Warriors to Keep Golden State Name Despite 2019 Move to San Francisco

B-Rich

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tigers said:

So Oakland loses it's NFL and NBA sides, city must almost be on fire.

Would rather Bayside than Golden State.

The could lose the A's as well depending on if they can get a new ballpark built at the Coliseum Complex. They tried and utterly failed at getting a downtown park. 

3 minutes ago, Wings said:

The could lose the A's as well depending on if they can get a new ballpark built at the Coliseum Complex. They tried and utterly failed at getting a downtown park. 

What are the local council thinking?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I pretty much just ask myself - "does it look / sound dumb?" and if the answer is "yes", then they should get rid of it.

"Golden State" Warriors sounds dumb.

Which isn’t a bad mantra. I’m sure they pretty much own Golden State for that very reason. No one else would be caught dead using it. It just seems like a Band-Aid/Jacuzzi situation for them now.

The brand name has surpassed the actual name of the product. Yeah they are the San Francisco pro basketball team, but everyone says Golden State out of habit.

1 minute ago, rxmc89 said:

Actually it is.  New England is the proper name of that group of states.  Golden State is an informal nickname.

The state legislature made "The Golden State" the official nickname of California in 1968. 

2 minutes ago, rxmc89 said:

It’s still a nickname.

Of course it is. Nobody's disputing that. Just disputing your incorrect claim that the nickname is "informal." 

Nevertheless, you're entitled to maintain your opinion that "Golden State" is dumber than "New England."

2 minutes ago, SplashBoogie said:

I've always liked how unique Golden State sounded. Oakland Warriors sounds dumb and San Francisco Warriors is pretty meh too.

+1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I hate this, but it was inevitable. No way they were going to throw away the brand equity with the "Golden State" moniker recently built up during this current run.

10 years ago, the "Golden State Warriors" sounded amateurish, not belonging in the NBA. Today, it's associated with the best team in all of basketball. I just wish they could've moved and rebranded before "Golden State" was synonymous with success.

1 hour ago, anythinglogos said:

I've never heard anyone refer to them as the Dubs in real life. 

I tried once. It didn't take. Went about like this:

Me: "They're playing the Dubs."

Friend: "Who?"

Me: "The Dubs."

Friend: "... What?"

Me: "Golden State."

Friend: "Oh. What did you call them before?"

Good call, for consistency's sake if nothing else.  They don't want to be the basketball equivalent of the Los Angeles/California/Anaheim/Los Angeles of Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels.  It doesn't further alienate Oakland fans than they already have, or those from other parts of the Bay Area.  'Golden State' is fine.

nav-logo.png

Archived