Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

On 5/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, habsfan1 said:

I have a feeling Rinne just played his last game as a Nashville Predator.

He has a NMC and one more season on his contract. He's still playing above average, especially for his age. Yes, there were absolutely consistency issues, in the playoffs, but the guy just had a Vezina-caliber season and 2 shutouts in 7 playoff games. 

It needs to be addressed, but this isn't an abandon ship situation.

If anything, Nashville eats cap space and moves to a 2 goalie system, letting him choose to either finish out his career as a Predator, or go be a veteran backup for another franchise.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:46 AM, habsfan1 said:

Would Vegas be in this position without Marc-André Fleury?

Absolutely not. Playoffs, probably, but not 1st in the Pacific, and there's no way they would have gotten out of that LA 1st round series with Subban in net.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asking a 36-year-old goalie with hard miles and a bad hip to go out and win a Stanley Cup is a lot to ask, but a year at $7MM for a backup is steep and the Perds don't seem inclined to retain salary. My guess is something like a 48/34 split with Saros and then no hesitation to commit to Saros in the Stanley Cup as soon as things get dodgy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Asking a 36-year-old goalie with hard miles and a bad hip to go out and win a Stanley Cup is a lot to ask, but a year at $7MM for a backup is steep and the Perds don't seem inclined to retain salary. My guess is something like a 48/34 split with Saros and then no hesitation to commit to Saros in the Stanley Cup as soon as things get dodgy.

That's more what I'm thinking. I was just saying that if they absolutely were going to try to shake up the crease, I could see them trading Saros and going to a more established young goalie who they can do a 2-man system with. Then let Rinne retire and back to a single goalie.

I think it comes down to the confidence they have that Saros is ready for the #1 job sooner, rather than later. With Hartman and Saros being the only significant contracts up for negotiation, this offseason, the Preds are poised to have a good run next season, with little need for changes.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Two questions on my mind as we watch this game wind down:

1) Why is Coach of the Year Gerard Gallant playing useless knuckle-dragger Ryan Reaves in the third round of the Stanley Cup against a team that's loaded at forward?

2) Recognizing that the Jets were the second-best team in the league who knocked off the first-place team in the league and were more likely than not to make Fleury look human at some point, how wretched were the L.A. Kings that the Knights made them look like they didn't belong in the NHL?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Caps take a baloney penalty. First one on Wilson was sketchy as well imo. 

EDIT: Tampa’s scored on both. Just peachy. 

spacer.png

Archived