Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

The number set reminds me a lot of a slightly modified version of the Jaguars number set. I like the idea of basing the set around the 8, like the 2 and the 3 are. The 1, 4,5,6,7,9 all look out of place IMO. The concept set I've been working on tries to remedy this by basing the whole set around the 8, which I feel looks "Greek" or "Chiseled". I've never really created my own number set from scratch and really don't have that much knowledge of fonts so this is all my opinion on what would look good. Andrewharrington brought up a few good points about my redesign and from other comments I'm seeing that with creating a font or number set less can be more. I agree that straight up block numbers would look good on any design but if every team had block numbers it would be boring IMO. As pointed out custom fonts can look good, but there is a fine line between to much and not enough. I'm finding that as this concept evolves I'm lessening the custom elements to not distract so much from the shape of the numbers themselves and making the custom elements more uniform between the numerals. 

I know this isn't a concept thread but I might as well finish what I started. Here is my last attempt at fixing this number set. IMO this is as far as I'm going to take it and like the way it turned out.

Changes made: Thickened the weight and based the all the numbers off the 8. Decreased the size of the points on the ends and moved them to the center of the stroke and tried to match them to the shape made by the points in the 8. Got rid of the "Tennessee" inspired points on the right side of the numbers. Moved the center point of the middle bars on the 5,6,9 (while asymmetrical it makes them look less blocky and more like their respective numerals). For aesthetic purposes the thin middle lines are there to give it a beveled look without going full bevel (Could be used without though). 

Top set is their current set, the rest are my changes. 

titans%20numbers_zpsxzhkxi0m.png

What it might look like on the jersey.

Titans%20realistic2_zpsuhg7ensy.png

And here is one more idea using the same shape end points as the actual numbers.

Titans%20numbers%20end_zpsnfwnyyt2.png

Anyways I'll let you guys get back to discussing these monstrosities of uniforms. I like the ideas behind the uniform but I feel most of it it was poorly executed. With some tweaking the whole uniform redesign could have been something way better.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your 4 is brutal. Angle where one should never be. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The 4 stinks, but its a product of trying to be mega matchy matchy. but all the other numbers are HUGE upgrades. well done.

As for the titans, they blew the powder look, and it seems the chargers don't want it either, which SUCKS. and they added a mediocre custom font to it. Eh. I like the shoulders, rest of the uni gets a solid meh. heres to my jags doing something wayyyyyyy better.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Was this shared yet? I'm too lazy to go back 10 pages to find out. Interesting read about the Titans options for their new helmet. Looks like we dodged a bullet here folks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titans-had-a-wild-helmet-idea-in-mind-for-their-new-uniforms-before-going-with-blue/ 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

19 minutes ago, kimball said:

Was this shared yet? I'm too lazy to go back 10 pages to find out. Interesting read about the Titans options for their new helmet. Looks like we dodged a bullet here folks.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/titans-had-a-wild-helmet-idea-in-mind-for-their-new-uniforms-before-going-with-blue/ 

I hadn't heard of the chrome possibility yet, just the metallic silver. It sounds like they really exhausted a lot of options over the design process. 

Also, just to set the record straight because this article gets it wrong, the new helmet features a metallic satin finish, NOT a matte one. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm guessing that our infamous buddy knew a guy that knew a guy who had some info but no insight into the final decisions.

The guy who gave the info that they'd have red and silver jerseys, and that the jersey design would be that of armor and all heavily feature Columbia?

15 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

The guy who gave the info that they'd have red and silver jerseys, and that the jersey design would be that of armor and all heavily feature Columbia?

Yeah he was wrong on a lot, but did talk about some details that could have been in the early discussions.  I'm just thinking that if a chrome or brushed silver helmet were being considered, then other ideas were also considered, plus perhaps a gold Jags helmet was considered at some point. The rumor that the Browns are considering a white helmet is still a strong rumor (though in all likelihood not going to happen).

Hypothetically, if Stage 1 is the first rendering(s), and Stage 10 is the final product, I'd guess he had Stage 2 or Stage 3 info. Unfortunately he was trying to push his info as the final design.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah he was wrong on a lot, but did talk about some details that could have been in the early discussions.  

It is far more likely that he was just making stuff up or taking random guesses than he had concrete information about the early stages of the process (which would have involved far fewer people) than the later ones (where most leaks happen). 

How many people would have been privy to the early discussions but not the final decisions?

My prediction--they will stick with navy pants for most of their games as has been the case for years, only wearing white pants with their Titan Blue jersey on the road in September/October when they have to play somewhere like Jacksonville or Miami.

4 hours ago, henburg said:

I hadn't heard of the chrome possibility yet, just the metallic silver. It sounds like they really exhausted a lot of options over the design process. 

Also, just to set the record straight because this article gets it wrong, the new helmet features a metallic satin finish, NOT a matte one. 

Satin, is for all intents and purposes, nothing more than matte metallic (which is actually how my helmet rep first described it to me), so yeah, it kinda is...

57 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I almost wonder if they didn't go with the social media font we all thought was coming (slightly different brothers font), because the Blue Jackets started using it this year... 

Just a thought. 

17ADIMNHLBJCKTSFLAPT_is

Both of these typefaces are similar in basic style (and loosely similar to Brothers by association), but they are each custom designs, and not modified from Brothers.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They don't look anything like the Argonauts other than the colors used.  The designs are significantly different on every piece of the uniform.

That being said - you could do a lot worse than looking like the Argonauts - had they simply ripped them off, they'd have looked great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Flaming T just doesn’t look right on navy helmet. The logo is too busy. 

And what part of the uniforms is supposed to pay homage to the state of Tennessee? They said Tenn residents would be proud of it. 

24 minutes ago, Esco said:

And what part of the uniforms is supposed to pay homage to the state of Tennessee? They said Tenn residents would be proud of it. 

If you squint and use your imagination, the tops of the numbers somewhat look like the iconic shape of Tennessee.

Archived