ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

Interestingly, this spring had the fewest overtime games (10) since 2000 (9). And 5 of this year’s OT games involved the Caps.

First Time since 1997 we had no overtime games in the conference finals/Cup Finals.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I'm as happy for the Capitals and Ovechkin as I've ever been for any team to win the cup. I'm happy for Barry Trotz as well who told my parents in a Pittsburgh CVS in March that he didn't want to play the Blue Jackets in the playoffs and according to my mom gave a 20 to a homeless guy. 100% true story.

It doesn't really make sense that this was the team to finally break through, but it didn't really make sense that their better teams couldn't get past the second round. The caps were always my bandwagon team year after year after year and I watched in disbelief when they lost to the likes of Jaroslav Halak, inferior Penguins teams, a couple Lundqvist victimizations. I can't speak for Capitals fans, but it all feels worth it now. 

Also that game was a great display of hockey for anyone wandering in off the street. The clock snafu was so OITGDNHL. Thank god it didn't end up affecting the play. 

Congrats to Vegas on the best first season by an expansion team ever. I'm really really glad they didn't win the Stanley Cup and I think we all avoided a major goof by the league had they won. Feel free to win it all next year, I won't have a problem with it then. 

In a way this is a the opposite of the 2001 Angels.  That team's not the one that should have won a World Series and they could never repeat it even with the Torii Hunter/Vlad Guerrero/Mark Teixeira/62 save K Rod squad of 2008.

The 2006 Cardinals were similarly a lifetime achievement award for 2002, 2004, and 2005, except that team wouldn't have even made the postseason without the rest of the division burping up cat poop all at once, and even this year's Capitals still won the division.

This was one of my favorite tweets about last night (how can something feel like it happened 100 years ago but also feel like it happened like 2 seconds ago?)

I guess there's only one proper way to close out this thread - and boy does CBC/SportsNet just nail these playoff montages every single year. 

The 2006 Colts were not even a top 5 Manning-led Indy team. And they had to play a Wild Card game, no first round bye! 

And THEY won a Super Bowl.

Hell, they had to win their final game just to get the 3 seed over New England.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

The 2006 Cardinals were similarly a lifetime achievement award for 2002, 2004, and 2005, except that team wouldn't have even made the postseason without the rest of the division burping up cat poop all at once, and even this year's Capitals still won the division.

2011 Dallas Mavericks also fit these descriptions.

The Eagle has landed.

Imagine if Ovechkin had signed with the Penguins after one of those postseason losses. All the emotion, all the feelings of finally overcoming failure and redeeming yourself, would all be gone. Sure, his new team would be a juggernaut and he'd probably have 3 Cups by now, but they'd be hollow. Every postseason would turn into a joyless slog towards an inevitable result that nobody enjoys, and not even Ovechkin himself would be able to celebrate because he'd know that he did nothing more than hitch himself to a team that didn't need him.

There's probably a comparable player for this in another sport, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

15 minutes ago, The Six said:

There's probably a comparable player for this in another sport, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

The only one who comes to mind is Kevin Durant with Golden State.

7 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

incredulous.gif

29 minutes ago, The Six said:

Imagine if Ovechkin had signed with the Penguins after one of those postseason losses. All the emotion, all the feelings of finally overcoming failure and redeeming yourself, would all be gone. Sure, his new team would be a juggernaut and he'd probably have 3 Cups by now, but they'd be hollow. Every postseason would turn into a joyless slog towards an inevitable result that nobody enjoys, and not even Ovechkin himself would be able to celebrate because he'd know that he did nothing more than hitch himself to a team that didn't need him.

Wade Boggs? ?

19 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

2uzuplh.jpg

26 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

[insert That’s the Joke meme here]

ANYWAY I kind of find it hilarious all of those “Vegas winning is making so many people mad, hahahaha go Knights go! I WANT TO FEED ON SALT” people have gone quiet. 

Funny, that. 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:29 PM, habsfan1 said:

This june, there will be a Stanley Cup Parade on the Vegas Strip. Screencap this.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:57 PM, habsfan1 said:

If it makes anyone feel better, not only will Vegas raise the Cup this year, but I could also see them repeating next year to become 2-time Cup Champs, looking at how fueled this franchise is.

On 5/20/2018 at 6:22 PM, habsfan1 said:

If it makes anyone here feel better...if the Golden Knights lose the Stanley Cup, this whole run was all for nothing.

:)

This june, there will be a Stanley Cup Parade on the Vegas Strip. Screencap this.

@Ice_Cap I came up short on my prediction. But I came up closer than myself and even others thought. I've seen users scratch off the Capitals, in a response to one of my previous posts, before the first puck drop during Game 1.

For the record, I was going to cheer for Vegas had it been Tampa or Pittsburgh in the east. For some reason, I didn't think the Capitals would be in the picture. When they made it, I wanted to see Ovechkin finally win his Cup, so I had mixed feelings. But I was quite happy with Ovi winning it.

53 minutes ago, The Six said:

36 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Correct.

But there's also Marian Hossa...

2008: Joins Penguins, loses Cup to Red Wings

2009: Joins Red Wings, loses Cup to Penguins

6 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

@Ice_Cap I came up short on my prediction. But I came up closer than myself and others thought. I've seen users scratch off the Capitals, in a response to one of my previous posts, before the first puck drop during Game 1.

And for the record. I was going to pull for Vegas had it been Tampa or Pittsburgh in the east. For some reason, I didn't think the Capitals would be in the picture. When they made it, I wanted to see Ovechkin finally win his Cup, so I had mixed feelings. But I was quite happy with Ovi winning it.

To me the manner in which Vegas was awarded a team, and the manner in which the league allowed them to build the team, made them unlikeable. 

It also ruined the whole “Cinderella” aspect.

Had this been a traditionally assembled expansion team that still made it this far? That would be different. It wasn’t though. It was an expansion team gifted a Stanley Cup champion goaltender, just as an example. 

Obviously there’s a bit of a difference of opinion on that, but I think I can confidently say that I’m not alone in feeling the way I do. 

And I think the way the way a lot of people glommed onto this team just because they liked seeing other people annoyed was pretty mean spirited. 

Seeing a deserving player like Ovie finally break through? It was a great bonus on top of seeing this ridiculous thing finally put to rest. For now at least. 

Watching the Caps celebrate their Cup win is so much more fun to watch than any of the last, say, 11 winners?