The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

In what may be the least surprising move of the NHL offseason, Ottawa has traded Mike Hoffman to San Jose. 

And he was just flipped to Florida.

VmWIn6B.png

18 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Apparently there was a clause in his contract where if he won the Cup, his contract got a two year extension automatically. All they had to do was negotiate the details and apparently they couldn’t do that. 

I’m sad to see him go. He has to go down now as the best coach in Caps history, what with 2 President’s Trophies (in a row), 3 division titles (in a row), and a Cup. However, the Caps have been grooming his assistant, Todd Reirden, now for a while to take over for him. 

Thank you Barry for all you did for this fanbase. It will not soon be forgotten. Short of being hired by the Penguins, Rangers, or Flyers, I think Trotz will always have a great reception in D.C. for what he did for this team. I wish him well in all his future endeavors. 

Bold prediction: Trotz “retires” only to un-retire in 2020 when Seattle starts playing to coach them. Without a guarantee from Tavares that he’s staying, why would a coach of his quality go to the Islanders?

Trotz wanted five years and more $$$, much more than the 20% raise the team was going to give.

I'm disappointed that Trotz and the Caps couldn't hammer out an extension.

But boy oh boy; is a majority of the Capitals' fan-base itchin' for a riot.

This makes the owner and GM look incredibly miserly and cheap, but what most didn't know before they gave into mob mentality was that both sides tried until the midnight hour to get an extension, and both sides just couldn't come to a formal agreement. There was too much of a distance between them to get them to common ground.

Rumblings coming out was that Trotz...apparently wasn't all that keen on coaching all the young talent on Washington, and a lot of the credit should be going to the associate coach (who's now the new head man) Todd Reirden.

It was an amazing ride for both Trotz and the Capitals; but it's not the way both sides should've parted ways.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I hope Sharks fans welcome back Mike Hoffman when he returns to San Jose with the Panthers. No hard feelings. Just a business decision.

"I will remember you.... Will you remember me?"

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The NHL has punished the Caps for beating their precious Golden Knights in the final, as they somehow don’t schedule the Caps vs. the Pens for their home opener to allow them to get revenge for last year. Poor Bettman couldn’t handle Vegas losing to a “bunch of chokers”. 

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

The NHL has punished the Caps for beating their precious Golden Knights in the final, as they somehow don’t schedule the Caps vs. the Pens for their home opener to allow them to get revenge for last year. Poor Bettman couldn’t handle Vegas losing to a “bunch of chokers”. 

Yeah, let's have Washington raise their first Stanley Cup banner against Boston of all teams.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Yeah, let's have Washington raise their first Stanley Cup banner against Boston of all teams.

That’s not even the worst of it as well. You know who the Penguins’ home opener is against? The Capitals. On the very next night. 

So not only do the Caps not get to raise a banner against their most hated rivals, after they did it to us last year, but they have to start the season with a back-to-back, the second half of which is a home game for said rivals. 

You’d think Gary Bettman would be able to hide his ire for the Capitals better than that. Well, maybe not. 

spacer.png

42 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

That’s not even the worst of it as well. You know who the Penguins’ home opener is against? The Capitals. On the very next night. 

So not only do the Caps not get to raise a banner against their most hated rivals, after they did it to us last year, but they have to start the season with a back-to-back, the second half of which is a home game for said rivals. 

You’d think Gary Bettman would be able to hide his ire for the Capitals better than that. Well, maybe not. 

If they couldn't give Washington the ability to rub their Championship in Pittsburgh's nose on Opening Night; you think maybe they would've played the Islanders, or Rangers; both who tormented Washington as much as Pittsburgh did over the past few decades.

The only tormenting Boston did to Washington was a sweep by the Bruins in 1991-1992 ECF.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Agonizing over Banner Night opponents is a good way to get upset over nothing. The Blackhawks raised their 2013 banner against, of all teams, the Washington Capitals. The Hawks actually won, which incidentally was maybe the only time they've beaten Washington in like the last ten years -- god knows the Hawks never win in DC. They didn't open against Boston, the team they beat for the Cup, or Detroit, their greatest rival and the team they had just sent to the Eastern Conference with their balls kicked up to their chest cavity. Whatever. Won the Cup.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's now official.  Barry Trotz is the new head coach of the New York Islanders.

Now if Lou gets Tavares to resign he'll have done more in a month than Garth Snow did in twelve years.  So this is what it's like to have good management and be a real team.  It's been so long I forgot what it feels like.

Archived