Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

18 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Such a fascinating term I never heard of before last week... I am personally fine with a cooky alternate here and there, but I wonder whether some teams understand the potential long-term effects of making their identities so disposable.

Well for Nike it doesn't matter. Their contract is with the league as a whole. Individual teams can't go to them and say "You guys are diluting our brand. We're switching to Under Armor." So long as Nike is doing well with the League, the more disposable the individual team designs the better. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

This effing board hates about everything. This is an upgrade.

The Titans old look was, well, old. A franchise like Tennessee needs change once in a while. The addition of silver is nice. I would prefer to see more Columbia but I’m not mad. Hope for a silver helmet. You guys make this seem so bad. I don’t love it, but it is okay.

Excited to see the alt and color rush, along with the helmets assuming this is it. AFC South getting a major makeover!! 

This is how I feel. I was never a big fan of the old look, especially the numbers.

I think it's best to wait until we see the whole uniform as a whole and then in game action.

Everything about that uniform is worse than what it is replacing. The gray yoke instead of Columbia blue is terrible. The armpit stain reeks of, "Oh :censored:, we need to add Columbia blue somewhere!" And Nike yet again :censored:ed up the number font. That font is atrocious, and they have a perfectly good unique font already available. What a major disappointment. Still probably the third best Nike design so far, sadly enough.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Nike designs the material and template, so it's more than an advertiser. 

Schutt designs the material and template of their helmets but can’t put their mark there because they haven’t paid the league to do so. If you’re paying for the ability to display your logo, that’s advertising 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Well for Nike it doesn't matter. Their contract is with the league as a whole. Individual teams can't go to them and say "You guys are diluting our brand. We're switching to Under Armor." So long as Nike is doing well with the League, the more disposable the individual team designs the better. 

For sure! I think Nike is ultimately devaluing these brands to squeeze a little extra revenue out of their contract... you could argue its obligatory for publicly-traded companies to maximize revenue, but its still a bummer for us uni marks, and potentially detrimental to some of these teams.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Schutt designs the material and template of their helmets but can’t put their mark there because they haven’t paid the league to do so. If you’re paying for the ability to display your logo, that’s advertising 

You're right...I was thinking "advertising" like the third-party ads on NBA jerseys that don't have anything to do with jersey design or make.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

32 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

This is how I feel. I was never a big fan of the old look, especially the numbers.

I think it's best to wait until we see the whole uniform as a whole and then in game action.

Well, yeah. But that's boring. Speculation is much more fun.

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It is nothing at all more than an advertiser. Before Nike, Reebok / Russel et al didn’t even make the jerseys, just had their logos stitched on at the ripon factory in Wisconsin. 

I do know Reebok didn't make gamers in '01. I own a Bills Reebok game jersey from '01 & the quality is completely different than their retail authentic jerseys... I also own an '00 Puma gamer, though, which, aside from the cut, is identical to the store-bought version, which was made in El Salvador... certainly in the case of Reebok and Nike, they are more than an advertiser in that they are actually designing a lot of these uniforms, too.

50 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Unless the number font changes under direct sunlight and the blue pits are, like, sweat-activated (I mean... they wouldn't... right?), game action won't change enough.

39 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Technically a team can.The packers are a prime example. Nike sourced uniforms were deemed unacceptable so they kept the same supplier (ripon) and swapped out logos. For new uniforms, teams and nfl properties have final say in what gets worn on the field. As far as advertising goes, the uniform and apparel contract is definitely an advertising vehicle for the nike brand but nike is without a doubt a vendor/supplier and licensee. I know lukas likes to call just about everything advertising, which there is a ton of but there are also legitimate sponsors that provide relevant products and support to a league/team.

My guess is that many of these recent nfl designs are significantly influenced by franchise leadership as the new designs often feel very dated out of the gate. They're tacky and 5-10 years behind current trends. They also conflict quite a bit compared nike's more constrained approach with cfb and their other team sports currently.

4 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Technically a team can.The packers are a prime example. Nike sourced uniforms were deemed unacceptable so they kept the same supplier (ripon) and swapped out logos. For new uniforms, teams and nfl properties have final say in what gets worn on the field. As far as advertising goes, the uniform and apparel contract is definitely an advertising vehicle for the nike brand but nike is without a doubt a vendor/supplier and licensee. I know lukas likes to call just about everything advertising, which there is a ton of but there are also legitimate sponsors that provide relevant products and support to a league/team.

My guess is that many of these recent nfl designs are significantly influenced by franchise leadership as the new designs often feel very dated out of the gate. They're tacky and 5-10 years behind current trends. They also conflict quite a bit compared nike's more constrained approach with cfb and their other team sports currently.

I think the issue is definitely down-trodden franchises undervaluing the importance of a consistent brand. Nike is doing their part by pushing the same gimmicks on all these teams, though. The fact that they are changing is ultimately a team decision, but I think the content of these changes is largely on Nike.

17 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

isnt there a new font we've been seeing? i think that alone will show this isnt 100% accurate

Ashley Strauss is the social media designer for the Titans and has used a (maybe tweaked) font from the "Crayfish AS" family for web use in her designs... no specific evidence it was meant for on-field use, though.

I like the font more than the painfully 00’s previous one. Everything else is a downgrade, from the contrived sword yokes, Columbia blue being sidelined, armpit panels, the introduction of silver, and 5 different colors on the uniform. Best words to describe this is busy and drab.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

4 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Ashley Strauss is the social media designer for the Titans and has used "Crayfish AS Bold" for web use in her designs... no specific evidence it was meant for on-field use, though.

Someone suggested to me that this could be RSG font 

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Ashley Strauss is the social media designer for the Titans and has used a font from the "Crayfish AS" family for web use in her designs... no specific evidence it was meant for on-field use, though.

Didn't we also learn Joe Bosack had a part in that font design? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived