ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

1 minute ago, Crabcake47 said:

Also, so so glad that Ovi actually touched the freaking trophy. Superstitions are dumb. Enjoy the moment for God’s sake. 

Caps are one of the most snakebitten franchises in The League, so they really didn't have anything to lose :lol:  

6 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

This is amazing. So freaking happy for Ovechkin and the boys. I think that choker label has well and truly been vanquished.

Not yet.

It will be vanquished when Ovechkin raises Lord Stanley. The labeling will continue like crazy, if he and his Capitals get beat by an expansion team.

I've been pretty mellow on the Vegas thing, but now that the Caps are in, I say to HELL WITH THE GOLDEN KNIGHTS! 

14 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Dd7i7OlU8AAonp_.jpg

That’s beautiful

13 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Not yet.

It will be vanquished when Ovechkin raises Lord Stanley. The labeling will continue like crazy, if he and his Capitals get beat by an expansion team.

I beg to differ. First of all, as mentioned before, this ain’t your daddy’s expansion team. Vegas is a different beast - great coach, great keeper, super deep. 

Second of all, what the Caps did this postseason imo covers all their bases in terms of choking. Down 2-0 in the first round after two home L’s? Win the next four. Lose a heartbreaking Game 1 to the Pens and immediately have the “here we go again” thoughts start? Win four of the next five. Blow a 2-0 lead in a series? Win it in 7. This team showed fight, heart, and mental strength that hasn’t been seen in a Rock the Red-era Caps team. They remind me a lot of the ‘16 Sharks. People generally don’t call the Sharks chokers anymore iirc. 

After all this time, Ovi and the Caps FINALLY get over the hump. What an awesome story and what a great thing to witness. You could really see the emotion in Ovechkin’s face. It was really touching to see. 

And, after all that, they’re going to get OITGDNHL’d so hard and get completely killed by a god damn expansion team. 

5 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I beg to differ. First of all, as mentioned before, this ain’t your daddy’s expansion team. Vegas is a different beast - great coach, great keeper, super deep. 

Second of all, what the Caps did this postseason imo covers all their bases in terms of choking. Down 2-0 in the first round after two home L’s? Win the next four. Lose a heartbreaking Game 1 to the Pens and immediately have the “here we go again” thoughts start? Win four of the next five. Blow a 2-0 lead in a series? Win it in 7. This team showed fight, heart, and mental strength that hasn’t been seen in a Rock the Red-era Caps team. They remind me a lot of the ‘16 Sharks. People generally don’t call the Sharks chokers anymore iirc. 

Pretty much. 

Personally I had whatever team coming out of The West winning The Cup no matter who won in The East. 

Here's the annual graphic about touching the conference champoinship trophies. (click a bunch of times to expand)

QFFGTiB.png

So Eric Lindros kicked that whole stupid tradition off, huh? 

Figures. 

14 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I will say that the Caps played a complete game. Like Vegas, every line played their best hockey, when they needed to.

As far as the Sharks are concerned, no offence but I still hear examples of them being defined by failure. As far as the Capitals are concerned, if they play like they've been doing, it will be harder to define them as "chokers" or "failures", in the event they do come up short to Vegas. However, my opinion about that is subjective, I'll leave that up to everyone else to decide what the Capitals legacy will be if they lose the Cup.

39 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Let’s not forget that the Caps were in double OT of a Game 3 they absolutely had to win or this never happens. 

They had to kill a penalty. Columbus had a power play and IIRC they hit a goalpost.

10 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

So Eric Lindros kicked that whole stupid tradition off, huh? 

Figures. 

It didn’t even work! The first team to not touch it and win was Tampa in 2004! I’m all for fun and silly superstitions/traditions but god this one is dumb.

Guess we're about to learn that it wasn't that the Capitals have a Penguins problem but rather that it's that the Capitals have a MAF problem, huh?

Speaking of MAF, with the season he's had, cup or not this year is he a HoF'er? 

I think a cup this year would make him a 100% lock (if he wasn't already), but probably not a 1st ballot.  

7 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

They had to kill a penalty. Columbus had a power play and IIRC they hit a goalpost.

I have no idea tbh, I went to bed after regulation that day and found out when I woke up, fully expecting to be down 3-0. 

7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Speaking of MAF, with the season he's had, cup or not this year is he a HoF'er? 

I think a cup this year would make him a 100% lock (if he wasn't already), but probably not a 1st ballot.  

Not a chance. For me, he's in the hall of very good. 

8 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Was game 3 the one where the Jackets hit, like, four posts? Yeah, I'm gonna go pour myself a stronger drink.

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Here's the annual graphic about touching the conference champoinship trophies. (click a bunch of times to expand)

QFFGTiB.png

This is cool. And well done.

But the 98 Caps should be in blue!

Heart says Washington in 6.

Gut says Vegas in 6.

I'm happy to see Ovi finally get his shot at hoisting the Cup; and I hope he does get that chance.