Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

23 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Oh yeah dude. I’m already looking at dropping $200 on the jersey with the Cup final patch. Debating between Backstrom and Oshie. 

I still plan to get something else (maybe the DVD/Blu-Ray) or I saw a Stanley Cup crystal puck made with ice from the rink. The puck made from the rink ice sounds awesome.

EDIT: http://shop.nhl.com/Washington_Capitals_Gear/Washington_Capitals_Fanatics_Authentic_2018_Stanley_Cup_Champions_Crystal_Puck_-_Filled_with_Ice_From_the_2018_Stanley_Cup_Final

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time I learned about TJ Oshie was when he took all those penalty shots in the the Olympics. I didn't know he was on the Caps (I assumed the Wild because why not), but it's cool to see him win the Cup. Cooler still with the nice things he said about his father.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

^^

That is so "hockey."  Missing tooth, no shaving for the postseason.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

From TSN's BarDown, a number of firsts with the 2017-18 Washington Capitals:

• First team with a Russian captain to win the Stanley Cup
  • Jay Beagle becomes the first player ever to win a Kelly Cup (ECHL), Calder Cup (AHL) and Stanley Cup (NHL) in his career
  • Lars Eller becomes the first Danish player to win a Stanley Cup
  • Nathan Walker becomes the first Australian player to win a Stanley Cup

Meanwhile, the Stanley Cup had quite the journey last night in Las Vegas.

I'm as happy for the Capitals and Ovechkin as I've ever been for any team to win the cup. I'm happy for Barry Trotz as well who told my parents in a Pittsburgh CVS in March that he didn't want to play the Blue Jackets in the playoffs and according to my mom gave a 20 to a homeless guy. 100% true story.

It doesn't really make sense that this was the team to finally break through, but it didn't really make sense that their better teams couldn't get past the second round. The caps were always my bandwagon team year after year after year and I watched in disbelief when they lost to the likes of Jaroslav Halak, inferior Penguins teams, a couple Lundqvist victimizations. I can't speak for Capitals fans, but it all feels worth it now. 

Also that game was a great display of hockey for anyone wandering in off the street. The clock snafu was so OITGDNHL. Thank god it didn't end up affecting the play. 

Congrats to Vegas on the best first season by an expansion team ever. I'm really really glad they didn't win the Stanley Cup and I think we all avoided a major goof by the league had they won. Feel free to win it all next year, I won't have a problem with it then. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I'm as happy for the Capitals and Ovechkin as I've ever been for any team to win the cup. I'm happy for Barry Trotz as well who told my parents in a Pittsburgh CVS in March that he didn't want to play the Blue Jackets in the playoffs and according to my mom gave a 20 to a homeless guy. 100% true story.

It doesn't really make sense that this was the team to finally break through, but it didn't really make sense that their better teams couldn't get past the second round. The caps were always my bandwagon team year after year after year and I watched in disbelief when they lost to the likes of Jaroslav Halak, inferior Penguins teams, a couple Lundqvist victimizations. I can't speak for Capitals fans, but it all feels worth it now. 

Also that game was a great display of hockey for anyone wandering in off the street. The clock snafu was so OITGDNHL. Thank god it didn't end up affecting the play. 

Congrats to Vegas on the best first season by an expansion team ever. I'm really really glad they didn't win the Stanley Cup and I think we all avoided a major goof by the league had they won. Feel free to win it all next year, I won't have a problem with it then. 

Well said. Completely agree on all of it. I don’t think we here on this board should let our frustration over Vegas’ expansion draft blind us to what a great season they still had. You still gotta show up in the postseason no matter how good your team is on paper (trust me, I’d know). 

It seems like they have great fans and are still set up for future success. I wish them well in the future. If you are a Vegas fan though, just hope McPhee doesn’t have a Forsberg-for-Erat moment. 

spacer.png

Interestingly, this spring had the fewest overtime games (10) since 2000 (9). And 5 of this year’s OT games involved the Caps.

First Time since 1997 we had no overtime games in the conference finals/Cup Finals.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

In a way this is a the opposite of the 2001 Angels.  That team's not the one that should have won a World Series and they could never repeat it even with the Torii Hunter/Vlad Guerrero/Mark Teixeira/62 save K Rod squad of 2008.

VmWIn6B.png

The 2006 Cardinals were similarly a lifetime achievement award for 2002, 2004, and 2005, except that team wouldn't have even made the postseason without the rest of the division burping up cat poop all at once, and even this year's Capitals still won the division.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This was one of my favorite tweets about last night (how can something feel like it happened 100 years ago but also feel like it happened like 2 seconds ago?)

spacer.png

The 2006 Colts were not even a top 5 Manning-led Indy team. And they had to play a Wild Card game, no first round bye! 

And THEY won a Super Bowl.

Hell, they had to win their final game just to get the 3 seed over New England.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

The 2006 Cardinals were similarly a lifetime achievement award for 2002, 2004, and 2005, except that team wouldn't have even made the postseason without the rest of the division burping up cat poop all at once, and even this year's Capitals still won the division.

2011 Dallas Mavericks also fit these descriptions.

spacer.png

Imagine if Ovechkin had signed with the Penguins after one of those postseason losses. All the emotion, all the feelings of finally overcoming failure and redeeming yourself, would all be gone. Sure, his new team would be a juggernaut and he'd probably have 3 Cups by now, but they'd be hollow. Every postseason would turn into a joyless slog towards an inevitable result that nobody enjoys, and not even Ovechkin himself would be able to celebrate because he'd know that he did nothing more than hitch himself to a team that didn't need him.

There's probably a comparable player for this in another sport, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Archived