and A for me because of the stupid numbers & the satin helmet that does not match. Everything else is really good!

2. Lions - B  I don't like the extra gray outline & the wordmark in the stripes for no reason but the chrome face mask really drops for me because it is "Lit"!

3. Dolphins - C  No orange that you can really see when playing drops this way down for me & I really do not like the aqua either now. Just an average uniform now.

4. Titans - C  Helmet is good. Jerseys are average. The number font is awful. The pants do not look good.

5. Seattle - C  biggest complaint is the lack of color consistency across all jersey pant combos. Also hate the way the seahawk meets in the back of the helmet and the stupid stripe on it..

6. Tampa Bay - F this is really a tie for the three worst the only reason Tampa is first is because I can tolerate this one more than the other two.

7. Browns - F  the only thing they got right is the helmet which looks good.

8. Jacksonville - F  The uniform is bad but might get through for me but the helmet is like having a "C" going into the final & making a zero on it so there is no chance your gonna pass the class. The helmet is less than a zero on the final really.

The face mask is not chrome, it is the same silver as the helmet

Me after the new Dolphins and Jags.

• A Dolphins 2018.  Small change makes all the difference.
  • A-  Lions.
  • C+ Titans.
  • C Vikings.  
  • C- Dolphins previous.
  • D+ Seahawks.  
  • D. Jags 2018.  Maybe lower if not for points for dumping the awful helmet.
  • D Browns. 
  • F Jags previous.   
  • F Bucs.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Updating this with the new changes released today:

Dolphins (2018): I love the update even more than I thought I would, it makes the uniform even more clean and bright and does the exact things I hoped they would. This is one of the first uniform releases in a while in any sport that I was completely satisfied with.

D Jaguars (2018): Even though the helmet is an immense upgrade, like many others have said to me the uniforms as a whole are actually somehow a downgrade. I just really love the warmth gold brings to the set even in accents, and without it something just looks missing. The same goes with the one-color numbers, they work for some teams but the Jags aren't one of them to me.

• Dolphins 2.0. = A. The orange gives this design life again. It finally feels like MIAMI DOLPHINS again.
  • Lions = A- Maintains much of the classic identity
  • Vikings = B+ A modern approach to a classic design. I even like some of the "viking style" flourishes in the sleeve stripes & numbers
  • Seahawks = B- I think these uniforms are unfairly maligned. Neon green is used in just the right ways IMO
  • Dolphins 1.0 = C. Without orange, it looked mostly lifeless, especially compared to the throwbacks
  • Titans = C- While it definitely has that NIKE overdesigned thing going on, most of the elements work well. I like the sword sleeves
  • Jags 2.0 = C- Overcorrected for their former atrocities by creating one of the blandest uniforms of all time. NEEDS MORE GOLD
  • Browns = D. Took a classic uniform and turned it into dawg doo. Team name on pants? WTF?
  • Jags 2.0 = F.  A genuine eyesore. Whoever came up with the two-tone helmet should be tarred & feathered so they look like a two-tone helmet. 
  • Buccs = Is there a grade lower than an F? The absolute worst number font I have ever seen on any sports uniform anywhere. Repulsive.

Archived