Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

20 minutes ago, Froob said:

Surprised so many love the helmet. It’s so busy and bland. White was much cleaner.

I think the helmets are the worst part.  Makes the logo feel small and boring, which is hard to do with a flaming tack.  And while the white helmet craze has been overdone (come on Bills, red helmet with blue jersey was your LOOK), the second worst offense is a drab navy helmet.  Should have stayed white.  2nd best, silver.  Third best, columbia blue.

Okay, the paneled white pants are pretty bad, too.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'll say that I actually like the new Titans uniforms and they're an improvement for me. I was never a fan of the old look and I get some of the gripes, but this is no where near as bad as the Browns or Buccaneers. The only part I feel sticks out is that "sword" on the pants. They should have just matched the helmet stripe or something. If any team can try something new it's the Titans.

Now, the biggest issues seem to be the shoulder swords, helmet, use of red, and numbers.

Think about what they had before...

Was there any red, other than the logos?

That old number font was horrible. Boxy, curved edges, giant serifs. Like something from an old computer.

The old shoulder stripes? Didn't match the pants or helmet. 

The old helmet? White looked horrible unless the Titans were wearing white pants or jerseys. The stripes didn't match anything.

Think if the previous set had been unveiled yesterday, people would have destroyed it. It was a mess, but since it's been around for 20 years I think everyone forgot that.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to be able to chime in on this:

I've got to be honest, the first impression wasn't great for me. These feel like a downgrade, not because of any one particular element like most Nike redesigns, but the look just overall doesn't feel as cohesive. I'll go through each part of the uniform:

I think the helmet might be the biggest part of the downgrade. I liked the white helmet for the Titans, although columbia blue would have been preferred to set them apart of course. This new helmet is what makes them look like every other navy team in the league to me. It also bugs me that the beveling of the "T" in the logo doens't match any of the other sword imagery, when there was an easy chance to.

I don't mind the number font at all, though it does look a little worse when compared to the perfect social media font. It's a bit thin, but still an improvement. I don't even mind the side panels much, but the thing that gets me is the double gray. Along with the shoehorning in of red, this is far too many colors for my liking and puts columbia blue even less prominent in the brand. I think they might've been a little too on-the-nose with the sword imagery, which still doens't feel very "Titans"-like.

While the sword sheath idea isn't bad in theory for the pants, as mentioned before it just doesn't work in execution. It's such a small stripe, and on the lighter colored pants it's barely even noticeable.

Overall, it's not terrible but it could have definitely been better. I just hope they wear the combos that will make the set look its best, but that's unlikely.

After sleeping on it, I still feel pretty much the same about these. There are a lot of great elements, and also some pretty bad ones. Pretty typical of a lot of the new Nike NFL uniforms really. 

As far as the helmets go, they're by far my favorite part of the uniform. Perfect use of a satin finish, great helmet stripe and the metallic face mask looks great. If I am nitpicking, the extra grey outline around the logo is definitely not necessary. Some of the concepts where the logo blends into the background look great. That said, they're still a huge upgrade in my book, one of my favorite NFL helmets right away. 

The jerseys are solid overall. I still like the sword yoke. The font is actually pretty good, it really just needs to be thicker. The '3' and '8' probably just need to be reworked altogether, but ouside of that I dig it. The side panels are bad and pointless. They were clearly put in due to the worry about the lack of columbia blue, but they really are invisible 90% of the time. If they were so worried about a lack of columbia blue, there are many other ways they could've incorporated it as evidenced by some of the concepts floating around this thread. Even simply changing the numbers to one color could've been enough. 

And finally, the pants are the weakest point of the set for sure. The fact that they created a great sword-based stripe for the helmets and neglect to use it on the pants as well really bugs me. I guess that they were worried about too many sword-inspired elements in the uniform. I don't even necessarily hate that tiny style of striping, but it doesn't fit at all in this uniform. I think that columbia blue socks would be better as well. 

All in all, there's at lot I like about this set. That said, there are obviously issues and I think that things are less cohesive than they should be. This thread is spilling over with hyperbole (navy helmet=Texans clone apparently), but that's pretty typical for this board around new unveilings. I look forward to seeing them on the field. 

spacer.png

After having a day to let it sink in, I rate this a lateral move or maybe even slight step backwards.

Pros: love the blue helmet, silver facemask is okay.

Cons: kept the thumbtack and those numbers.  Yikes, those numbers.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  And the highly gratuitous red swoosh.  Just...stop.  Please.

Was also hoping a return to a more conservative Columbia Blue that's less bright, but...

37 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

but the look just overall doesn't feel as cohesive. I'll go through each part of the uniform:

I actually thought this was the biggest issue with the Titans old uniform.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

7 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

I actually thought this was the biggest issue with the Titans old uniform.

Yea that was definitely true as well. I guess with the old uniform the inconsistencies were in the striping patterns, whereas now they’re in the color combos. The Titans were clearly a navy and columbia team before, but now it’s a bit less clear. The only combos that will look decent to me now are navy/columbia/navy and navy/white/navy.

19 minutes ago, hokupguy said:

sorry to be off topic, but are there any other teams expecting to have changes coming? Logo, Unis, Helmets and etc ??

The Jacksonville Jaguars are getting new Unis and a new Helmet, while the Miami Dolphins are getting minor tweaks to their look.

da0Lbhs.png

3 hours ago, Froob said:

Surprised so many love the helmet. It’s so busy and bland. White was much cleaner.

It's weird. 99% of the time I prefer color over white for helmets. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm really not feeling the navy helmet.

9 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Should have dropped the logo border, huge missed opportunity:

QVElExi.jpg

I think the sword yoke would’ve worked & flowed better if the T-sword logo were on the helmet. The helmet might’ve looked better too. I never liked the flaming thumbtack primary and felt the T-Sword secondary was more emblematic of both the Titans brand and the state of Tennessee. This was a perfect opportunity to move the right logo to the forefront and they completely whiffed. 

The side panels feel like they were trying to force Columbia Blue in somewhere. Columbia Blue could’ve been better implemented if the shading on the jersey word mark (white & Columbia) continues to the sword yoke instead two-tone Gray, this eliminating the need for unnecessary side panels just to squeeze Columbia Blue in. 

In short, this is another disaster from Nike. Can’t believe they get paid to come up with this garbage. 

NYCdog.png

They should have done the yoke thing on the pants too instead of the silly diagonal stripes that don't accomplish what the Nike bull :censored: says they're supposed to be.

I like the helmet logo with the silver around it, but also like the ones that have been posted with it removed.  Could go either way.  The sword stripe needs to go.  It's just bad design - you don't put stripes behind logos that go back as far as that.  The previous one - while goofy looking, was the right way to do it - if they needed a stripe at all, which I'd argue they do not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think these are as bad as most are saying. Are they a downgrade, sure? But they're not horrible. They're not as good as the Vikings or Lions but better than the Browns, Jags and Bucs.

I like the new helmet, although I would have prefered columbia. I don't hate the sword yokes and I've seen worse number fonts (Tampa).

The only things I hate are:

• Pants: Either go with a normal stripe, or the sword shape. This sheath nonsense looks terrible. Worse than JAX and Tampa's unfinished stripes. They don't need white pants at all, they should be silver if you're gonna have silver yokes.
  •  
  • Panels: They seemed forced at the last second to add more color. I'm sure they could have came up with something better than this, no? That concept floating around where the rest of the shoulder cap was filled in with the other color would have been perfect.
  •  
  • Navy numbers on the Columbia jersey: These should have been either white or silver.

The worst part of it all, is that I'm sure, as is recent Titans tradition, they'll wear their worst combos most often. (They'll probably be Seahawks south at home)

Combo ranking (most likely):

N-C-N

N-W-N

N-N-W

N-W-W

N-N-C

N-W-C

N-C-W (Navy numbers ruin this combo)

N-C-C

N-N-N

6 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I’ve always wanted my Falcons to get a redesign but never mind. I can deal with a uniform that isn’t very good over a train wreck.

You know you’re doing bad at designing uniforms when a comment like this appears. 

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

It's weird. 99% of the time I prefer color over white for helmets. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm really not feeling the navy helmet.

I think white nearly always looks better. Chargers and Bills have looked much much better since they switched to white.

1 hour ago, Froob said:

I think white nearly always looks better. Chargers and Bills have looked much much better since they switched to white.

I agree with this completely. 

The Titans wearing their navy jersey with the white pants is fine. But the all Navy look gets stale.

Archived