Tradition Evolved: Tennessee Titans Unveil New Uniforms

I read a theory in another thread about Nike purposefully creating uniforms with short shelf lives. This uni adds fuel to that fire. Its like Nike is vulturizing floundering franchises by turning them into gimmicky, pump-and-dump merch hubs. I am sure these modern designs do sell, but they don't seem to last. I think constant uni changes hurt the long-term strength of a sports brand... its a great deal for Nike and an awful one for the actual teams. I wish more teams would take themselves as seriously as Green Bay, who still use Ripon for their on-field gear and never let Nike gimmick them up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SumanCommaJake said:

The ‘Titans’ under the collar on that jersey is not the one shown in the promo video from last week as it is only white and not white/Columbia blue. 

To be fair it looks like a youth jersey...which since it is smaller might not be able to have the same details (?)

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

6 minutes ago, SumanCommaJake said:

The ‘Titans’ under the collar on that jersey is not the one shown in the promo video from last week as it is only white and not white/Columbia blue. 

I think it looks white/silver. But I definitely don't see white/columbia in that leak.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm not going to overreact because this is a back stock room, cell phone photo of a fan replica.  I actually like the font much better than what they've been using on social media. I actually really like it.  I also don't mind the sword-tip yoke.  I thought I'd hate it.  I didn't like it in the previous mock-up (man, that guy must've had some inside info), but I like it here, and I love the red Swoosh.

What I don't like, like most everyone else, is the Columbia Blue armpit panel.  Nike hasn't used that in AGES.  And I feel like it's a way to just cram some extra Col.Blue in there.  They probably could've just made the armbands Col.Blue but I'm guessing these tie into the pants somehow.  I'm hoping it looks better on the uniform.  Any set with 4 colors is going to be hard to balance, but I actually think the combination of these colors is going to make this really nice in reality.  

I would imagine Grey pants are part of the set...and that makes me wish for a Grey helmet.  Unfortunately, all the rumbling about a Navy helmet makes me think that's what we're getting, too, and I'm not a fan of that at all.  

This feels like Seattle, but with a Titans theme.  I'm reserving judgement but I'm not disappointed and not blown away.

8 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

To be fair it looks like a youth jersey...which since it is smaller might not be able to have the same details (?)

The colors should still match though. It could be a late change to what was previously sent out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I don't think that changes any of the issues people have with this jersey so far.

#victorypits

Maybe these have that new "VaporPits" technology ;)

17 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I read a theory in another thread about Nike purposefully creating uniforms with short shelf lives. This uni adds fuel to that fire. Its like Nike is vulturizing floundering franchises by turning them into gimmicky, pump-and-dump merch hubs. I am sure these modern designs do sell, but they don't seem to last. I think constant uni changes hurt the long-term strength of a sports brand... its a great deal for Nike and an awful one for the actual teams. I wish more teams would take themselves as seriously as Green Bay, who still use Ripon for their on-field gear and never let Nike gimmick them up.

Dead on accurate in this assessment. The term is called "planned obsolescence." 

The situation with the Browns is going exactly to plan. An over-designed set came out seemingly calculated to draw fan attention until it becomes too much an eyesore and those same fans demand an update. It's not like the NCAA where schools can dump Nike/Adidas/UA for another supplier if they don't like it. Nike is under no pressure to design anything to last. 

If anybody ever dogs you for being a uniform nerd, just remind them that it teaches valuable life lessons, just like regular sports. Specifically, that life is filled with anticipation that is usually met with crippling disappointment. But we never give up hope, and we find the continuing will to live in those small moments of glory. Though it is still mostly just disappointment and failure. 

Based upon the jersey alone, I don't see how this is an upgrade. If this would've been their original jersey when they re-branded I would've liked it. But comparing this jersey to the one it is replacing, I like the original way better. So many unneeded and pointless changes in this design. Hoping once it is unveiled with the helmet and pants I feel differently. 

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

FYI the idea of planned obsolescence in uniform design is more than 20 years old. 

WaPo article from 1999.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1999/11/25/sports-apparel-companies-flood-market-by-design/c76df338-7db0-462f-8812-8405345fd425/?utm_term=.923e8fa8ccd6

Such a fascinating term I never heard of before last week... I am personally fine with a cooky alternate here and there, but I wonder whether some teams understand the potential long-term effects of making their identities so disposable.

This effing board hates about everything. This is an upgrade.

The Titans old look was, well, old. A franchise like Tennessee needs change once in a while. The addition of silver is nice. I would prefer to see more Columbia but I’m not mad. Hope for a silver helmet. You guys make this seem so bad. I don’t love it, but it is okay.

Excited to see the alt and color rush, along with the helmets assuming this is it. AFC South getting a major makeover!! 

Archived