Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

Interesting that Winnipeg dramatically reduced its penalty minutes this year, but now in this series against the NHL's Li'l Darlin', there's nothing they can't get sent to the box for.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Interesting that Winnipeg dramatically reduced its penalty minutes this year, but now in this series against the NHL's Li'l Darlin', there's nothing they can't get sent to the box for.

Penalties are six aside, feel free to put the tin foil away.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Jets are about to win because of the NHL’s conspiracy to screw over Nashville with those three straight penalties and no other reason that a rational person could think of. 

I'll believe the Caps will beat the Penguins when they've actually done it. Until then? I'm convinced Pittsburgh will find a way to pull it out.

It's nothing personal, Caps fans. I don't actually have anything against you guys or your team. Olaf Kolzig was pretty cool, after all. I'm just saying. I've become jaded and cynical regarding this team in the playoffs. Prove me wrong, Capitals. Prove me wrong.

13 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Penalties are six aside, feel free to put the tin foil away.

You're just lucky the Predators committed a rash of game-losing dumb penalties right after I posted!

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

I've seen the Preds give up 3-0 leads before in the playoffs. This is how it begins. 

This wasn't a jokey reverse jinx bit, I legitimately had no confidence in that lead holding. Everything about how the Preds got those 3 was so flukey. The Jets comeback was more inevitable that amazing, sadly. Predators would appear to be doomed. 

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

You're just lucky the Predators committed a rash of game-losing dumb penalties right after I posted!

Ah yes, so very lucky. If your "lil' darling" theory held any water, at least one of those three wouldn't have been a call.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

GOOD-ASS TWEET

DcKF9paWsAElssv.jpg

I was waiting for this and I got it. Ohhhhh yeah.

EDIT: he deleted it and posted a sorry-not-sorry amidst some standard-issue protect-our-large-adult-son-and-special-boy-at-all-costs crap

I like the cadence of "white men on Twitter love black men on ice skates," but they don't, actually, nobody takes a blood oath to Joel Ward, it's really just this one guy. A guy who hasn't even been good in this series.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sissons upside-down is Snossis!

The snossisberries taste like snossisberries!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Hey, what's it gonna take to sit Tom Wilson's ass in the press box for endangering players like it's 1993 out there? Christ Almighty, it doesn't stop with this piece of crap.

5 hours ago, Kaz said:

I want the Bruins/Caps/Jets/Sharks to advance, but deep down I kinda want to see the Bruins/Pens/Perds/VGK advance just for the meltdown potential 

Too much yellow. No thanks.

Go Jets Go. That is one hell of a team. How it all magically finally came together kind of astounds me. (Hell, remember when they extended Maurice and Chevaldayoff before the season, and we all said... what?) But, hey, it's pretty awesome right now.

And hey Caps... nice job.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Hey, what's it gonna take to sit Tom Wilson's ass in the press box for endangering players like it's 1993 out there? Christ Almighty, it doesn't stop with this piece of crap.

Where have all the goons gone?  Back in my day, Wilson would have been run through the boards and his remains pounded into the ice by the likes of a Dave Schultz, Bob Probert, Tie Domi, Chris Simon or even a George Parros...   Wilson and Marchand in the ECF would be a joy to watch.

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'll believe the Caps will beat the Penguins when they've actually done it. Until then? I'm convinced Pittsburgh will find a way to pull it out.

It's nothing personal, Caps fans. I don't actually have anything against you guys or your team. Olaf Kolzig was pretty cool, after all. I'm just saying. I've become jaded and cynical regarding this team in the playoffs. Prove me wrong, Capitals. Prove me wrong.

I could not have put it better myself. Until they beat the Penguins two more times, all these leads and good performances mean absolutely nothing. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, tp49 said:

Where have all the goons gone?  Back in my day, Wilson would have been run through the boards and his remains pounded into the ice by the likes of a Dave Schultz, Bob Probert, Tie Domi, Chris Simon or even a George Parros...   Wilson and Marchand in the ECF would be a joy to watch.

normal.png?1507823795

nav-logo.png

I have this really sickening feeling that the Caps are going to win Thursday, go up 3-1, and blow it in 7, meaning that if they would have prevented the five minute meltdown of Game 1, they would have wrapped up the series already. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I could not have put it better myself. Until they beat the Penguins two more times, all these leads and good performances mean absolutely nothing. 

This series should be 3-0 Caps and even if it was I still wouldn't feel good. 

Reasons to be optimistic - I think that was Murray's best game of the 3 and they still lost. I'd wager on at least one more stinker out of him. The Penguins blue line might be the worst defensive unit left in the playoffs (and did anyone catch Kris Letang whacking Ovechkin with his stick after the goal? I'm so ready for their brand of bitchy, snotty crybaby hockey to end). The Penguins can't seem to score when the Crosby line isn't on the ice so that's something to watch as well. 

Reasons to pessimistic - a call went against the Penguins which means the officials will get a directive to even it up in the next game even though it would take about 35 crucial bad calls or bad no-calls to work against Pittsburgh before the universe is squared. Tom Wilson should probably take a seat for a game or two. He's targeted at least 5 melons in the playoffs and the league's done nothing. The Penguins thrive off of trolling, which means being down in a series is the exact situation they're built for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Go Jets Go. That is one hell of a team. How it all magically finally came together kind of astounds me.

As best I can tell, it went 

1) get Patrik Laine

2) stop taking dumb penalties

3) Hellebuyck matures into elite goalie

That's not to sell Ehlers, Connor, or other recent-ish draft picks short (the Jets are an overwhelmingly drafted/developed roster), but those were the biggest turning points in what's otherwise been a pretty constant model. I did laugh when Lambert said "all the Jets had to do to get this good was have good goaltending." Well, kinda, but there's also the matter of the 19-year-old who scored 44 goals...

If you haven't been keeping tabs on Dan Carcillo, which is to say you've been out living your life like a well-adjusted human being, you might be surprised to find out he's become an advocate for player safety. Zeal of the convert, huh?

I guess Wilson does have a hearing coming up now. I hope he gets suspended at least three games, which is what Andrew Shaw got for brushing up against a flopping Mike Smith six (!) years ago.

Archived