Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

ninersdd

Winnipeg is the punchline to everybody's jokes, but whatever, it's a city where it's cold and grey and people with Eastern European names have bad seasonal depression. It's nothing I can't relate to. Certainly it's not everything wrong with Canada. That's Jordan Peterson's house.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

In any event I'm speaking hypothetically. Obviously it's not as simple as I put it, but that's the way it comes off to someone who looks into it, especially in hindsight without the context of "they're gonna suck" headlines written by hockey's "experts" of the time. If I'm an owner who paid more than $500M for a struggling dumpster fire of a team, I'm looking at the Knights and seeing what I could've gotten for as much/less money. Suddenly my team doesn't look quite so valuable; and that's why I think if there's anything that'll make the owners come for Bettman's head, it'll be the sudden devaluing of all their miserable franchises.

Maybe those owners should take a long look at their own teams' front offices instead of blaming the Golden Knights for their lack of success.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

How are the Knights getting a "free Cup"? They're earning their success on the ice like everyone else.

What did they do to earn MAF falling into their lap again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, rams80 said:

What did they do to earn MAF falling into their lap again?

Stole Twitter comedy bits from the Los Angeles Kings and Wendy's

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

All Or Nothing by JimmyLethal

Also, how the hell is Vegas worse than Phoenix? Two things: first, Vegas actually has fun things to do, and second, it isn't completely dominated by right-wing nutjobs like Phoenix is.

Fun in Vegas can only be had at the cost of a month's wages.  No thanks.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Didn't the owners have to approve the expansion draft rules?

In a salary cap world don't all teams kinda benefit from this... Vegas gets a good expansion pool 30 other teams get to unload bad contracts or avoid nightmares down the road. Plus Vegas got picks to take or not take certain players, then they traded many of those pics around the league.

Vegas helped Columbus unload Clarkson, Ottawa move Brassard & Detroit get 3 high picks for Tatar. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I've moved nothing. I've been clear since this saga began and again with the Raiders that I really don't like Las Vegas. I hate overpopulating deserts. It's tacky and a waste.

Las Vegas is pure class, my friend. 

las-vegas-weddings-packages-las-vegas-el

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, rams80 said:

Seattle's going to get the deck stacked so heavily against them in the next expansion draft they'll be trotting out ECHL players for the first five years.

For an extra $150,000,000 over what Las Vegas paid?  No way in hell.  They'll get equal terms as Vegas or there won't be an expansion team in Seattle.  Not for that kind of money.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

If it makes anyone here feel better...if the Golden Knights lose the Stanley Cup, this whole run was all for nothing.

Au contraire.

Anyone who's seeing the Knights advancing to the Cup Final is a bad thing isn't looking long term.  At the macro, league level, this couldn't have played better.  Vegas merchandise is flying off the proverbial shelves, the Cup Final's going to have better ratings in the U.S. than if it'd been Winnipeg no matter who comes out of the ECF, and during the entire course of the series the NHL can plant puff pieces and 'feel good' stories about the 'loveable castoffs' from other teams that are vying to hoist the greatest trophy in all of sports hockey.  It's a PR bonanza; one that immediately shores up Vegas as a market for the next five years, win or lose the cup, and no matter what they do going forward.

nav-logo.png

43 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Las Vegas is pure class, my friend. 

las-vegas-weddings-packages-las-vegas-el

How does one not love that? But seriously, Las Vegas isn’t just the strip. The tacky levels drop immensely just a few streets over.

On a different note the OldTakesExposed Twitter interactions are fantastic. Maybe it’s the enlightened ones on here that saw this coming, but almost everyone else had the Knights in the toilet. Lots of Fleury doubters as well.

Ya know I never watched or cared much for hockey until I saw vagas do somewhat good at the beginning of the year. Now I’ve tried to watch as many of their games as possible. Y’all forget to realize how many views this is bringing in. Yeah I get it it’s an expansion team. But it matters as much as when loyola made it to The final four. So shut your traps and stop acting like this is ruining the league. At this rate you guys won’t be playing fourth string to the American viewers. Tbh I thought the MLS would gain more attraction that this league by now. THIS IS A GOOD THING. GO VEGAS

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

53 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

For an extra $150,000,000 over what Las Vegas paid?  No way in hell.  They'll get equal terms as Vegas or there won't be an expansion team in Seattle.  Not for that kind of money.

*Glances at Cleveland Browns*

You sure about that Mac?

53 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Au contraire.

Anyone who's seeing the Knights advancing to the Cup Final is a bad thing isn't looking long term.  At the macro, league level, this couldn't have played better.  Vegas merchandise is flying off the proverbial shelves, the Cup Final's going to have better ratings in the U.S. than if it'd been Winnipeg no matter who comes out of the ECF, and during the entire course of the series the NHL can plant puff pieces and 'feel good' stories about the 'loveable castoffs' from other teams that are vying to hoist the greatest trophy in all of sports hockey.  It's a PR bonanza; one that immediately shores up Vegas as a market for the next five years, win or lose the cup, and no matter what they do going forward.

I'd like to think this league is thinking in longer terms than 5 years.

Today, we are all otaku.

3 hours ago, Guy with Machete said:

The Cinderella story continues.

"Cinderella story" implies that the franchise experienced some sort of hardship in its past. Considering I have a jar of pickles in my refrigerator older than this franchise, the Knights cannot qualify as a "cinderella story."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a refrigerator to clean out after which I will resume the Sharks' Fan's greatest past-time:

giphy.gif

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

1 hour ago, Mac the Knife said:

'feel good' stories about the 'loveable castoffs' from other teams

America's Sweetheart Ryan Reaves

Yeah, I'm sure.  Seattle gets the same terms as Vegas, at minimum.  $650 million isn't going to buy a 10-year doormat.  They won't get a cup in the first year, but they'll have similar expansion draft opportunities.

Vegas gets sellouts for 5 years off of this inaugural season, no matter how bad the team is.  They'll just have to carry their own water from that point is all.

nav-logo.png

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Ya know I never watched or cared much for hockey until I saw vagas do somewhat good at the beginning of the year. Now I’ve tried to watch as many of their games as possible. Y’all forget to realize how many views this is bringing in. Yeah I get it it’s an expansion team. But it matters as much as when loyola made it to The final four. So shut your traps and stop acting like this is ruining the league. At this rate you guys won’t be playing fourth string to the American viewers. Tbh I thought the MLS would gain more attraction that this league by now. THIS IS A GOOD THING. GO VEGAS

mod deleted

Archived