ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

I'm enjoying watching the meltdowns in this thread.

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

lol you think this is what makes Gary Bettman look like a piece of crap? What, the three lockouts in 19 years didn't do it for you?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it might be the thing that makes the owners think he's a piece of crap, especially if they're still as short-sighted and greedy as I remember them to be: "my team's twice/thrice/four times as valued as them, but they get a free Cup and I don't?!"

The owners wanted Las Vegas as much as he did. There's a Jim "Players Are Cattle" Devellano interview from like 2005 where he's furiously beating off to the prospect of Las Vegas expansion.

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I don't pay any attention to the NHL.  I am football and basketball mostly.  NHL is tied with baseball for me in terms of least amount of attention. 

If you don't pay attention to the NHL, why are you posting in this thread? Just curious. 

C'mon I want to see a parade down Pennsylvania Avenue in DC and see Bettman bawling his eyes out by the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas!" sign.

But that means Washington has to win a Game 7...

I honestly can’t think of a time when a wannabe top-tier professional sports league biffed it quite this badly. This :censored: makes Arena Football look like a professionally run organization. 

Today's game was the first time I've watched an NHL game in years on TV, and it was a better sporting option to watch than golf, which is a snore to watch on TV (although I am sure is a fun sport to play) and Auto racing.  It was the only thing on TV to watch. 

4 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it might be the thing that makes the owners think he's a piece of crap, especially if they're still as short-sighted and greedy as I remember them to be: "my team's twice/thrice/four times as valued as them, but they get a free Cup and I don't?!"

How are the Knights getting a "free Cup"? They're earning their success on the ice like everyone else.

If the Knights' run this year gets Bettman fired, then it's even more worth it.

The only thing that matters is that we get another year without a Canadian team winning the Cup. It would have been especially dreadful if a team from a place that isn't even real won it. 

Thank you, Vegas.

putting this on now:

Related image

i wonder if someone in the league (or NBC) put some big money Knights to win the Cup (maybe not in Vegas but someplace).  

3 minutes ago, The Six said:

The only thing that matters is that we get another year without a Canadian team winning the Cup. It would have been especially dreadful if a team from a place that isn't even real won it. 

Thank you, Vegas.

Just :censored: off!

9 minutes ago, Norva said:

I'm enjoying watching the meltdowns in this thread.

It’d be more fun if it weren’t so predictable. But still fun. 

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The owners wanted Las Vegas as much as he did. There's a Jim "Players Are Cattle" Devellano interview from like 2005 where he's furiously beating off to the prospect of Las Vegas expansion.

They wanted Las Vegas, sure, but did the other owners want Las Vegas to be this good right off the bat? That I'm not so sure about.

2 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

How are the Knights getting a "free Cup"? They're earning their success on the ice like everyone else.

I meant the whole "getting more favourable expansion terms than any other team" deal. Sure, they went out and won their games like any other team but you can't deny they got a much bigger boost than any previous team.

Plus, they have the built-in advantage of visiting teams going on benders before every home game. Apparently, you can train bad behavior out of dogs better than you can hockey players. Should I bother with a league whose players are less than dogs?

Because as we all know, the Stanley Cup is the easiest championship to win. Just ask all the recent Presidents’ Trophy winners. 

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the Arena Bowl, wait it's not the Arena Bowl. 

4 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

They wanted Las Vegas, sure, but did the other owners want Las Vegas to be this good right off the bat? That I'm not so sure about.

I meant the whole "getting more favourable expansion terms than any other team" deal. Sure, they went out and won their games like any other team but you can't deny they got a much bigger boost than any previous team.

There's a big difference between "favorable expansion terms" and "free Cup," though. And let's be real, the expansion terms weren't an issue until Vegas started winning a lot and frustrating fans of other teams. They were expected to suck this year like every other expansion team ever, favorable terms or not.

eBQCZAq.jpg

Greetings from America’s genital wart

6 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Vegas was supposed to be an absolute laughingstock.

Not as bad as the expansion Caps or Sharks were, but horrible; like the expansion Blue Jackets were for example.