Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

It would be preferable to another Penguins cup because those are the worst people on the planet, but not by much.

It just feels artificial. It feels like something that would happen in a second tier arena football league. I get it now - they didn't want another Atlanta repeat, and they finally figured out it's bad for business for your expansion teams in new markets to suck ass for their first ten years. I wish they had realized that in 2000. It makes more sense to not make it so difficult on new markets and new fans, but they over-engineered things and made it too easy, which is why it's not a good story. They :censored:ed with the integrity of their standings and playoffs at the detriment of their existing franchises who've put work into building the league and building their teams. I'd be pissed if I was another owner, especially the McConnells who needed 17 years of bashing their heads against a wall to have a team as good as the Knights have without even trying. 

It still doesn't add up. William Karlsson isn't that good. James Neal isn't that good. Marc-Andre Fleury was once but he's in his mid-thirties by now and you expect him to continue the decline he started in Pittsburgh. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

Well damn. Why I gotta go to hell? It’s hot there, and to be fair Las Vegas is plenty hot as it is. It’s just a game my guy.

Sure it's a game, Mr. Noire, but as fans we still heff to be mad. If we weren't passionate about this, then why even bother watching and complaining about it to other sports nerds?

I get annoyed mainly at two things in this series: One, DeBoer hasn't proved he can adjust well in a series, especially when he's beaten by speed. It doomed San Jose in 2016 and it's gonna do it again here. Sure, they ate crow once or twice during the regular season, like the 6-0 beatdown in Dallas on NYE, but if they lose tomorrow, I highly doubt they can take four of five versus this rag-tag group of Little Giants on ice in the desert.

Secondly, and I know this is going to sound petty, but there's an undertone of gatekeeping and paying your dues here. I'm sure folks in St. Louis, Toronto and other markets who were cup starved for a while just hated Colorado's inaugural title and if this season plays out the same way, I'd expect the same response. It's only natural to have fans of teams who have suffered through disappointment and underachieving to be bitter seeing some new fans get to celebrate something that is annoyingly rare and stupidly hard to achieve. Suffice to say, yea, I'd be annoyed to see Vegas fans talk trash when they've been here 15 minutes. The concept of "earning it" is alive and real - shoot, look at the NFL Draft and how draftees say they want to "earn respect" - and while it seems unnecessary and petty, it shouldn't be surprising why myself and several other fans here and at large, want to see Cinderella get punched in the face a few times. 

Besides, Dante's Inferno says one of the levels of Hell is super cold and icy, so really, it'd be doing you a solid. YOU'RE WELCOME.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

13 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It still doesn't add up. William Karlsson isn't that good. James Neal isn't that good. Marc-Andre Fleury was once but he's in his mid-thirties by now and you expect him to continue the decline he started in Pittsburgh. 

James Neal is better than anyone the 2000-2001 Columbus Blue Jackets got in the expansion draft. Geoff Sanderson would be the closest comparison. The math of the expansion draft is why their success doesn't surprise me. They got a proven starter out of the gate and we knew when the rules were released that they'd have a solid blueline just because of how few dmen teams were allowed to protect. The CBJ and Wild had fewer exposed players to choose from and had to split the pool. Look at the inaugural Sharks roster or the 99 Thrashers and laugh. Maybe it's good we're not doing that to new fanbases anymore, but VGK got the 9th best dude from every NHL team AND players/picks for agreeing not to take certain players. Some of those 9th best dudes were bound to have been playing sheltered minutes on their old teams ala Karlsson. Having watched him the last couple years his skill translating to this offensive explosion is not as surprising to me as it is to some others. Turns out a team full of top to bottom not bad players can do some damage in the parity of the NHL. If given the choice to restart with the Knights expansion draft rules I think a lot of GMs would take that option. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Alex Houston said:

Sure it's a game, Mr. Noire, but as fans we still heff to be mad. If we weren't passionate about this, then why even bother watching and complaining about it to other sports nerds?

I get annoyed mainly at two things in this series: One, DeBoer hasn't proved he can adjust well in a series, especially when he's beaten by speed. It doomed San Jose in 2016 and it's gonna do it again here. Sure, they ate crow once or twice during the regular season, like the 6-0 beatdown in Dallas on NYE, but if they lose tomorrow, I highly doubt they can take four of five versus this rag-tag group of Little Giants on ice in the desert.

Secondly, and I know this is going to sound petty, but there's an undertone of gatekeeping and paying your dues here. I'm sure folks in St. Louis, Toronto and other markets who were cup starved for a while just hated Colorado's inaugural title and if this season plays out the same way, I'd expect the same response. It's only natural to have fans of teams who have suffered through disappointment and underachieving to be bitter seeing some new fans get to celebrate something that is annoyingly rare and stupidly hard to achieve. Suffice to say, yea, I'd be annoyed to see Vegas fans talk trash when they've been here 15 minutes. The concept of "earning it" is alive and real - shoot, look at the NFL Draft and how draftees say they want to "earn respect" - and while it seems unnecessary and petty, it shouldn't be surprising why myself and several other fans here and at large, want to see Cinderella get punched in the face a few times. 

Besides, Dante's Inferno says one of the levels of Hell is super cold and icy, so really, it'd be doing you a solid. YOU'RE WELCOME.

I get the concept of paying dues (it’s antiquated but whatever), but coming from a Clippers fan let me say I’m thrilled a team I cheer for doesn’t have to be the drizzling sh**ts before winning anything.

I mean this could’ve gone the opposite direction. Sure they had a better team than most expansion teams have had, but it’s still mostly guys that weren’t stars. They had to play the games, and Vegas did their job.

I’ll give you this though, some of our fans are really obnoxious. I’ll wrap that up as just being really excited for having a pro team now. We would probably still go crazy if we lost every game. I expect that will change as the years go on. Oh, and you can keep that ice cold too.

The fact that it's a "city" as wretched as Las Vegas is what pushes the irritation over the top. If it were Seattle or Quebec, it would still be annoying on principle, but at least it wouldn't be this gauche hellhole with its endless subdivisions of pea-gravel front yards.

5 hours ago, ninersdd said:

I know they’re just minority owners, but there are no people less deserving of success then the Maloofs. F them.

Amen!  Those doucheballs are the only thing keeping me from the Vegas bandwagon.  No one in sports is less deserving of anything good than those two morons, and that includes Garth Snow.

Slow, shmlow, the Perds lead 32-10 in shots on goal. They started plenty fast (10-2 at one point early), it's just that Hellebuyck's a goddamn beauty. 

Refs bet on the Perds, they've dominated in shots and still lead 3-0 in power play attempts. What perfect little angels they must be!

EDIT: and then Scheifele scores to make it 3-0 in actual goals, lol at Nashville, their fans, their refs, and everyone.

I know that this game is mostly a product of Hellebuyck being awesome and Rinne having one of his shaky games, but I like to think of it more as the Jets being a goddamn offensive juggernaut (which they aren’t not).

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

3 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

I know that this game is mostly a product of Hellebuyck being awesome and Rinne having one of his shaky games, but I like to think of it more as the Jets being a goddamn offensive juggernaut (which they aren’t not).

Nashville has had the better of them in possession and it's not even close, which is strange because usually the Jets forwards + Byfuglien do with you what they want, but they've made the most of what tiny little bursts they've had. It's going under the radar because of Fleury but Hellebuyck is going for back-to-back-to-back you-know-whats, which is amazing for a young goalie who was drifting toward #1A status last summer.

If anyone's been a juggernaut, it's been the kill unit, one of which was without Wheeler.

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Refs bet on the Perds, they've dominated in shots and still lead 3-0 in power play attempts. What perfect little angels they must be!

EDIT: and then Scheifele scores to make it 3-0 in actual goals, lol at Nashville, their fans, their refs, and everyone.

I'm not excited by the prospect of rooting for Vegas just to spite you in the next round. 

This is irrelevant to the current game, but I wanna point out I went 7-for-8 on my first-round predictions and got the exact number of games on two (would've been a perfect 8/8 and three exact series, but Toronto had to go and screw it up).

53Ocz8U.png

Hell of a third-period surge from Nashville here, puck's always in the Jets' end, if the next goal doesn't make it 4-1, they probably tie it and win.

Archived