BellaSpurs

Professional America Football Association; An Update

B works the best for me. A is a clever idea but would work better in a place with a modern navy base like Norfolk or San Diego. Nautical logos are underrated and New England coast should be a marvellous spot for a nautical themed team.

Surprise! Bet y’all arent expecting this. I swear I’m almost done with Boston. But I thought this could help my art block. What am I talking about? Well...

Over the weekend I cane up with designs for Boston and a combination of colors, I have settled on everything so don’t fret, but at the time it wasn’t all up in the air, i didn’t want to use the same colors over and over again so it was sorta difficult. What does this have to do with a surprise? Well I found the Original League, yep this isn’t my first stab at this, I alluded to it before when talking about the Black Bears. But yeah those first few teams were all original teams, sadly I don’t have any of the original drawings as of now except for Minnesota (http://imgur.com/1dodxgS) But this weekend I found two more, the Portland Thorns, which I have finished and another team that shall be up later this week, along with Boston and hopefully this weekend I will be sketching designs for AZ. So there’s my little story, now here’s the updated Portland Thorns. I personally love the update. But I know it’s not perfect, C&C is appreciated as usual.

The original Thorns:

1PzM5oh.png

The new updated Thorns:

xJVzH6o.png

Uniforms:

Originally I had a white home with green everything, which created a super unbalanced color scheme. The striping was interesting too. So what I did was I tweaked the striping and color balanced to create a sleeker more modern design. The original striping was two green stripes over arching the shoulders which is an okay design but it didn’t suit what I wanted for this team. I mimicked this striping on the home whites with a red shoulders and a green stripes. 

On the Away I swapped grey for red and got rid of the striping completely. Lastly the alternate is all grey in reference to the original away. I also updated all the side pants striping from a tangled line of vines and leaves to just one vine with thorns poking out.

Helmets:

I used the updated logo and a red triangular stripe on the original grey domes.

Logo: 

Simple update to make it look more like a rose while keeping the design close to the original.

C&C as always is greatly appreciated! Love to hear what y’all think.

Use that Thorns side of jersey mark around the sleeves aka like one of those stupid tattoos.

The Boston Frigates have arrived at the docks!

N6ej8ga.png

Uniforms:

I decided on UCLA stripes for the shoulder design, intended on giving it a more classic feel. The home whites have blue stripes with green numbers and the away uniforms are blue with green numbers and stripes. Each jersey are paired with blue shorts and matching socks and shoes.

Helmets:

I decided on white helmets which I know aren’t that unique, but for a team that’s rarely changed their identity and kept the same logo, this makes the most sense.

Logo:

As you can probably tell, I chose option B. I really liked @chapper‘s idea, but I couldn’t really find an identity o liked surrounding Option A. Especially once I started designing this. It’s simple and clean. The sails and boat are both royal blue and an alluded b in green with some flags on top also in green. 

Thanks for viewing! Happy 4th of July! C&C Appreciated!

Portland's logo looks great (a bit cleaner than its NWSL counterpart) and so do the jersey designs. However, I think there's too much silver throughout. A green alt would be nice. Also, if the helmet were green, it would be better (even with a GFGS alt). 

Boston looks nice also, but I'd go with white numbers on the home and blue on the away. Also, silver would maybe go well with the Frigates (hypocritical of me, I know) but it's already good as is.

Keep it up!

21 hours ago, vtgco said:

Portland's logo looks great (a bit cleaner than its NWSL counterpart) and so do the jersey designs. However, I think there's too much silver throughout. A green alt would be nice. Also, if the helmet were green, it would be better (even with a GFGS alt). 

Boston looks nice also, but I'd go with white numbers on the home and blue on the away. Also, silver would maybe go well with the Frigates (hypocritical of me, I know) but it's already good as is.

Keep it up!

I agree with you on the silver for Portland, in hindsight I should’ve toned it down a bit. But I mainly kept it to try and help

Portland establish its own identity. I figured Nike could come up with something stupid to explain it anyway. Thanks for the feedback! I may try to hand at a green helmet, so kept an eye out for that!

Though I'm not keen on "italicizing" objects, I think it might work for this logo, esp as it flows on the helmet.

Can I suggest shortening the Arizona team to just the Gilas?  I feel like that fits better.

Here’s that other team I found! The Los Angeles Stars! Except I need some help deciding which new logo to use. 

Original Stars:

M3ktMsI.png

New Stars Logo:

vz1eYP2.png

I really wanted to get onto Arizona this week, but I’ve had a lot of trouble with LA, I’ll take any suggestions. C&C highly considered.

I like #1 because it's the least obvious. I think you can play with the shape of it a little more, though.

#1 seems like the most flexible one, so I choose that one. 

2 hours ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

2 hours ago, CheeseBurger22 said:

Thanks for the feedback. 

Just curious if I got rid of option 1, which would you guys pick?

#4, but the LA should either be contained totally within the star or should break the line on both sides.

I would like 3 or 4 

I agree that 1 is the best as a primary, and I'd go with 3 as a secondary (or barring number 1).

I like the new blue + yellow colors way more, too!

Thanks for all the feedback! Should have the final product up tomorrow! Hopefully I’ll get the sketches for Arizona up too! 

#2 is probably my favorite, though I like #1 too.  I guess it depends on the direction you are going with, since #1 pairs well with modern elements while #2 has that retro feel

Here are the Los Angeles Stars. 

Original (again):

C8HIfEp.png

New:

OQHFZBZ.png

Uniforms:

For Los Angeles i wanted it to be bright and colorful. I wanted it to have a beachy, vibe. For the uniforms i tried a shoulder stripe that mimics a shooting star, I did the same on the pants. The away is the only jersey without the shoulder pattern. The hone and away focus on the light blue and California Yellow. Where as the alternate mixes in more of the Royal blue formerly used as just an accent in the other jerseys.

Helmets:

A white helmet with the logo on the side and a stripe down the middle. 

Logo:

I chose option 3. It was in my opinion the best evolution of the original which is what I wanted. I really liked the idea of option 1, with some tweaking it could make a really good logo. But it’s just not what I wanted when updating this team. Thanks for all the feedback!

Be on the lookout for the first Arizona Gila Monsters sketches!

C&C Appreciated!