Logos And Uniforms That Are So Ugly They’re Awesome

CheeseBurger22

41 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They are ;) 

...and I'm pretty sure most Sharks fans either don't know or don't care about the Seals/Barons' legacy. But they should, because it means they can say "We're not bad enough to move to 30 minutes outside of Cleveland or get absorbed into the Dallas Stars."

Speaking of which, I hope the Sharks wear a Shark-ified version of a Seals uniform as their new third. We don't need the "Joe Thornton PTSD" black jerseys coming back.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They are ;) 

In a sense, that’s actually true. The Barons/North Stars merger was essentially undone with the Sharks splitting off from the franchise in 1991. The Sharks took half the players from the North Stars’ organization (mostly from the minor league teams), and both teams participated in the expansion draft that year.

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

...and I'm pretty sure most Sharks fans either don't know or don't care about the Seals/Barons' legacy. But they should, because it means they can say "We're not bad enough to move to 30 minutes outside of Cleveland or get absorbed into the Dallas Stars."

Speaking of which, I hope the Sharks wear a Shark-ified version of a Seals uniform as their new third. We don't need the "Joe Thornton PTSD" black jerseys coming back.

Agreed on all counts. 

I really want the Sharks to embrace the Seals/Barons lineage for a few reasons. 

1) As you said, the alternate options are great!

2) There’s a neat symmetry in having all of the “Next 6” teams around alongside the “Original 6” teams. 

3) The Seals/Barons may not have set the world on fire, but there’s history there regardless. It’s worth honouring. 

I think the Sharks are aware of this, because they’ve tipped their cap to the Seals/Barons before. I would just like the team and league to go all-in on the connection. 

1) The Gunds were part owners of the Seals.

2) The Seals moved to Cleveland to become the Barons.

3) The Gunds became total owners of the Barons.

4) The Barons and the North Stars merge, with the Gunds owning the North Stars.

5) In lieu of being allowed to move the North Stars to the Bay Area, the Gunds are given an expansion team. However, the Gunds are allowed to take a large portion of the North Stars roster with them; the North Stars participated in the expansion draft along with the Sharks after having been in the NHL for 25 years.

That's a de-merger, folks.

15 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

1) The Gunds were part owners of the Seals.

2) The Seals moved to Cleveland to become the Barons.

3) The Gunds became total owners of the Barons.

4) The Barons and the North Stars merge, with the Gunds owning the North Stars.

5) In lieu of being allowed to move the North Stars to the Bay Area, the Gunds are given an expansion team. However, the Gunds are allowed to take a large portion of the North Stars roster with them; the North Stars participated in the expansion draft along with the Sharks after having been in the NHL for 25 years.

That's a de-merger, folks.

I've always considered the Sharks as a straight up expansion team with no connection whatsoever to any other franchise.  But, I'll buy that.  

Archived