ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

On 5/24/2018 at 7:53 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

Hopefully, with both teams doing that, something that hasn't happened since 2002 (thanks, @McCarthy), this can be the start of a new trend of teams picking up the trophies once more. Only hockey could have a "tradition" that caught on like wildfire where the original player and team to do it, Eric Lindros and the '97 Flyers, got swept in the Final. Not sure how that made one ounce of sense.

Yeah, I never understood the "don't touch the conference trophy" trend. It should've started and ended with Lindros. THE TEAM GOT SWEPT! I always thought this was a dumb tradition. 

The first 5 captains to pull the no-touch move lost the finals! It should've ended forever after the 03 Ducks. What's weirder is Hatcher and Stevens both tried it after winning the cup in years when they embraced the trophy. They both lost those finals. 

I like not lifting the conference trophies because I don't like that there are conferences.

42 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I like not lifting the conference trophies because I don't like that there are conferences.

You're itching for the Canucks to play the Panthers in the first round of the playoffs?

I was thinking more of the four floating divisions with the third round reseed that was planned before the Red Wings made poo-poo diapers over it.

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I was thinking more of the four floating divisions with the third round reseed that was planned before the Red Wings made poo-poo diapers over it.

I would love to see this as well. Now that the league is back to four divisions and they're emphasizing the divisional playoff matchups, let's take the next logical step. Get rid of West/East and reseed the third round so it's 1v4, and 2v3 based on regular season point total. 

It seems like just the other day, when I headed up to a friend's cottage for a guys' weekend. Had some family stuff to take care of, so I got there a little late. The rest of the guys were already passed out (what a bunch of wusses), so I poured myself a good scotch, settled in front of the T.V., and checked to see if the Golden Knights home opener was on the tube... Luckily, it was.

Opening night was shortly after the Las Vegas shooting tragedy and I was interested in seeing how the team handled this event. (I'm sure you all remember how they completely botched the name reveal )...

I guess I was expecting a train wreck, but instead I was treated to a very classy and moving ceremony. They hit it out of the park. Deryk Engelland stepped up to the mic and delivered an incredible speech...Made me proud to be a puck-head....https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/deryk-engelland-this-is-for-las-vegas

Can't wait to see what little show The Knights are going to put on for The Capitals before the game. 

2 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Can't wait to see what little show The Knights are going to put on for The Capitals before the game. 

Maybe their Golden Knight slaying all 26 capital letters of the alphabet with his sword?

10 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I remember Mario Lemieux hoisting the Prince of Wales Trophy in 1991. Pens won.

Yeah, but didn't they face a plucky (and overmatched) North Stars team? It's not like touching the trophy was going to hurt them...

It's still incredibly ironic how the Capitals have this ALL CAPS catchphrase for these playoffs, but yet they're the only team who has a script of the team name in their logo in all lowercase letters. It's kinda like the Winnipeg Whiteout where everyone's wearing white expect the players on the ice.

17 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I remember Mario Lemieux hoisting the Prince of Wales Trophy in 1991. Pens won.

Prior to Lindros in 1997 every team hoisted the conference championship trophy. Exactly half went on to win the cup and half lost. 

7 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Maybe their Golden Knight slaying all 26 capital letters of the alphabet with his sword?

Or they have a bunch of obscure state capitals like Montpelier, Carson City, and Helena and the knight takes them all down one by one. 

8 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

He destroys D.C. in the style of Independence Day. The crowd cheers. 

On 5/20/2018 at 9:54 PM, habsfan1 said:

People using "dad" when referring to their pets is a weird trend I'd be okay with ending

I get a chance to watch my team compete for a Stanley Cup. I feel very fortunate, nervous, and glad for Ovechkin that he’s silenced a lot of his doubters with what will surely be a Conn Smythe postseason if the Caps win. 

That being said, I’m keeping my expectations low. The Caps got swept the last time they were here; just win a game, boys. At least let us have that. 

I fully predict that Fleury will be too much for the Caps to handle and that Vegas will win every game 1-0. 

In all seriousness, I think Vegas in 6. MAF is looking ridiculous now and Vegas has a lot of belief in them. Despite all the arguments for the “rigged” expansion draft Gallant has them playing above the sum of their parts. 

Either way it’s gonna be a great storyline and it’s been a great season from my Caps. Provided they don’t get swept or lose games they should win, they and all of Caps nation can hold their heads high after a postseason, for once. Go Caps. 

EDIT: Plus I get to watch Dubs-Rockets during the intermissions.  Good stuff.

JUST START THE DAMN GAME!!