B-Rich

Warriors to Keep Golden State Name Despite 2019 Move to San Francisco

Link

Hmmm... surprised that they are not going to change that collegiate-sounding place name.

Big mistake. Never should have adopted it in the first place.

I guess they've developed a large enough brand around it where they don't wanna let go of it.

It's still a stupid name, though.

Stupid. I wish them nothing but failure.

Since they see themselves as NorCal's main team and have won two titles as Golden State, it's not surprising they wouldn't change.

Man, this sucks.  I was really hoping they’d change back to San Francisco.  Golden State is a stupid name.  I think we should all just call them San Francisco anyway.

3 titles as GSW right? (75, 15, 17)

But yeah, the 2015-present run as possibly the best team ever probably made the name permanent.

That’s part of what I dislike about the recent run of success. The name became permanent, even though most people I know think it’s rather stupid.

I guess I am in the minority.  I've always liked the name and I'm not at all surprised they're not changing their brand given the team's recent success.

If they were still the sad sack Warriors of 10 years ago they would have changed the name 100%. This is dumb. San Francisco is clearly the stronger place name, hell they even have an SF logo when they still play in Oakland. Hopefully they'll go back to laughingstock for a decade or so and then they'll change the name

the warriors whole identity is terrible

Their identity as Golden State is iconic now, why on earth would they change it? Personally I don't mind it at all, I even kind of like it.  

7 minutes ago, henburg said:

Their identity as Golden State is iconic now, why on earth would they change it? Personally I don't mind it at all, I even kind of like it.  

Iconic yes, but still stupid. Golden State makes no sense when a: they're not the only team in California, and not even the most successful. The Lakers have them beat by miles and b: Golden State is not a name. It's a nickname. If they wanted to name the team after California, why not go with California? Not to mention they've spent time as the San Francisco Warriors, and will finally move back. It makes sense to change the name, however iconic it may be.

It's been a silly name for as long as it's been around. It sounds like a community college and they should've changed 15 years ago when they were one of the dregs of the league. I get why they're not changing now, though. It's become too valuable a brand to change. When people say "Golden State" they're not talking about California. They're talking about the basketball team. You don't just throw that kind of recognition away. 

34 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It's been a silly name for as long as it's been around. It sounds like a community college and they should've changed 15 years ago when they were one of the dregs of the league. I get why they're not changing now, though. It's become too valuable a brand to change. When people say "Golden State" they're not talking about California. They're talking about the basketball team. You don't just throw that kind of recognition away. 

This.

Is “The Golden State” a nickname for California? Yes. Does anyone really use that unless they are talking about the Warriors? Nope. They own that now. Why get rid of it?

The logo will have to go since it's the Oakland side of the bay bridge. No more bridge logos. Something different hopefully. I wouldn't be surprised if they adopt a logo more akin to their Chinese heritage alternate unis. 

Well, that section of the bridge touches Treasure Island, which I think is technically San Francisco, so they’re good! 

6 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

This.

Is “The Golden State” a nickname for California? Yes. Does anyone really use that unless they are talking about the Warriors? Nope. They own that now. Why get rid of it?

I pretty much just ask myself - "does it look / sound dumb?" and if the answer is "yes", then they should get rid of it.

"Golden State" Warriors sounds dumb.