ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

everyone thought Vegas was gonna be poo.  After their "totally unfair" expansion draft last year did anyone on here say OH man that team is stacked!  At best maybeee you woulda thought they'd flirt with the playoffs.  They deserve a ton of credit for the beast that they've created.  This isn't a decent team that is luckboxing their way to a title, they are legitimately the best team in the league (except maybe the Caps, fingers crossed).  I'm sorry that a team in the desert is better at hockey than yours, truly I am.  But hey, at least its not Raleigh :)

Washington was able to do something really only San Jose was able to do once, really chase Fleury. All goals were on Even Strength, something that before; Fleury was able to stop.

I mean, Holtby was really mortal (5 Goals, 1 on PP); but both goalies had a shaky Game 1. Game 2 should be interesting to see how both goalies react to the blitzkrieg that was Game 1.

17 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

In addition, to those saying Vegas is not a hockey city, come visit. I’m in Vegas visiting family and holy :censored: is it hockey central. Everyone in VGK gear, the words “Go Knights Go” coming from every mouth in the city. Even before they started winning it was like this. It’s not a case like Arizona where no one could care less about the team, it’s a case like Montreal, where the team represents the city.

Talk about calming down. 

It's getting increasingly "chippy" in here, folks. Let's stick to discussing the merits of the 2018 NHL Playoffs and, further, refrain from taking snarky personal shots at one another while doing so. 

Thank you. 

I want the Wild to move to Seattle.  They can change their name to...well anything's an improvement.

Then in a few years, I want Minnesota to get an expansion team with the same expansion draft parameters.  It'll be the most successful season in Minnesota NHL history.  They won't actually win the cup because Minnesota, but they may be better than mediocre.  And the opportunity for a non-embarrassing name is icing on the cake.

35 minutes ago, insert name said:

I like the name "Wild". 

MOD EDIT

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

MOD EDIT: Let's stick to discussing the merits of the 2018 NHL Playoffs, as opposed to baiting our fellow CCSLC members. Thank you.

Yeah, Curt! 

2 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Calm down. Just because Vegas is good doesn’t mean the NHL is a joke. It just means that Vegas is good. Whether by luck or by skill, the Golden Knights deserve to be where they are. Kudos to them.

If it is by luck, then by definition, they don't deserve to be there.

In addition, to those saying Vegas is not a hockey city, come visit. I’m in Vegas visiting family and holy :censored: is it hockey central. Everyone in VGK gear, the words “Go Knights Go” coming from every mouth in the city. Even before they started winning it was like this.

Since the Knights came out of the gate swinging, and winning from the opener, this claim is baseless and flat out false.

It’s not a case like Arizona where no one could care less about the team, it’s a case like Montreal, where the team represents the city.

*couldn't care less

Stop giving Vegas so much :censored:. They deserve to be where they’re at.

Deserve? Really? Based on what, all those off-season signings and trades they made? (Oh wait there weren't any) Their trade deadline moves? (Only one, and not for a piece in this playoffs) The years of talent and prospect development? (Again, no. They were in the bottom 5 for call ups/send downs)

They deserve a little credit for working within the draft, but every team had second liners exposed. Yes they played the games, but this is a team without a true bottom line of forwards or defensemen.

Almost everything that Las Vegas did to succeed happened within the confines of the expansion draft. A draft they paid $500 million to get such good conditions in.

As I see it, the owners essentially sold the Cup to Foley, and all for the low price of 16 and a half million per person.

6 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah, Curt! 

Encouraging, not baiting. If anything, Vegas Golden Knights "America's Team" doing the baiting here, especially if they win the next 3! 

29 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Encouraging, not baiting. If anything, Vegas Golden Knights "America's Team" doing the baiting here, especially if they win the next 3! 

No idea what you said, but cursory review of the internet tells me they are, for the time being, America's Team.

The only thing I hate worse than the fact that they're going to win the Cup is that this is turning out to be good for the league.  It should be bad.  It really should.  

3 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

everyone thought Vegas was gonna be poo.  After their "totally unfair" expansion draft last year did anyone on here say OH man that team is stacked!  At best maybeee you woulda thought they'd flirt with the playoffs.  They deserve a ton of credit for the beast that they've created.  This isn't a decent team that is luckboxing their way to a title, they are legitimately the best team in the league (except maybe the Caps, fingers crossed).  I'm sorry that a team in the desert is better at hockey than yours, truly I am.  But hey, at least its not Raleigh :)

TBH I'm not concerned with what a bunch of pundits & sportswriters thought in September. If they couldn't see that a team backed by Marc-Andre Fleury was gonna at least challenge for a playoff spot, that's on them. If anything it's more proof in my eyes that hockey's outside "experts" are anything but.

If anything this whole :censored:-show might bring a shake-up the league sorely needs. Regardless of how it was done, an expansion team coasting to the Finals immediately, on the backs of every other teams' rejects, is bad optics for the league, at least in my opinion. (I told a baseball fan what was going on in hockey the other day, and he literally told me "wow, that's :censored: stupid.") I know the NHL doesn't care much about optics, but still - at the very least, clearly the standards for player scouting have fallen if almost every single team let such a good player go for nothing. Evidently teams need to reexamine what makes a good hockey player. And again, if the experts looking in couldn't see this coming even a little bit, maybe the sport needs better experts. (Hell, I know it does - among NBC's analysts are one of the league's all-time worst coaches and the worst GM in league history. Almost anyone would be better than those clowns!)

Let's just wait to see what happens when McPhee has to actually develop his own talent and not trot out talent that 30 other organizations developed for him.  Oh, and having to accomplish this with his talent developed by an independently owned and operated AHL affiliate that historically blows off the needs of its parent club.

McPhee never finished the job in DC, but I'd say he developed a good amount of talent.  Lets not act like he's just some schlub.

I think he's doing pretty good so far.  Not sure how he could be doing better for Vegas.  

Seattle's expansion draft may have the same parameters as the Knights, but GM's will have wised up by then. I anticipate far fewer deals to protect guys and more "here just take our best available player. It's not worth it to lose a good player and lose picks". If they're lucky they could score a William Karlsson who massively overachieves his career numbers. 

Still though, they'll be pretty good if they fill out the lineup with depth by getting every team's 9th best player and they can find a serviceable goaltender, which is why the Knights are good. 

One thing's for sure, the Seattle Hockey Pucks will have the highest expectations going into year 1 that any expansion team has ever been forced to deal with. 

4 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

McPhee never finished the job in DC, but I'd say he developed a good amount of talent.  Lets not act like he's just some schlub.

I think he's doing pretty good so far.  Not sure how he could be doing better for Vegas.  

My point is that all of the irrational praise for the organization is because they started out with a team of fully developed players.  Once they have to replace free agents with internal options that will be "developed" by the Wolves we'll get a much better gauge of if this season was a complete fluke or not.

So if The Seattle team ends up being bad, having the same expansion rules as Vegas, was Vegas still "gifted" a championship calibre team? 

18 minutes ago, LMU said:

Let's just wait to see what happens when McPhee has to actually develop his own talent and not trot out talent that 30 other organizations developed for him.  Oh, and having to accomplish this with his talent developed by an independently owned and operated AHL affiliate that historically blows off the needs of its parent club.

Chicago really is AHL's version of the 51s. A tad apropos.

10 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

So if The Seattle team ends up being bad, having the same expansion rules as Vegas, was Vegas still "gifted" a championship calibre team? 

Mostly. It may hurt the argument, but Seattle will have a smaller, less deep talent pool in the draft; 25 or so GMs who have woken the :censored: up, to take this thing more seriously; also, its unlikely they get a MAF-caliber goalie.

Almost no chance they're Las Vegas level good, but they should still be competitive. The Knights draft was kind of a perfect storm of greed, incompetence, timing, and carelessness.

Edit: gifted is the wrong word. $500 million is a lot of money. Foley bought it. If Toronto had known that was the going rate, they probably could have crowd-funded a go :censored: mn Cup.

Its a shame to see such hate towards a great story simply because others feel this team doesn't "deserve" this success, or because their team was awful for their first few season after expansion, or because they're in the desert, or because the Penguins dumped MAF, or because... or because... or because...

People in this community were killing this franchise before they even had a name. "How DARE the NHL go to Las Vegas and not Quebec. Why does Bettman love the desert?!"... "Vegas? Not Las Vegas? Dumb!"... "Golden Knights? Foley's Army boner is a disgrace"... "That logo looks like a spartan helmet, not a knights helmet... never mind the "V"... Dumb!"... "This team is a dumpster fire and i'm gonna love watching it"...

There are members of this community that have not wanted to give this a franchise a chance since it was announced, and now that they've defied the odds, well, now it has to be the expansion draft that no one complained about before or during the proceedings, or even until the All-Star break, when it became apparent that Vegas wasn't going away

I remember being this miserable as a sports fan, and it was a cancer. I hope someday some here in this community can let go of some of their misery and be happy for these players, and these fans, and just enjoy the fun that this game is, and enjoy the fun that this story is.