What expansion teams mascot could have been.

Esco

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

When St. Louis was in the running for one of the two 93 expansion teams, the team name was reportedly going to be the St. Louis Stallions.

I really like that nickname and wish it would be used somewhere in one of the big four, but I doubt it will.

Anyway, Jacksonville got the franchise and the Rams moved to St. Louis, so I don't imagine anything major came of it.

No, it was going to be Stallions and there was a logo and jerseys designed and all ...

33630910900_3d3c33eb79_o.jpg

33886642291_74021934bb_o.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Back in 08 when the Rays removed the "Devil" from their name, they were considering changing their name completely. 

The names that were considered include:

- Cannons

- Aces

- Bandits

- Dukes

- Stripes

and the worst of them all...

- Nine

The owner, Stu Sternberg, actually really liked Nine and tried to get it to stick, but thank God that didn't work out.

Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Lots of interesting stuff.

• Imagine the discussions on this board, and in general, if Atlanta (NFL) had gone with the Confederates.
  • The NFL page says that the Vikings are the first team to use a state instead of a City and the MLB page makes no mention of the "Minnesota" part of Twins.  The Twins were the first team to take the field with a state name...but I suppose the Vikings may have been named before the Twins, since expansion teams are usually announced far in advance.  
  • According the the MLB page, the Colt company provided some pressure to dump the Colt .45 name. Surprising; seems like free advertising.  I'm glad that happened though, as I'd be getting burned out on the debate over that one by now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

27 minutes ago, evoquik said:

Back in 08 when the Rays removed the "Devil" from their name they were considering changing their names completely. 

- Cannons

- Aces

- Bandits

- Dukes

- Stripes

- Nine

The owner, Stu Sternberg, actually really liked Nine and tried to get it to stick, but thank God that didn't work out.

Ive been around Tampa since long before the Rays were established, and have never heard these details before.  is there a link with background?

21 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Ive been around Tampa since long before the Rays were established, and have never heard these details before.  is there a link with background?

If you count Wikipedia as a credible source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Tampa_Bay_Rays

Other than that, I think I remember the TB Times back in '08 mentioning the names that were considered in their article about the name change. I can't find any online articles from them (even though it wasn't the TB Times back then) regarding the name change, but I definitely remember some article about it back in the day.

7 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

I like "Nine."

The Tampa Bay Nine! You could come up with whatever identity you want. Total creativity. Classic or modern uniforms. Tons of fun.

Let's apply it to other sports...

Green Bay Eleven

Golden State Five

Edmonton Six

On 4/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, evoquik said:

Let's apply it to other sports...

Green Bay Eleven

Golden State Five

Edmonton Six

There is a difference in that baseball teams have history of being referred to as the (insert place) nine.  ("the Mudville Nine" in Casey at the Bat, and I think in the early part of the 20th Century, people would say things like "Did the local nine beat Chicago today?")  That said, I still don't like the name.  It seems like forced quirkiness.  In theory this could have happened to another team during the deadball era and that would be pretty cool.  But I'm not a fan of creating a history that did not happen (and could not with a team that started in 1998).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, evoquik said:

Back in 08 when the Rays removed the "Devil" from their name they were considering changing their names completely. 

- Cannons

- Aces

- Bandits

- Dukes

- Stripes

- Nine

BewitchedOrganicBlesbok-size_restricted.

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

http://espn991.com/what-were-the-other-nickname-entries-for-the-nhl-in-minnesota/

White Bears and Freeze were also considered.  Wild is probably the worst, but Freeze is right there with it. It would have been Minnesota's answer to Miami Heat, I guess.  Totally uninspired but at least more obviously understandable than Wild.  I definitely agree that Voyageurs was the best pick.  White Bears may as well have been Polars...yeah, there are no polar bears in Minnesota, but there are no Penguins in Pittsburgh. Northern lights is a bit cheesy, but is gold in comparison to Wild.  I don't love Blue Ox, but it makes some sense and does a better job of hitting the "unique without being stupid" than Wild. (I guess the theme is "but still better than wild")  I'd rank 'em:

1. Voyageurs
  2. Blue Ox
  3. Northern Lights
  4. White Bears
  5. Freeze
  6. Wild

Overall, I think the top three are solid, while #4 and #5 are "better than Wild."  It's really infuriating that they picked that silly name and even the great logo does not make up for it.  

Maybe it's just my bias of being raised on the name, but I think that Wild is better than the name Freeze. But the rest are all better. I think Voyageurs is a great name, but I also have a soft spot for White Bears. That might just be because I'm from White Bear :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Maybe it's just my bias of being raised on the name, but I think that Wild is better than the name Freeze. But the rest are all better. I think Voyageurs is a great name, but I also have a soft spot for White Bears. That might just be because I'm from White Bear :P

I'll listen to arguments that it's better than Freeze because Freeze is just so uninspired and lame.  I give Freeze the edge because at least it's immediately understandable.

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, evoquik said:

- Cannons

- Aces

- Bandits

- Dukes

- Stripes

- Nine

1. That’s OK, I guess. I’m sure we’d love to have CBJ’s Boomer rep a baseball team.

2. That’s decent, as I can see both a gambling and an aviation theme emerge from that name. It presents a lot of options for a neo-retro or modern identity.

3. Too close to Pirates. I get the tie -in with the Bucs/USFL Bandits, but it’s too close to Pittsburgh’s name to work.

4. I like this one, but it’d have to be a medieval/Renaissance Europe theme. You can’t do something like the old Albuquerque Dukes these days, because of all the negativity around the Spanish Conquistadores.

5. I’m not sure where to go with this one. Does the name mean “pinstripes” (with the Yankees in the division, no thanks) or “trim stripes?” The first would be derivative, while the latter could get messy.

6. That’s just really hard to pull off in a sensible manner. I guess saying somebody was “a Nine” is better than saying they were “a Wild” or “a Thunder,” but then that rubs up on the term “niner.” A super-retro identity could work with that name, but it’s ill-fitting for the Trop or any of the stadium designs proposed in Tampa. 

Just adding a “Sting” to the Rays name would have been enough. 

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

I'll listen to arguments that it's better than Freeze because Freeze is just so uninspired and lame.  I give Freeze the edge because at least it's immediately understandable.

You can say insert player name here was “a Freezer.” That’s kind of funny.

Might be biased since I am a Die Hard Ravens fan but... "The Baltimore Ravens" has to be one of the coolest team names in all of sports. I love all the work they have done to the teams headquarters to give it a nice gothic theme-

_DSC3323%20copy-L.jpg

qpzsijp.jpgCgnpxfi.jpg

lYHvkg4.jpg

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:
  • According the the MLB page, the Colt company provided some pressure to dump the Colt .45 name. Surprising; seems like free advertising.  I'm glad that happened though, as I'd be getting burned out on the debate over that one by now.

I'm sure they would have become the Houston Colts by the 90s.

kimball banner.png

Archived