ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

This prediction I made in January has a good chance of coming true, after all.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:29 PM, habsfan1 said:

This june, there will be a Stanley Cup Parade on the Vegas Strip. Screencap this.

This was an epic game and a great way to start the Cup Finals. There's no way anyone can convince me that this Vegas team is bad for the league.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lights Out said:

There's no way anyone can convince me that this Vegas team is bad for the league.

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discussing the merits of the 2018 NHL Playoffs, as opposed to baiting our fellow CCSLC members. Thank you.

Edited by Brian in Boston

14 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

This was an epic game and a great way to start the Cup Finals. There's no way anyone can convince me that this Vegas team is bad for the league.

That was everything the NBA is not- unpredictable, different, variety, fresh.

Give me Vegas/Ovechkin over another joyless CLE/GSW rerun.

I'm so angry about Cleveland/Golden State part infinity that I honestly don't care if an expansion team wins a Cup.

It's a great refreshingly DIFFERENT story, unlike the National Bron Association.

So these two leagues have totally different issues that cause the same problems. The NBA has zero parity and it’s caused some stagnation, people don’t wanna take it seriously and don’t wanna watch. On the other end, the NHL has levels of parity that are absolutey off the charts and it’s so overblown that it makes the league a God damn joke, people don’t want to take it seriously and nobody wants to watch. 

I dont know about you guys, but I’ll take too little parity over too much parity any day of the week, because the alternative is flat out EMBARRASSING. People want to say that the NBA regular season is useless because it’s the same two teams, but it’s the regular season that helps to at least flesh out who the top teams are. The NHL has it set up so half the league makes the playoffs, low seeds get hot and cruise to the finals, and now a God damn expansion team is three games from a title. In that case, you might as well not waste six months of people’s time and slot every team into an NCAA style tournament and just go from there. 

If this Vegas team wins the cup, I’m am legitimately never wasting a single second of my time with this trash exhibition, because it’s no longer a worthwhile sport. It’s a joke. Figure skating is more legitimate. It’s a garbage sideshow you would’ve seen in Vegas before this year, but nobody would deign themselves to pay to watch that festering pile of landfill.

Yeah - one league's dominated by two teams pretty thoroughly right now, but guess what? It's the league people actually want to watch, because that league's teams are driven/carried by their big, heavily-marketed stars, and said stars can actually make it to the championship finals. One of the NHL's two biggest stars just made the Finals for the first time ever, after 12 attempts, and his team's likely to be eliminated by a team that didn't even exist last season! The other star just made it to back-to-back finals... after his team was eliminated early in the 5 previous to that. Compare that to the NBA, where the league's 2 biggest names will meet in the Finals for the 4th year in a row, yet TV ratings, attendance & merch sales seem to suggest this is exactly what their audience wants.

What I'm learning is that, no matter how much individual people or smaller groups complain about dynasties and the lack of parity, and the same teams winning every year, in the wider country it's the opposite - fans like to get behind consistent, proven winners, who can dominate the league and win titles with ease, year after year... So on that note, for better and for worse, if they keep it up the NHL's team of the future may very well be the Las Vegas Knights.

Assuming the NHL can market them properly, along with avoiding a lockout in 2020. (lol)

10 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I dont know about you guys, but I’ll take too little parity over too much parity any day of the week, because the alternative is flat out EMBARRASSING. People want to say that the NBA regular season is useless because it’s the same two teams, but it’s the regular season that helps to at least flesh out who the top teams are. The NHL has it set up so half the league makes the playoffs, low seeds get hot and cruise to the finals, and now a God damn expansion team is three games from a title. In that case, you might as well not waste six months of people’s time and slot every team into an NCAA style tournament and just go from there. 

I am 100% in the opposite camp. Variety is what makes things interesting. 

The NBA is so :censored:ing boring with the exact same rerun Finals for the 4th straight year. It’s bad enough when 1 team is dominant and makes consecutive appearances but both? The hell is the point in watching? Especially since people this outcome day 1....of 2016. None of the teams of matter outside of 2 have mattered since like, 2014. 

On The other hand no one know what to expect with the Cup playoffs. Yeah Penguins were in it and had a chance of 3-peating, but it didn’t seem obvious or even inevitable like Cavs-Warriors Final did.

it’s far more embarrassing to see a :censored:ing lottery team make the championship solely because of one generational talent on the team. 

Vegas doesn’t seem so bad compared to the joke Lebron turned the NBA into. 

36 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

The NHL has it set up so half the league makes the playoffs

The same number of teams make it to the NBA playoffs, so I'm not sure this is a good comparison point.

Also, I'm still loving all the chaos. 

Yeah but the 8th seed in the NBA isn’t ever going to win a title. They’ve reached the finals ONCE, and that was in a lockout-shortened season. 

Let's be honest- even Pittsburgh's back to back Cup wins were more unpredictable than predictable.

The kicker is that this season of the NHL has been one of the least chaotic in recent history - the favourites won 7/8 series in the first round, and both teams in the Finals at least won their division. Had the playoffs been conference-based, we'd be seeing two #2 seeds in the Finals. Last year a divisional runner-up beat a wild card team for their 2nd straight Cup, and the year before they beat a divisional 3rd-place team from the same spot!

5 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

So these two leagues have totally different issues that cause the same problems. The NBA has zero parity and it’s caused some stagnation, people don’t wanna take it seriously and don’t wanna watch. On the other end, the NHL has levels of parity that are absolutey off the charts and it’s so overblown that it makes the league a God damn joke, people don’t want to take it seriously and nobody wants to watch.

I've always said that the NHL needs its central planning to correct for its game's inherent randomness (e.g., a team salary range wider than a bug's butthole, calling penalties) while the NBA needs to create it (e.g, completely unweighted lottery for all 14 picks) for what its game lacks. 

7 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

If this Vegas team wins the cup, I’m am legitimately never wasting a single second of my time with this... sport.

That would be great, then you wouldn't have to post on this side anymore, trying to convince yourself that the NBA's product is a better sport. It's just not.

It doesn't seem to matter how well your team is coached, or how hard you play, or how good of a system you have...in the NBA, if you don't have a top 5 star; you're pretty much toast. Hardly a definition of what a team sport should be about. The regular season is just filler. If you're in the east, the travellin' Lebron show will prevail. It is written. If the NBA was a restaurant it would be the kind that has the perfect decor, hip waiters (as opposed to hip waders :lol:) who'll sing you happy birthday while you wear a silly hat, free balloons for the kids, etc...but the food is crap! The NBA's ridiculous refereeing turns its game into something very questionable and dishonest. What the NBA is truly good at however, is telling us all how great their product is...ad nauseam. Sometimes I think that NBA fans are people that like shiny things...or they're all 12 years old. Obviously you're not watching the hockey, because the NHL playoffs have been fantastic this year. The opening game of the SCF last night was exceptional...way better than watching the Rockets choke themselves into elimination.

So, it's the Cavs-Warriors again, eh?... yawn. 

Yes, the NBA gets better TV numbers, but "a lot of numbers" doesn't define the "goodness" of anything...MOD EDIT: Please, don'y insert politics into this thread.

MOD EDIT: Let's refrain from taking personal shots at one another, please.

He's a Sharks fan and I don't know him to be a "big bad baller."

Posted (edited)

MOD EDIT: Please stick to discussing the merits of the 2018 NHL Playoffs, as opposed to those of your fellow CCSLC members. Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Yeah for those who haven’t caught on yet, this is half schtick. But only half. I do genuinely think this league is unwatchable garbage. But that’s been the case for years now. This current run just confirms that. 

Also, look at the ratings between the NBA and NHL and tell me that stupid little fly-by-night niche slideypuck game league is better. Hockey fans are absolutely delusional.

MOD EDIT

It's not unwatchable, but it's getting there. Shift-shortening is hurting quality of play more than Mike Keenan ever could have imagined but it's almost impossible to legislate out. You can't set up a quality scoring chance if you're jumping off the ice almost as soon as you're jumping on.

Washington's going to regret their sloppy play in Game 1. Mark my words.

Calm down. Just because Vegas is good doesn’t mean the NHL is a joke. It just means that Vegas is good. Whether by luck or by skill, the Golden Knights deserve to be where they are. Kudos to them.

In addition, to those saying Vegas is not a hockey city, come visit. I’m in Vegas visiting family and holy :censored: is it hockey central. Everyone in VGK gear, the words “Go Knights Go” coming from every mouth in the city. Even before they started winning it was like this. It’s not a case like Arizona where no one could care less about the team, it’s a case like Montreal, where the team represents the city.

Stop giving Vegas so much :censored:. They deserve to be where they’re at.