The 2018 NHL Silly Season: Dilly Dilly

buzzcut

1 minute ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Is Trotz feeling silly leaving Washington for the Isles; now that they lost their franchise player?

He coached a team where his best forward was, like, Colin Wilson, and they had to fire him to get him to leave. I don't think he was blindsided by the news. They'll whip something up with Barzal, Ho-Sang, Wahlstrom, and whatever else is on hand. Tavares was on worse Islander teams than this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This is my thought. It's a whole new era for the Islanders with Lamoriello/Trotz, but Tavares probably would have liked time to actually experience this new regime to evaluate whether or not he was going to stay on Long Island. The new arena is at least three seasons away (no shovels even in the ground until at least next year), so almost 40% of a hypothetical 8-year deal on the Island would be spent in an awkward split between Barclays and Nassau. If there's a year delay, then it's half the contract; ask the Rams how easy it is to have a big construction project hit snags. If I were an Isles fan, I think I would honestly just be glad that I like the management team in place, and expect the team to be competitive again by the time the team comes home full-time with the new arena.

The arena situation also goes back to Wang's ineptitude, greed, and inability to navigate the political process in Nassau County.  Wang hired Snow after the forty days of Neil Smith.  The team was run like a country club for the last close to twenty years.  Malkin and Ledecly were minority owners for two years before taking over as majority owners at the beginning of last year and should have done their due diligence on Snow, and fired him the day they took over.

I was excited, for the first time in a very long time rooting for this team with the hire of Lamoriello, and over the moon when they brought Trotz on board...only to be kicked in the nuts again with Tavares leaving.  They're going to have a lot of work to do.  Before them coming I fully expected Tavares to walk, and at this point, I wouldn't be shocked if Trotz, Lamoriello or both walked away post-haste.  It's the Islander way.

Unlike the majority of Islander fans, my anger is directed solely at Wang, Snow, and to a slightly lesser extent Malkin.  They sat by and did nothing to improve the team, improve the culture around the team or improve management until it was too late.  Malkin waited until the last minute to make changes that should have been made last year.  If I was Tavares' agent I would have handled his impending UFA the same way (no extension a  year early) no benefit of the doubt, and no hometown discount.  I don't begrudge him leaving I think he reached his breaking point and I don't blame him one bit.

I just hope Lou/Trotz are still here when the new building opens but I'm taking a step back in my Isles fandom until I see some proof the on-ice product is improving.  

1 minute ago, tp49 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Trotz, Lamoriello or both walked away post-haste.  It's the Islander way.

If we can get real here, my reaction to getting those guys would probably be something I call the Rex Ryan Effect: "Oh, wow, we got him? There must be something wrong with him."

22 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Is Trotz feeling silly leaving Washington for the Isles; now that they lost their franchise player?

In four years, Trotz gave the Caps four playoff appearances, three division titles, two President's Trophies, and a Stanley Cup. They were hardballing him by letting his contract go down to the final months; they were setting up to fire him if there was another playoff disappointment, and everyone knew it. So then to come out with some BS about how they didn't want to have the same head coach for nine years? I think that's pretty insulting to Trotz. I'd sign up for four years like the Caps just had.

Edit: Also, the last time Trotz had a team with less than 38 wins (ignoring the short season) was 2002-2003.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

If we can get real here, my reaction to getting those guys would probably be something I call the Rex Ryan Effect: "Oh, wow, we got him? There must be something wrong with him."

I remember how Neil Smith was our GM for forty days then left to be replaced by the effing backup goalie.  

Such a surreal moment to be a Maple Leaf fan right now. I'm still trying to soak it all in. The opportunity this team has, it is amazing. A very exciting time to be a Leaf fan. 100% I'll be drinking tonight lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Hi, Pittsburgh native popping in to say that while I still feel good about the general construction of the Penguins, handing Jack Johnson a 5 year contract and 62 year-old Matt Cullen any type of contact sure does take a little luster off of all of the recent success.

But, you know. GG Torontonians. I'm not complaining.

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hi, Pittsburgh native popping in to say that while I still feel good about the general construction of the Penguins, handing Jack Johnson a 5 year contract and 62 year-old Matt Cullen any type of contact sure does take a little luster off of all of the recent success.

Yeah I gotta agree. I read an article that had some troubling numbers on Johnson. Since entering the NHL he is dead last at a -109. He has been a plus player once since coming into the league in 2006-07. He is coming off a career worst offensive year and was a healthy scratch on a fringe playoff team that got bounced in the first round. A 5 year contract looks real bad imo. Which means I’m happy!

In less happy news, Jay Beagle has left the Caps after spending his entire career in this organization. He goes to the ‘Nucks on a 4 year, $12 million deal. 

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think Jim Rutherford is realizing he's Jim Rutherford.

9 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

So, does Toronto top the pre-season bets as the favorites to win the Cup?

I'm still not confident in our goaltending situation. Nor happy about the fact that Jake Gardiner has yet to be launched into the sun.

16 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

So, does Toronto top the pre-season bets as the favorites to win the Cup?

As long as it’s not-Washington, I’m happy. 

spacer.png

St. Louis receives:

Ryan O'Reilly

Buffalo receives:

Patrik Berglund

Tage Thompson

Vladimir Sobotka

2019 1st Rounder

2021 2nd Rounder

A partridge in a pear tree

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Jack Johnson's advanced stats have been less than good since he came into the league, which was long enough ago that it's safe to say this is who he is. Now, if you play him on your third pair he'll be fine, but that's a lot of money to give to a 3rd pair guy. You can have him. We'll get better production out of some guy named Dean Kukan and that's not even a joke. 

Also very amused that they signed a free agent named R. Nash. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

54 minutes ago, LMU said:

"Big Game" James Neal to Calgary.

Nevadans get their first opportunity at a good ole jersey burning.

First they lose the championship, and now they lose their star second line winger? When will it end for those poor Knights fans?

spacer.png

Archived