ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

No hearing for Tom Wilson blindsiding Jonathan Marchessault seven feet away from the puck.

Good league, great league.

Speaking only for myself, this is not about Vegas.  This is not about my own terrible team...I cheer for four of the ten worst-run teams in the Big 4 and that's not the Knights' or the NHL's fault.  Vegas is a huge city and it was only going to be a matter of time before they got a team.  There's a little irony that it was a hockey team (desert and all), but whatever.  I don't like the "Vegas" but that doesn't prompt any cheering for or against.

For me it's simply unsettling to see a first year expansion team win a championship.  It would not matter if it was Seattle, Quebec, or Minnesota.*  Starting a team from scratch is supposed to take at least some time.  I guess you can accuse me of idealizing or whatever, but to have it fall from the sky before a fanbase is even really used to having the sport?  That's not how it's "supposed to" go.  Is that explanation weak?  So be it.

*Minnesota.  Where I'm from. Where we never win.  Had the Wild had an inaugural season like Vegas's would I be cheering for it?  Yes. Just like I cheered for the Timberwolves to win games as I sat through their more typical inaugural season.  But I can honestly say there'd be something a little unsettling about it.  A little impure. And if I had the choice between them winning year 1 or year 5, I'd take year 5 in a heartbeat.

So if Quebec finally gets that team, I will not want to see this happen again.

I think what Vegas has done is create, in essence, the sports equal to what I have dubbed 'The MK2 Effect'.

What is that? Well, as a gamer, when a game does well, it warrants a sequel. Such was the case for Mortal Kombat. When the sequel came out, it was far bigger, better and badder then the original. The bar was set... problem was that any sequel after this game would have to not only reach the bar, but go over it. The sequels after 2 would fall short time and time again. It wasn't until MK9 where the game and the series got over that bar.

What does this have to do with Vegas? Well, the Golden Knights are setting the bar so high for the next expansion team in the NHL that it's nearly impossible to clear the bar save for, I don't know, winning the President's Trophy or going 82-0-0.

VGK will have to replace Agumon with Goro for their mascot duties in year 2

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

No hearing for Tom Wilson blindsiding Jonathan Marchessault seven feet away from the puck.

As much as I want to hate Tom Wilson, I can’t help but like the guy. Watching him play is like watching a roller coaster that’s about to run right off the tracks, absolutely terrifying and dangerous but also a tad bit exciting.

The complete lack of common sense is one of the main reasons I enjoy the NHL so much. Like Mockba has said a few times, I enjoy watching the chaos this league seems to breed.

There's no excitement in Tom Wilson's game, just recklessness and malice. He's only there to endanger people. He's a piece of crap the same way Raffi Torres was.

17 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Yeah - one league's dominated by two teams pretty thoroughly right now, but guess what? It's the league people actually want to watch, because that league's teams are driven/carried by their big, heavily-marketed stars, and said stars can actually make it to the championship finals. One of the NHL's two biggest stars just made the Finals for the first time ever, after 12 attempts, and his team's likely to be eliminated by a team that didn't even exist last season! The other star just made it to back-to-back finals... after his team was eliminated early in the 5 previous to that. Compare that to the NBA, where the league's 2 biggest names will meet in the Finals for the 4th year in a row, yet TV ratings, attendance & merch sales seem to suggest this is exactly what their audience wants.

What I'm learning is that, no matter how much individual people or smaller groups complain about dynasties and the lack of parity, and the same teams winning every year, in the wider country it's the opposite - fans like to get behind consistent, proven winners, who can dominate the league and win titles with ease, year after year... So on that note, for better and for worse, if they keep it up the NHL's team of the future may very well be the Las Vegas Knights.

Assuming the NHL can market them properly, along with avoiding a lockout in 2020. (lol)

Let's be real: arguably the biggest reason why the NBA is the league people want to watch is because it isn't run by an absolute clown who cost them their TV deal with ESPN, presided over three lockouts and has no clue how to market his product. As long as Bettman is in charge, the NHL will always be a largely regional niche sport. That wouldn't change even if Vegas won the next ten Cups.

The NFL towers over both leagues because they do such a great job of selling the illusion of parity and "any given Sunday." March Madness is wildly popular because of all the upsets and craziness. Parity is very popular if you can promote it correctly.

6 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Speaking only for myself, this is not about Vegas.  This is not about my own terrible team...I cheer for four of the ten worst-run teams in the Big 4 and that's not the Knights' or the NHL's fault.  Vegas is a huge city and it was only going to be a matter of time before they got a team.  There's a little irony that it was a hockey team (desert and all), but whatever.  I don't like the "Vegas" but that doesn't prompt any cheering for or against.

For me it's simply unsettling to see a first year expansion team win a championship.  It would not matter if it was Seattle, Quebec, or Minnesota.*  Starting a team from scratch is supposed to take at least some time.  I guess you can accuse me of idealizing or whatever, but to have it fall from the sky before a fanbase is even really used to having the sport?  That's not how it's "supposed to" go.  Is that explanation weak?  So be it.

*Minnesota.  Where I'm from. Where we never win.  Had the Wild had an inaugural season like Vegas's would I be cheering for it?  Yes. Just like I cheered for the Timberwolves to win games as I sat through their more typical inaugural season.  But I can honestly say there'd be something a little unsettling about it.  A little impure. And if I had the choice between them winning year 1 or year 5, I'd take year 5 in a heartbeat.

So if Quebec finally gets that team, I will not want to see this happen again.

I’m not gonna call your explanation weak. That’s how you feel and I respect that, but I will say I don’t understand. I don’t believe in the “waiting period” for success in sports. I have to think every team wanted be great from day 1, but unfortunately things don’t normally work out like that. Which I feel is a far cry from it didn’t happen because it wasn’t “supposed” to.

As a die hard Clippers fan I don’t appreciate the constant state of mediocrity that franchise lives in, and if I could start it all over I wouldn’t wait for year 5 like you suggested. That doesn’t make any sense to me. Why would anyone shoot for failure to reach some sadness quota before trying to be good? Sports has conditioned us to think it’s not supposed to happen so fast, but I don’t think that should be law.

I’m a Knights fan, and I’m not going to apologize for this team having a unicorn of a season. I know the draft was favorable, but who knew they’d end up here? I feel for cities that have had teams longer and haven’t had this success, but I’m happy I may not have to feel that pain for the immediate future. A title in year 1 is just a sweet as a title after a 20+ year drought. It’s a title for crying out loud.

You could argue it would mean more after a losing period, but suggesting that be a requirement doesn’t hold water. It’s an archaic fan concept like a player playing for the same team because loyalty.

15 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Let's be real: arguably the biggest reason why the NBA is the league people want to watch is because it isn't run by an absolute clown who cost them their TV deal with ESPN, presided over three lockouts and has no clue how to market his product. As long as Bettman is in charge, the NHL will always be a largely regional niche sport. That wouldn't change even if Vegas won the next ten Cups.

The NFL towers over both leagues because they do such a great job of selling the illusion of parity and "any given Sunday." March Madness is wildly popular because of all the upsets and craziness. Parity is very popular if you can promote it correctly.

When will people understand that Bettman isn't some dictator who is the only one making decisions, he does what the owners tell him to do just like John Ziegler and Clarence Campbell did. The NHL left ESPN because Comcast offered them more money to be on OLN\Versus\NBCSN, the NHL did the same thing in the early 80's when they left USA Network for ESPN and in the late 80's when they left ESPN for Sports Channel America.

ESPN was going to cancel the NHL or bring them back at a pittance because Mark Shapiro had a ton of power in 2004 (ESPN Original Entertainment, baby!) and hockey disgusted him, this special little boy.

While it's true that NHL's real power lies with Jeremy Jacobs and MLSE (and previously Ed Snider, Peter Karmanos, and Mike Ilitch), comparing Gary Bettman straight-up to John Ziegler ignores that Bettman was brought in to centralize the league's power structure and work more aggressively than Ziegler did.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

ESPN was going to cancel the NHL or bring them back at a pittance because Mark Shapiro had a ton of power in 2004 (ESPN Original Entertainment, baby!) and hockey disgusted him, this special little boy.

While it's true that NHL's real power lies with Jeremy Jacobs and MLSE (and previously Ed Snider, Peter Karmanos, and Mike Ilitch), comparing Gary Bettman straight-up to John Ziegler ignores that Bettman was brought in to centralize the league's power structure and work more aggressively than Ziegler did.

What is your avatar from? The guy mouthing looks awfully familiar and it's ticking me off that I can't place it. 

The lack of self awareness is staggering.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:43 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

I do love the hilarity of Ryan :censored:ing Reaves being one of the ones to call him out.

4 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

What is your avatar from? The guy mouthing looks awfully familiar and it's ticking me off that I can't place it. 

around 2:45

Is it the Stanley Cup Final, or is it Wrestlemania?

Yeah, the Knights are real misfits alright, total underdogs; that's how they've won 60 games this season & playoffs with ease, right? 😒

2 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Yeah, the Knights are real misfits alright, total underdogs; that's how they've won 60 games this season & playoffs with ease, right? 😒

They went winless last season, give them a break

Good job Oshie