ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

24 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

To me the manner in which Vegas was awarded a team, and the manner in which the league allowed them to build the team, made them unlikeable. 

It also ruined the whole “Cinderella” aspect.

Had this been a traditionally assembled expansion team that still made it this far? That would be different. It wasn’t though. It was an expansion team gifted a Stanley Cup champion goaltender, just as an example. 

Obviously there’s a bit of a difference of opinion on that, but I think I can confidently say that I’m not alone in feeling the way I do. 

And I think the way the way a lot of people glommed onto this team just because they liked seeing other people annoyed was pretty mean spirited. 

Seeing a deserving player like Ovie finally break through? It was a great bonus on top of seeing this ridiculous thing finally put to rest. For now at least. 

It wasn't fair that teams could not protect their 2 goalies, if the team were in a dueling goaling scenario like Pittsburgh. If it was 1993 NHL expansion rules, or heck any other year than this year, Vegas would have had no shot whatsover. I completely see that side of things. It's clear Gary Bettman made favorable adjustments because he wanted Vegas to be competive because it's Vegas. I cannot imagine the Nordiques ever receiving these advantages, let alone a team.

When I said I'd cheer for Vegas, it's because I wanted anyone but Pittsburgh and Tampa already won a Cup, but I know this whole situation has two sides for and against. Sorry Cap, my Habs fell flat as usual & I never seen an expansion team do this since the Blues in 67. So even though I'm aware of that side of things, I just coudn't help myself cause I wanted to see any expansion team just go all the way because that doesn't happen everyday.

I'm a BASS listener (long time fan of the podcast, BTW 😉) and I remember a comment made about the need for "justice". And now that it's all set and done, Vegas has officially experienced their first heartbreak moment, so in a way justice has been served. Vegas did not win the Cup they wanted. Only this one...

cut.jpg

What's a better result for the discerning hockey fan? Washington over Vegas or Washington over Winnipeg?

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It wasn't fair that teams could not protect their 2 goalies, if the team were in a dueling goaling scenario like Pittsburgh. If it was 1993 NHL expansion rules, or heck any other year than this year, Vegas would have had no shot whatsover. I completely see that side of things. When I said I'd cheer for Vegas, it's because I wanted anyone but Pittsburgh and Tampa already won a Cup, but I know this whole situation has two sides for and against.

I get the appeal of seeing something that had never been done before. I really do. It’s why I was actually excited to see Tom Brady set the record for most SB wins for a QB despite it being Brady and the Pats.

Whatever you think of them? It was cool seeing history being made. 

This whole thing, however, just seemed forced. It was clear the team was given a multitude of chances no other team had before. It made it feel less special and more manufactured. 

6 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm a BASS listener (long time fan of the podcast, BTW 😉<span> )

6 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

and I remember a comment made about the need for "justice". And now that it's all set and done, Vegas has officially experienced their first heartbreak moment, so in a way justice has been served. Vegas did not win the Cup they wanted.

That’s true. This team had everything going for them. Everything worked. Until it didn’t. 

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What's a better result for the discerning hockey fan? Washington over Vegas or Washington over Winnipeg?

Washington over Winnipeg.

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It wasn't fair that teams could not protect their 2 goalies, if the team were in a dueling goaling scenario like Pittsburgh. If it was 1993 NHL expansion rules, or heck any other year than this year, Vegas would have had no shot whatsover.

Except the 1993 Expansion Draft did only have one protected goalie per team, and it did lead to a tandem team having to give up a fairly good goalie: 
vanbiesbrouck.jpg
If you recall, thanks to Vanbiesbrouck (and the trap, but w/e) the Panthers were arguably the best pre-Knights expansion team, missing the playoffs in 1994 and 1995 by a single point both years, before going to the Finals in 1996. (I don't count the '68 Blues or the '79 WHA merger teams, because those were under fairly unusual circumstances.)

There was quite a bit of goalie-moving before that draft, actually; Beezer was actually taken from Vancouver  because the Rangers traded him there beforehand so they could protect Mike Richter, as had the Nordiques traded Ron Hextall to the Islanders so they could protect Stephane Fiset.

I've been thinking a lot about this - why do new teams need to be crap and pay dues for n# of years until it's OK for them to be good?

used to think like that, but looking at it now through different eyes, wouldn't you want a new team in a new market to be competitive right away?  Obviously an expansion team winning a title is absurd and would delegitimize the whole thing, but having them be watchable and competitive enough to develop a good local following right away could only be a good thing, no?

Ideally, wouldn't a 6 or 7 seed be a good spot for a new NHL or NBA team?  Maybe .500 for an NFL or MLB team?

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've been thinking a lot about this - why do new teams need to be crap and pay dues for n# of years until it's OK for them to be good?

used to think like that, but looking at it now through different eyes, wouldn't you want a new team in a new market to be competitive right away?  Obviously an expansion team winning a title is absurd and would delegitimize the whole thing, but having them be watchable and competitive enough to develop a good local following right away could only be a good thing, no?

Ideally, wouldn't a 6 or 7 seed be a good spot for a new NHL or NBA team?  Maybe .500 for an NFL or MLB team?

You do have a point with that, but the Knights weren't just a 6-7 seed, .500 team*, they were more like if the 1998 Devil Rays won 100 games and the AL Pennant.

* - Ironically with how deep the NHL is now compared to 18-25 years ago, I don't think they needed to alter the expansion draft rules this time - IMO a Knights team built under the older rules might've been a wild card, one-and-done team like you mentioned, instead of an immediate powerhouse.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That’s not what bugs me. What bugs me is the manner in which the Knights’ roster was assembled. 

I would have been fine with it had a traditionally assembled expansion team gone on the run the went on. 

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Obviously an expansion team winning a title is absurd and would delegitimize the whole thing...

There’s that too ;) 

5 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Except the 1993 Expansion Draft did only have one protected goalie per team, and it did lead to a tandem team having to give up a fairly good goalie: 
vanbiesbrouck.jpg
If you recall, thanks to Vanbiesbrouck (and the trap, but w/e) the Panthers were arguably the best pre-Knights expansion team, missing the playoffs in 1994 and 1995 by a single point both years, before going to the Finals in 1996. (I don't count the '68 Blues or the '79 WHA merger teams, because those were under fairly unusual circumstances.)

There was quite a bit of goalie-moving before that draft, actually; Beezer was actually taken from Vancouver  because the Rangers traded him there beforehand so they could protect Mike Richter, as had the Nordiques traded Ron Hextall to the Islanders so they could protect Stephane Fiset.

Yeah, that rule was previously applied at least once prior. Took 'em 3 years to make the Cup final, though.

Even looking back at previously successful expansion teams, no one had it better than Vegas, ever.

I'm of two minds concerning the Knights from here on out:
-My gut feeling tells me have nowhere to go but down now. They won't be surprising anyone anymore; they have actual expectations put upon them now; their guys who had career years are gonna want big fat raises, which will put a strain on their payroll, especially considering they've said they're gonna be spenders in July; plus, George "My Capitals couldn't get past the 2nd round" McPhee has to start making actual player moves that aren't just taking freebies from a more generous draft. They might tread water in the deep pool they've built themselves (I'm not gonna say they will miss the playoffs, because that'd be stupid), but I do think it's all underwater for them from here otherwise.

-Having said that, with their first year out of the way now, if they were to get back to the playoffs next year I'd probably be less salty about it - there is precedent for 2nd-year expansion teams making deep playoff runs, after all (both the Jaguars and Panthers played in the NFL's Conference Championships in 1996), so them making a run in 2019 wouldn't be that unusual on its own. I'll probably never fully get on their side, being another Sunbelt team in a league with too many failing Sunbelt teams as it is, not to mention their stupid name and idiot owner(s); but I at least won't consider their presence in the playoffs a league's reputation-damaging farce anymore. :P

40 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Winnipeg over Washington

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It was an expansion team gifted a Stanley Cup champion goaltender, just as an example. 

And I think the way the way a lot of people glommed onto this team just because they liked seeing other people annoyed was pretty mean spirited. 

In 1999, the Atlanta Thrashers paid about $80 million for an expansion team (I think...correct me if I'm wrong). In their first year, they finished last in their division, never got a off to a good start and some years later were off to Winnipeg... 17 years later, Foley pays $500 million for a franchise. Whether or not you think that a franchise should have gone to Las Vegas, I think that most people were okay with expansion parameters that would be a bit more generous...But what would be the ideal equation? I think that the biggest change in the expansion draft from '99 to'17 was that each team protected 2 less players (again please correct me if I'm wrong). In hindsight, should that maybe have been 1 less player? How could you know what numbers would be the right numbers? You and I know that there are many GMs in this league that would have taken the same opportunity that McPhee had...and would have botched it completely. Then, the VGK's would have finished out of the play-offs and then, those same parameters would have been okay, right?...

Yes, McPhee was given a better leg-up than his predecessors had, but jeez, give him some credit...he rode that pony like a boss. That was some masterful horse-trading there! The Fleury thing was just pure luck. Re: the goalie part of the equation, McPhee was working with the same guidelines as those before him. (I think that Fleury was considered past his prime). Even with McPhee's masterful job, how could he have projected that Fleury would have one of his best years ever, or that several players would elevate their games to the best they ever had or probably ever will. They hired the right coach, implementing the right system, which the players executed. Throw in a lot of puck-luck (how many times through the playoffs did we see Fleury "patting the post"?), and some fortunate timing...(had Hellebuyck been on his A-game in the Vegas series, it would have been Washington-Winnipeg). The whole Vegas success was lightning-in-a-bottle... At a time when the city needed something positive, I find it almost unbelievable that "that something" was given to them by ...a hockey team??...That's great for the fans in Las Vegas, and for the NHL.

As far as being "mean-spirited" I can't believe the hate that was heaped on the VGK franchise, the city and its fans in general. I kinda felt for the fellow board members like Lee Noire that live in Vegas.

I got somewhat involved in the Las Vegas process...I made up the T-shirts for these guys in Las Vegas on their "team-announcement-night"...

yNa1VcL.jpg

...pretty regular folks, with pretty regular jobs, life, etc., that are ecstatic about finally getting a team of their own. I'm happy for them.

Off the ice...yeah, the opening schtick before the games was a little cheesy...but so what. If it works for them..great.

I probably have more reason to dislike Foley as anyone...but I have to give credit where it's due...After the botched name reveal, they seemed to do everything right...the opening night tribute to the victims and responders of the shooting... Deryk Engellend's speech...the players involvement in the community...the relationship with the city...little things like hosting some members of the Humboldt community ...Golden Pipes allowing Winnipeg fans their "True North" moment during the anthem...(telling Carrie Underwood "No Thanks")...etc. etc....I thought they showed a lot of class.

Congratulations to the Golden Knights for a great season...and to the Caps...another great story...the near-perfect ending IMO.

George McPhee, who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat (who was J.R. Smith eight years before J.R. Smith) and wasted years of Ovechkin's career with terrible coaching from Dale Hunter and Adam Oates, does not become a good GM because the Florida Panthers give everyone who works there brain lesions.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

George McPhee, who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat and wasted years of Ovechkin's career with terrible coaching from Dale Hunter and Adam Oates, does not become a good GM because the Florida Panthers give everyone who works there brain lesions.

So; this is all Florida's fault. Marchessault is a great player (while he might not be a "franchise player"), I think could've been the face of the Panthers.

And a player Florida could've built their team around.

But, this is what happens when you get a hard-on for analytics.

I always thought Marchessault topped out at "guy you love to have on your third line when your top two lines kick ass," like Joel Armia, or Kris Versteeg without his skull periodically opening up and his brain tumbling out. I wouldn't have guessed he would have had the season he had, but I also wouldn't have actively given him away for nothing in return.

What the Panthers actually did was worse, which was obsess over analytics to the exclusion of anything else, fail miserably, then overcorrect by going anti-analytics, which made them lose Marchessault and Smith while retaining Derek MacKenzie and Mark Pysyk. 

6 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

In 1999, the Atlanta Thrashers paid about $80 million for an expansion team (I think...correct me if I'm wrong). In their first year, they finished last in their division, never got a off to a good start and some years later were off to Winnipeg... 17 years later,

Yes they were! Why am I focusing on this? Well...

6 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

As far as being "mean-spirited" I can't believe the hate that was heaped on the VGK franchise, the city and its fans in general. I kinda felt for the fellow board members like Lee Noire that live in Vegas.

...come on. Admiral made his distaste for LV as a place known, but so what? Everyone else, myself included, were clearly talking about the team and not the city. 

Now back to why I lead with Atlanta to Winnipeg. 

Two reasons. The first is that TNSE inherited a poorly run Thrashers team and, over seven years, made a Stanley Cup contender out of the Jets 2.0. They had to build off of next to nothing. 

The Knights were gifted a contender right out of the gate to stack the deck in their favour because the NHL didn’t want to be embarrassed by a second desert-bound team going :censored: up (see the Coyotes). 

So as a hockey fan, what impressed me more? What means more? The Jets building up a team from the crapsack they got from Atlanta impresses me. 

The Knights being given a gun to every other GM’s head to build their roster, however, does not. 

I mean for G-d’s sake. How many awful Leafs teams have we sat through? How nice would it have been to just say “screw it,” dump everyone, and rebuild using the Vegas draft terms? 

Second point on the Winnipeg thing. Why don’t you go back in this this thread and check out the mean spirited bs posted immediately after the Jets were eliminated. 

I’m sorry, but “ :censored: you Canada, go Knights so I can feed on everyone’s tears!” is far more mean spirited than people rightfully pointing out how much of a leg up Vegas had in assembling their innagural roster. 

And yeah. I like bringing it up now, because the Knights got bounced in five and everyone “feeding on the tears” of people annoyed at the Knights are quiet. 

Be able to take it if you’re going to give it is all I’m saying. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes they were! Why am I focusing on this? Well...

...come on. Admiral made his distaste for LV as a place known, but so what? Everyone else, myself included, were clearly talking about the team and not the city. 

Now back to why I lead with Atlanta to Winnipeg. 

Two reasons. The first is that TNSE inherited a poorly run Thrashers team and, over seven years, made a Stanley Cup contender out of the Jets 2.0. They had to build off of next to nothing. 

The Knights were gifted a contender right out of the gate to stack the deck in their favour because the NHL didn’t want to be embarrassed by a second desert-bound team going :censored: up (see the Coyotes). 

So as a hockey fan, what impressed me more? What means more? The Jets building up a team from the crapsack they got from Atlanta impresses me. 

The Knights being given a gun to every other GM’s head to build their roster, however, does not. 

I mean for G-d’s sake. How many awful Leafs teams have we sat through? How nice would it have been to just say “screw it,” dump everyone, and rebuild using the Vegas draft terms? 

Second point on the Winnipeg thing. Why don’t you go back in this this thread and check out the mean spirited bs posted immediately after the Jets were eliminated. 

I’m sorry, but “ :censored: you Canada, go Knights so I can feed on everyone’s tears!” is far more mean spirited than people rightfully pointing out how much of a leg up Vegas had in assembling their innagural roster. 

And yeah. I like bringing it up now, because the Knights got bounced in five and everyone “feeding on the tears” of people annoyed at the Knights are quiet. 

Be able to take it if you’re going to give it is all I’m saying. 

a Canadian team winning the Stanley Cup, never will happen under my watch:

Image result for gary bettman

On 4/8/2018 at 2:43 AM, the admiral said:

Guide to the Stanley Cup From a Person Whose Team Unraveled Like a Cheap Sweater Because Only Corey Crawford Could Stop Pucks

1C - Nashville Predators
WHAT'S TO LOVE: predsgirl92
WHAT'S TO HATE: literally everything else imaginable about this insufferable, miles-up-its-own-ass franchise

2WC - Colorado Avalanche

WHAT'S TO LOVE: huge bounceback season, MVP year from Nathan MacKinnon, they put the finishing touch on St. Louis's hilarious swoon, mountain sweaters are back

WHAT'S TO HATE: their snowball's chance in hell against the loathsome Perds

2C - Winnipeg Jets
WHAT'S TO LOVE: career years from Laine/Wheeler/Scheifele/Ehlers, the Weakerthans, THE WHITEOUT!, small-town charm, Winnipeg's hockeyest self-loathing in hockey
WHAT'S TO HATE: you'll have to ask a warm-weather NHL fan because God knows they'll tell you

3C - Minnesota Wild
WHAT'S TO LOVE: Minnesotans, the increased prominence of Scenery Bear
WHAT'S TO HATE: Bruce Boudreau's bad coaching, the feeling that this perpetual first-round out is just taking up space, the name "Wild"

1P - Vegas Golden Knights
WHAT'S TO LOVE: a heartwarming underdog story if you're an idiot
WHAT'S TO HATE: the bend-the-league-over-a-barrel expansion draft, a general manager who punched a Blackhawks coach in the face because of a bad call in a preseason game, James Neal, David Perron, their wretched 100-degree low-culture hellworld city, Quebec City's "deferral," Vegas flu, unsustainable shooting metrics, the utter illegitimacy that their meteoric rise confers on the National Hockey League and perhaps even ice hockey as an entire sport

1WC - Los Angeles Kings
WHAT'S TO LOVE: saying "allegedviolentrapistDrewDoughty" like Vince McMahon saying "allegedrealworld'schampionRicFlair" at Royal Rumble '92
WHAT'S TO HATE: Dustin Brown, success without catatonic weirdo Darryl Sutter

2P - San Jose Sharks
WHAT'S TO LOVE: beards, Tomas Hertl, the NHL's Best Fans, the way they ripped on Winnipeg
WHAT'S TO HATE: all those weird names their players have, the way they ripped on Winnipeg

3P - Anaheim Ducks
WHAT'S TO LOVE: I dunno maybe they drafted the greatest goalie of all time for the fifth time or something 
WHAT'S TO HATE: Ryan Kesler, Ryan Getzlaf, Kevin Bieksa, Corey Perry, the phenomenon wherein you list odious players and Corey Perry ranks fourth

---

1M - Washington Capitals
WHAT'S TO LOVE: the irony of Washington's team being led by EEEEEEEEVIL RUSSIANS!!!! :o:o:o
WHAT'S TO HATE: Barry Trotz's lack of neck, the unimaginable evil most certainly perpetrated by DoD contractors in Northern Virginia

1WC - Columbus Blue Jackets 
WHAT'S TO LOVE: BobroCop, Seth Jones, Artemi Panarin
WHAT'S TO HATE: that dang cannon, whatever John Tortorella did to break Brandon Saad's brain

2M: Pittsburgh Penguins
WHAT'S TO LOVE: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Mike Lange, the Skating Penguin, a cool city
WHAT'S TO HATE: how obnoxious it would be if they three-peated and how it would further diminish the Blackhawks' achievements

3M: Philadelphia Flyers
WHAT'S TO LOVE: Claude Giroux, Shayne Gostisbehere, Travis Konecny, Flyers fans, the hope that this will distract Philly from the 76ers
WHAT'S TO HATE: nothin' really

1A/2A: Boston Bruins
WHAT'S TO LOVE: Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara, Jack Edwards, predicting which elite player they'll trade for an Ogie Oglethorpe this summer
WHAT'S TO HATE: Brad MAW-SHAN, his limbs, his stick, his face

1A/2A: Tampa Bay Lightning
WHAT'S TO LOVE: skilled hockey with a loaded lineup
WHAT'S TO HATE: that they seem to play the NHL like a video game and get whoever they want, Stamkos's rodential face

3A: Toronto Maple Leafs

WHAT'S TO LOVE: the M&M boys, Toronto's long-overdue and VERY IMPORTANT resurgence

WHAT'S TO HATE: Uncle Fester-looking Lamoriello washed up here, Mike Babcock running so much interference you can't call all of it

2WC - New Jersey Devils
WHAT'S TO LOVE: a Devils team without Fatso or Lou Lamoriello, Chico Resch
WHAT'S TO HATE: horsemouthed bitch Taylor Hall ranting to anyone who'll listen about how awful the Oilers are

I'm bumping this topic. As of June 10, 2018, we already know the Caps have hoisted the Cup. But adimiral's point on 2WC is why at 44 years old l am still eternally disappointed with my Blues!!! We get so close........damn!!!!

I stand by my assessment of Taylor Hall as horsemouthed bitch.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:16 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Jackets in 7 :(

On 4/8/2018 at 4:18 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Did you guys know that the word “April” has a root word meaning “pain for Capitals fans”?

On 4/9/2018 at 11:10 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Preds in 4

Jets in 7

Golden Knights in 7

Sharks in 6

Lightning in 6

Maple Leafs in 7 (upset pick)

Jackets in 7 (oof)

Penguins in 5 (ugh)

On 4/12/2018 at 10:40 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Really really bad decision by Burakovsky to gift Lumbus the PP that leads to OT, which yields the Panarin OTGWG. 

Jeremy Roenick said it’s bad mistakes like this which is why the Caps haven’t gotten to the second round in 20 years. I’d love to disagree with him, but I can’t. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:46 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Two boneheaded penalties gifts the Jackets a 4-3 lead after 2. Very well could be all she wrote for Game 2, Caps have looked meh after a great start. 

I mean if we were gonna get eliminated anyway (we were/are), I’d rather lose to ‘Lumbus than to Pittsburgh. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:08 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Gg @McCarthy, ain’t no way my boys are coming back from an L like that. Rather lose to you lot than Pittsburgh. 

Why is is it that goalies always go mental on the Caps in the 1st round? Neuvirth in 2016, Freddy Anderson last year, and now Bobrovsky makes like 60 saves. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:14 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Legitimately, seriously not considering watching Game 3. I love playoff hockey, but I mean this is just too much. Why waste 3 hours of my evening. 

On 4/15/2018 at 11:20 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Crabcake’s 3-point, infallible, 100% plausible plan to fix the Capitals:

1. Move the team to Seattle. 

2. Get an expansion franchise and succeed a la Vegas. 

3. Raise the Cup.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:20 AM, Crabcake47 said:

I'm not really hopeful that we'll win the series; I've almost come to accept the first round elimination and have begun to prefer it over a second round elimination to Pittsburgh.  I'm more just relieved that we won't be swept in OT in all four games, because at this point there's nothing to suggest that every game won't go to OT.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:52 AM, Crabcake47 said:

This postseason is a complete lose-lose for Caps fans.  Either we lose in the first round after already taking the lead in every one of the games in the series so far, or we somehow show some resiliency and some fight and some mental fortitude to overcome Games 1 & 2 only to run into the Caps-postseason buzzsaw that is the Pittsburgh Penguins in Round 2.

Because I have nothing better to do with my time, I've decided to go back and showcase all of my "depressed pessimistic Caps fan" posts to see how poorly they've aged.  Bit of catharsis if you will.  Here is Part 1.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:39 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Unfortunately, you've hit the nail on the head.  This Caps team is worse than last year's imo, especially in defense.  The Caps can't count on their PK completely shutting down the Penguins' power play to nullify all the dumb penalties they took in the series.  I can't see this series going 7.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:02 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Predators in 7 (Jets will be the better team and jump out to a lead and then choke it away) 

Golden Knights in 6 (to the ire of basically everyone here) 

Lightning in 7 (no confidence with the way Rask played in that series)

Penguins in 6 (inevitable.)

On 4/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, Crabcake47 said:

2-2. This feels very familiar. 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, Crabcake47 said:

:(

On 4/26/2018 at 9:23 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Can we get a “sinking depression following the realization that you are a Caps fan” entry next year for the GTOV?

On 4/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, Crabcake47 said:

When the game tying goal is being blocked with the inside of Matt Murray’s blocker, it’s hopeless. 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:44 PM, Crabcake47 said:

I truly believe that it would take Crosby or Sullivan or some other major Penguins leader to come out with bulletin board material the level of “it doesn’t matter what we do or how poorly we play, we’ll always beat them because they’re the Caps and they can’t do crap against us” for Washington to go super saiyan enough to win the series. And even then Crosby would net a Game 7 PP GWG in OT because Tom Wilson punched Matt Murray in the head while 3 officials were looking straight at him. 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Should we just rename this thread to “watch as Crabcake slowly descends into madness”

On 4/26/2018 at 10:01 PM, Crabcake47 said:

The worst part is that I haven’t become numb to it yet. 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Washington has a mental block about Pittsburgh in the playoffs like I’ve never seen any team have before. I saw something on twitter that said that this collapse feels like two games in one. That’s pretty accurate unfortunately. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:40 AM, Crabcake47 said:

The Golden Knights are going to win more second round series than Alex Ovechkin. 

Is is there room for one more on the Vegas hate bandwagon?

On 4/29/2018 at 8:21 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Caps actually don't blow a two goal lead, tie up series 1-1. 

This means absolutely nothing. 

On 5/2/2018 at 7:02 AM, Crabcake47 said:

I could not have put it better myself. Until they beat the Penguins two more times, all these leads and good performances mean absolutely nothing. 

On 5/2/2018 at 8:59 AM, Crabcake47 said:

I have this really sickening feeling that the Caps are going to win Thursday, go up 3-1, and blow it in 7, meaning that if they would have prevented the five minute meltdown of Game 1, they would have wrapped up the series already. 

On 5/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, Crabcake47 said:

Caps-Pens is now a best of 3.

This series is just barreling towards another Game 7 victory for Pittsburgh, isn't it?

On 5/5/2018 at 7:36 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Welcome back, playoff Caps. You were not missed. 

On 5/5/2018 at 10:10 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Well, not gonna lie I wasn’t expecting that response. Thought we would have rolled over and thrown in the towel at 3-2, but a good response. 

This means absolutely nothing yet. 

On 5/6/2018 at 2:41 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Guys, I’ve seen the script for the rest of the series. It’s not pretty. 

Penguins jump out to a 2-0 lead after 1, Caps come back and score 2 in the second and another in the third to take a 3-2 lead. The Penguins then tie the game with 1:25 remaining on a deflection with the net empty, win the game on a PPG in OT off of a Crosby dive, then win Game 7 1-0. 

On 5/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Until we are shown otherwise, pessimism is encouraged in the land of Capitals fandom. 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:41 PM, Crabcake47 said:

This game has a feeling of such inevitability to it. 

On 5/7/2018 at 8:55 PM, Crabcake47 said:

This already feels so like Game 7. If the Caps lose this one, it’ll be backbreaking considering how many chances they had at a second in, uh, the second. 

Here is Part 2, aka the Penguins series.  Unsurprisingly, there are nearly twice the amount of depressed, pessimistic posts against them as in the first round.