Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

The old uni was ahead of it's time yet refined, this new look is jumbled mess and adds nothing positive. This gets tossed in the Nike junk bin with Cleveland and Tampa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I suppose it could have been worse. That's the best thing I can say about it. My opinion is that this is a downgrade from what they could have been wearing - note I said could, not what they were wearing before this. The navy over white looked great. The light blue over white looked great. White over light blue looked great. Unfortunately, what we got most of the time with the Titans was mono-blue or white over navy. 

I think I read somewhere that the guy who designed these also designed the new Browns and current Jags sets. This makes him 0 for 3. 

Todd Van Horne is the Executive VP of Football Designs at Nike. He needs to stay away from future designs. He also was in charge of the Seahawks set.

spacer.png

I don't completely hate them, which feels like a win at this point.

The blue helmet seems unnecessary to me.  The logo seems to small and the white outline make it too busy.  On the circle part of the logo there's basically four different outlines.  White-dark blue-light blue-white.  The helmet's finish, whatever it is, makes it look like some low budget school.  I tend to like gray facemasks, but not in this case.

I kind of like the number font.  I'm torn on the swords on the shoulders—sometimes they look fine, others they don't.  They work much better with double digit numbers than single digits.  I think they'll probably look fine on the field.  The blue under the armpits should definitely go.  I actually like the pants, though.  They're simple, the "stripe" is unique and ties into the uniform well.

Unfortunately they're going to probably wear monochrome most of the time because blue over white is easily the best look.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ok...sigh...where to begin?

1.  I don't like the helmet at all.  It looks way too much like the Argos, the sword stripe is way too thin and the logo is too small.  They should make the logo much larger and have the flames reach each other on the back.  Even fixing that the metallic facemask would ruin it For me anyway.  

2. I agree with those who see every recent Nike design as a veiled attempt to highlight the swoosh rather than the team identity.  The only use of red anywhere is the main logo and the swoosh.  

3.  The addition of grey in a much bigger way and then the 2nd grey only spoils a great 3 color design of navy/Columbia and red.  

4. The pant ant stripes are the least annoying feature, but should be navy and Columbia on white pants, navy and white on Columbia pants, etc.  I am just not a fan of the emphasis on grey. 

5. The design someone here did where the yoke extended in light blue rather than having underarm color blocks was vastly superior.  

6.  I was Ok with the new number font with the 8 but once I saw the monstrosity of the 3 and the 5 I am out.  

I see this as yet another overworked Nike downgrade.  If it weren't for the Vikings they would be 0-for-NFL.  They are just trying too hard and have no "editing eye" as Tim Gunn would say.  I should not be shocked. It's Nike the team that turned Oregon into a highlighter pen on crack and basically U. if Swoosh instead if Oregon.  

Just keep them them away from the Bills, far far away.  

Alright after good number of hours to digest this... these uniforms still look like they're a high school knock off.

There's nothing redeemable about this look. Everything they did was a downgrade to the previous one. Not the worst uniform in the NFL (which belongs to the Bucs), but it's somehow both modern and boring. Bottom 5 look in the league for me. Only the Browns, Bucs and Jags* are worse, imho.

*- Subject to change once the new Jag uniforms are revealed.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Obviously, this is coincidence and there are a lot of differences (plus, I wasn't the first person to come up with the idea to use sword inspired elements with a team like the Titans) but the similarities between the new uniforms and this concept I did back in 2016 was kind of cool/crazy to me. Always used the actual two-toned silver/gray stripe for one of my fantasy teams as well. Kind of makes me wish I would have pursued a career in this field.

Tennessee_Titans_Alternate_Uniforms_2.pnTennessee_Titans_Home_Uniforms.png

As far as the actual new uniforms go, the biggest disappointment for me is the unbalanced color scheme. Like the ideas they had but I think the old look balanced their color scheme a lot better and they could have translated that to the new uniforms with some better execution. Also not a fan of the custom number font they used, it just seems too choppy IMO.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

2 hours ago, Teal said:
6 hours ago, kimball said:

The baby blue is the Color Rush set.

Isn’t that the alternate?

I think they specifically called it color rush

I mean I'm sure at some point they will cart out a red color rush take on this design.

Unless the Eagles get the 2nd helmet rule thing through so we can get throwbacks again

That's all I want NFL, give me Throwback Thursdays and ditch Color Rush...pls

I guess the biggest thing I am sad about is the fact the logo didn't change at all (and if it did I certainly didn't notice it).  

I like the jersey and the pants but I don't like the font for the numbers nor do I like the dark helmet.  

To be honest I was rather hoping they would do a full blown overhaul with the logo and the colors.  That way the Texans could possibly have the rights back to do a Oilers throwback set.  

Oh well.  Guess we are all stuck looking at them for the next five years or so.

wAj9T56.png

5 hours ago, See Red said:

I don't completely hate them, which feels like a win at this point.

The blue helmet seems unnecessary to me.  The logo seems to small and the white outline make it too busy.  On the circle part of the logo there's basically four different outlines.  White-dark blue-light blue-white.  The helmet's finish, whatever it is, makes it look like some low budget school.  I tend to like gray facemasks, but not in this case.

The outer-most outline is silver on the helmet (I think that's a better choice than another white outline).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

These aren't uniforms anymore...they're costumes.

I go back to something McCarthy mentioned way back when he opined of the change of his Cincinnati Bengals' uniforms:

"The old uniforms said'we're a football team dressed like tigers'. The [current] uniforms say 'we're tigers who play football'."

Probably the single most profound bit of insight I've seen around these parts, and that was years ago. Now look where we are...the Titans (and more to the point, Nike and their NFL cohorts) have gone full-on cosplay on us. And in so doing, pretty much shot down two of the most unique elements of  existing brand: the shoulder yoke (which is still there, just now in the form of two-tone Nikegray--seriously, look at it, "wolf gray" AND "anthracite" right there together", to say nothing of the "obsidian" navy fabric"), and the columbia blue, which has been shoved to the side in favor of said Nikegray.

Here's the problem the navy helmet creates: whereas before the uniform had more of a "light and airy" feel to it, especially when the Titans wore white over Columbia--which also allowed their signature Columbia to be prominently featured--now the look is "darker" and more drab no matter what combo they wear, because that navy helmet is competing for attention against white, Nikegray AND (what little bit of) Columbia (they have left). In only two combos does that color stand out, and in one of those only barely. (That said, I've been watching the Titans de-emphasize Columbia ever since I relocated here to Nashville almost four years ago, much to the chagrin of many.)

I won't even waste time on the numbers, except to say they're yet the latest in Nikefied formulaic, overdesigned, robotic trash. Should've kept (and slightly updated) the former numbers, if for no other reason than continuity.

And "sword-sheath" pants stripes? Okay...setting aside the fact that they're angled the wrong way for something like that (and again, Nikegray, to the exclusion of either other team color), if they really wanted to hammer that idea home, wouldn't that have been the ideal place to put the alternate sword logo instead of the primary?

So yeah...huge swing and a miss for me. I get the feeling five years from now we'll be right back here revisiting this same discussion at the next "tradition evolution".

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I feel like it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. A heavy influence is placed on identity but if the team's lean into it, then it becomes a costume. This seems pretty subtle. If you didn't know what the theme was, your mind wouldn't necessarily thick it's a sword.

The bigger issue is that light blue and silver look terrible together and the helmet looks like a cheap attempt at a throwback.

I really like the helmet.  The rest not so much.  I liked the old school stripe on the out-going plants.  The "sword" stripe hasn't seen a down on the field and it looks dated.  Its not Tampa bad, but its not quite good either.  

there are some nice ideas here but you can have a lot of good individual invredients and still have an awful dish. they remind me a lot of the Seahawks, not only in color but in the way they take one idea and use it differently in so many other applications. what you might think would lead to unity actually leads to a broken system with no actual rule; their sword is different each time you see it and these elements all work against each other.

i could get over the tackyness (especially a satin shell with metallic facemask, omg) of it all if they didnt completley lose themselves in the process. columbia blue is important for them, it ties back to the Oilers and is their most unique color, yet it may as well not even be here. the jerseys two tone blue and yoke was their thing, now its not. 

nike gets too much blame though. the Vikings and Lions turned out great. end reaults really depends on the client you work with and this is one id love to have seen Nike just have full control over, minus the number design. they continue to prove they cant design a number set that is functional (hard to read) or aesthetic

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 hours ago, ONUV said:

6_3694650.jpg

That one on the left is an abomination.  They didn't get this set right.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

My reaction exactly. Better helmet, not enough light blue, those half-side panels are crap, I actually like the number font and the idea of the shoulder-sword but feel like it may be too much light color on a dark jersey...doesn't look bad in the photos but might in different lighting. Also, I read the helmet has a metallic finish? Is it kind of like the Giants' metal-flake? If so that's good...but again, seeing it in different kinds of light will show how much difference it makes. If it's anything like New York's, it'll be great. But I feel like that stupid underarm thing is gonna be every bit as bad as the irritating side panels that the Bengals and Patriots wear.

Also, forgot to mention this, but...dark blue helmet over dark blue jersey over white pants? I'd think they would want to do more to distinguish themselves visually from the Texans, but maybe the metallic finish on the helmet will help with that. Still think it would have been a perfect chance to go for light blue as the main jersey.

4 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Also, forgot to mention this, but...dark blue helmet over dark blue jersey over white pants? I'd think they would want to do more to distinguish themselves visually from the Texans, but maybe the metallic finish on the helmet will help with that. Still think it would have been a perfect chance to go for light blue as the main jersey.

Exactly how I feel about this look not distinguishing itself from that of the Texans. I feel that you should never look nearly identical to anyone in your own division. 

Archived